NJ Boating Safety Certificate

w_b

Safety Certificate needed for operation of any power vessel anywhere on NJ waters. Endorsement needed only for power vessel operation on non- tidal waters.

At least that’s how it used to be. There’s no way NJ would ever do anything intuitively or consistently.

We were boarded by the CG in SH bay in ‘19 and required to show the BSC, state issued ID, registration, flares, horn, PFDs. Boarded by NY DEP in RB in ‘18 and all we needed to show was no undersized fish. YMMV.

and don’t forget about the fishing license or saltwater angler registry card if that’s your thing.

Last edited:

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Safety Certificate needed for operation of any power vessel anywhere on NJ waters. Endorsement needed only for power vessel operation on non- tidal waters.

At least that’s how it used to be. There’s no way NJ would ever do anything intuitively or consistently.

We were boarded by the CG in SH bay in ‘19 and required to show the BSC, state issued ID, registration, flares, horn, PFDs. Boarded by NY DEP in RB in ‘18 and all we needed to show was no undersized fish. YMMV.

and don’t forget about the fishing license or saltwater angler registry card if that’s your thing.
What is a saltwater angler registry?

Ive been boarded a number of times and never asked for a cert, USCG just wanted to see non expired flares, charged fire extinguisher, and life jackets.

serviceguy

It's too bad (but no surprise) that NJ is so archaic and still requires and in-person exam.
Just noticed this. I find just logic that if the State issues a certification of some sort is also making sure it's the actual person taking the test and not somebody else.
Just finished the on-line course - scheduled the test for Saturday morning.
Might see someone i know at the Raritan Police Station - looking forward to burning suburbans. ;)

Did the course over 3 sessions in 3 days - it is 5 hours, and they have a timer running to make sure it lasts 5 hours.
Their quiz questions are about as dumb as they come, so i hope the test is like that.
only 1 sensical answer.

$40 for the course
$50 for the test
$18 then a trip to the MVC (DMV) for the endorsement on the license.

Then i'll be able to operate the yacht legally.
Did you take the test or had a boat taking it for you? ;) pun on the word boat/bot, just in case the my sarcasm were to get lost in translation

Over the Bars

I have the 'BOAT'

Confirm, the rule is both on for non tidal waters. No experience.
Tidal waters only the safety cert.

I guess it's about the $ to have the BOAT stamp.

My friend cruises with no insurance. What are the consequences?
All waters you need the boat saftey cert. For non tidal nj waters if you are operating a vessel with under 10hp you do not need the boat license endorsement when you go over 10 hp on non tidal waters you now need both the boat license and the boat saftey course. Many years ago you only needed a. Boat license this was changed and everyone needs the boat safety course.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
My friend cruises with no insurance. What are the consequences

you pay damages and judgements out of pocket. Certainly you can self insure your boat, but an endorsement on your homeowners for damage or injury to others is a good idea. Cheap enough

JerseyPete

you pay damages and judgements out of pocket. Certainly you can self insure your boat, but an endorsement on your homeowners for damage or injury to others is a good idea. Cheap enough
Same for flying right? No one is going to "pull you over" while flying without insurance, but if something goes wrong, you are getting sued.

rick81721

Lothar
I have the 'BOAT'

Confirm, the rule is both on for non tidal waters. No experience.
Tidal waters only the safety cert.

I guess it's about the $ to have the BOAT stamp.

My friend cruises with no insurance. What are the consequences?

Boat US is a great option - if you have a new boat they pay back 100% of what you paid for the boat during the first 5 years (ask how I know!). Plus they include towing in case you break down - never had to use that aspect fortunately.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did the course over 3 sessions in 3 days - it is 5 hours, and they have a timer running to make sure it lasts 5 hours.
Their quiz questions are about as dumb as they come, so i hope the test is like that.
only 1 sensical answer.
I took the exam last fall. The questions are indeed as dumb as they come.

When I registered for the exam they sent a link to this course review:

Everything you need to know for the test is in that 20 minute video.

Patrick

Staff member
Same for flying right? No one is going to "pull you over" while flying without insurance, but if something goes wrong, you are getting sued.

Getting pulled over -> intercepted. This happens when you fly into restricted space.
Get up close and personal with an F-16, or CG helicopter. They'll let you know where to land.

----

No insurance required - but we do
carry insurance to repair/replace the plane . also for injury to passengers, people on the ground, or OPP.

the equivalent to the coast guard boarding is called a ramp check. All the paperwork in place,
things work that supposed to (if it is installed, it should work, with some exceptions), and that you are "fit to fly"
If they observe you doing something stupid, you can get cited. This would include a controller reporting you.
if ya do something really stupid, like buzz a house, and they get your number, that usually turns out badly.

-----

if there is a loan securing the plane, they may require insurance.

JPark

Getting pulled over -> intercepted. This happens when you fly into restricted space.
Get up close and personal with an F-16, or CG helicopter. They'll let you know where to land.

----

No insurance required - but we do
carry insurance to repair/replace the plane . also for injury to passengers, people on the ground, or OPP.

the equivalent to the coast guard boarding is called a ramp check. All the paperwork in place,
things work that supposed to (if it is installed, it should work, with some exceptions), and that you are "fit to fly"
If they observe you doing something stupid, you can get cited. This would include a controller reporting you.
if ya do something really stupid, like buzz a house, and they get your number, that usually turns out badly.

-----

if there is a loan securing the plane, they may require insurance.
Can you buzz a house if you refer to yourself as "Ghostrider"?

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I misplaced mine many years ago. I emailed the organization 3 months ago. Finally, got an email they will be sending me a new one last week. Actually really surprised they don't charge you. Now they will start to charge going forward....
Ok I'm being lazy, what email did you use? I had one long time ago.

Patrick

Staff member
60 questions. Need 80% to pass.
You could go in cold and if you had ever been on a boat you'd pass. The questions are almost always obvious given the choices.

Ie

What is critical to properly fit a PFD?
A the age of the pfd
B the age of the wearer
C the chest size and weight of the wearer
D children should use floaties

Seriously.

9AF1F07B-354B-48DF-B83D-E6B4C54B2F29.jpeg

Over the Bars

60 questions. Need 80% to pass.
You could go in cold and if you had ever been on a boat you'd pass. The questions are almost always obvious given the choices.

Ie

What is critical to properly fit a PFD?
A the age of the pfd
B the age of the wearer
C the chest size and weight of the wearer
D children should use floaties

Seriously.

View attachment 154211
Yeah the test is a joke . The real question is what kind of boat are you getting 😂

Top Bottom