NJ Backcountry Skiing Spots????

ebarker9

Looks like fun. Are you guys on BC stuff or XC? And how are you controlling speed/making turns when coming down? Tele style?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Looks like fun. Are you guys on BC stuff or XC? And how are you controlling speed/making turns when coming down? Tele style?
We are both on regular old downhill skis. Hike up, ski down.

The spot where I wiped out is pretty tight so there is very little room for turns, but generally in the fresh stuff you don’t get moving too quickly, so you can just cruise with some nice sweeping turns if you feel like it. Otherwise you can ski as well as @kearneyb and pop a lot of quick turns in a small area, or you can be like me and bomb straight and try to scrub some speed here and there... and if all else fails just use your whole body as a brake.

btw - the rock walls across the pipeline are skiable. You can just go right over them.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
If these weren't $300...
Hike it up, and ski down in a snowboard boot.

View attachment 151337

i don't think a snowboard will work on the pipeline?? flat areas are a pain.
maybe down the left side?
If you don’t stop, you’ll have enough juice. Looking down from the top I would definitely stay left. That’s where we are starting. Plenty of snow and a better pitch.

one piece crank

If these weren't $300...
Hike it up, and ski down in a snowboard boot.

Patrick - We have a couple sets of these. I like them better than any skis I've owned. If you like snowshoes, these are snowshoes that glide! They have synthetic skins on the bottom so you can climb, plus you can wear any type of footwear, and the bindings accommodate well beyond my size 14 snow boots.

Altai_Hok_Skis.jpg

JerseyPete

Patrick - We have a couple sets of these. I like them better than any skis I've owned. If you like snowshoes, these are snowshoes that glide! They have synthetic skins on the bottom so you can climb, plus you can wear any type of footwear, and the bindings accommodate well beyond my size 14 snow boots.
I have these too. I will eventually get the Excursion boots and 3 pin set up. I hear it gives more control.

stilluf

While I was snow shoeing at Watchung Reservation, saw some ski tracks heading down hill. Vertical was pretty steep, and landscape opens up and plenty snow. Looked like fun!

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Snowshoeing at Wildcat made me wish I had my snowboard on my back. 4 Birds looks like a perfect place to drop some big pillowy rocks.
I don’t know Wildcat too well, but if it’s anything like Mahlon with fire roads cross-crossing everything, that could be good fun.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone have any intel on Snow Bowl at the moment? I’ve never tried it but a friend is talking about some local BC adventuring and I recall some of you mentioning this. A quick google search has me very intrigued. It’s like 4 miles from my house so I feel like o have to try it....

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure what intel you are looking for exactly, but if you go there you will see lots of ski tracks.
I just knew nothing about it. Now I’m mad there is something this close that I haven’t explored. It should have an epic base at this point.... gonna check it out this week.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I just knew nothing about it. Now I’m mad there is something this close that I haven’t explored. It should have an epic base at this point.... gonna check it out this week.

i sent you out 2 months ago to get it figured!

i still thinks a couple people could figure out a craigmere shuttle
(would require snowmobile or track vehicle)

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone have any intel on Snow Bowl at the moment? I’ve never tried it but a friend is talking about some local BC adventuring and I recall some of you mentioning this. A quick google search has me very intrigued. It’s like 4 miles from my house so I feel like o have to try it....

you should try walking up that hill while there is no snow first :D

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i sent you out 2 months ago to get it figured!

i still thinks a couple people could figure out a craigmere shuttle
(would require snowmobile or track vehicle)
Maybe Stephens (Budd Lake side to Kinney), Wildcat (reservoir to bat cave), Dickerson Mine, etc can be shuttled? I dunno it doesn't seem very "backcountry" to me to be shuttling doe.

Top Bottom