Niner..

P

Phatbiker

The Jet 9 should be ready to ship in FEB. They have every other frame in stock now with the exception of some small and XL frames.

The 80mm travel Jet 9 should be plenty of travel for most folks.

Figure that 3" on a 29er is like 4-4.5" on a 26er. This is hard to grasp until you ride a few dual Sus 29ers.

J_

glad you're on board with niner bikes! i have a sir 9 set up as a single speed and i love it.

i want to respectfully disagree with the statement about 3" on a 29er is like 4-4.5" on a 26er.

like yourself i have ridden many 29ers, both fulls squish and rigid. i presently own a 29er racer X 29er titanium and its 3" of rear travel does not feel at all like the 4" of rear travel that my 26" version of the same bike did. the bike does behave differently but i would not say that it feels like it has the same amount of travel. i think the real benefit is the additional traction that the large wheels provide and that they do seam to go over small to med sizes rocks a bit easier. to me, the travel is the same no matter what size wheel.

i hope you don't mind my difference in opinon. it's just that i would hate to be a guy that was expecting his new 29er to feel like his old 26er did (travel wise) only to be dissapointed or confused by this.

nelson

Last edited by a moderator:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
right on..

glad you're on board with niner bikes! i have a sir 9 set up as a single speed and i love it.

i want to respectfully disagree with the statement about 3" on a 29er is like 4-4.5" on a 26er.

like yourself i have ridden many 29ers, both fulls squish and rigid. i presently own a 29er racer X 29er titanium and its 3" of rear travel does not feel at all like the 4" of rear travel that my 26" version of the same bike did. the bike does behave differently but i would not say that it feels like it has the same amount of travel. i think the real benefit is the additional traction that the large wheels provide and that they do seam to go over small to med sizes rocks a bit easier. to me, the travel is the same no matter what size wheel.

i hope you don't mind my difference in opinion. it's just that i would hate to be a guy that was expecting his new 29er to feel like his old 26er did (travel wise) only to be disappointed or confused by this.

nelson

Hey Nelson,

I think I overstated this. I respect your opinion.

To clarify, I never thought I would EVER ride an alloy hardtail again. Somehow the big wheels smooth things out enough that I am once again on a alloy hardtail. I was using this as a basis for my claim. 29" wheels might not add an inch of suspension feel but they add something. (maybe a 1/4 inch??)

You are certainly right in the case of the Titus. I wanted to like that bike so much. When they sent me one to ride here in NJ I just couldn't make myself love it. To be fair it had lesser parts than I would spec and it was a Med on which i needed a 130 stem to get comfortable. It felt like it should do more with the given travel.

I rode every 29" bike I could in Vegas and I came out loving the 4" travel 29 Moots. Being a 7 dealer Moots wasn't a good fit so I concentrated on Titus for a bit.

Titus seemed unmotivated by 29. They acted like they were pressured into making them. In fact when i pressed the sales manager about it he said that he had never ridden a 29er.

Titus makes some really good stuff but when I began speaking with Brett at Niner I got a much better vibe on the whole 29 deal.

At first I was put off by Niner, but as I realized that a good frame can come from Taiwan and that it need not cost $1500 I became more comfortable with them. I quickly caught on to their Passion and their goal which was to make a good frame that most folks could afford or almost afford.

Now that a few of their frames have come through the shop I am certain that I made a good choice.

The addition of the Jet should make a lot of folks happy. I will certainly report back after I get some real time on one.

In the 29" world Haro, Cannondale, Seven and Niner are all on board with varying degrees of enthusiasm and commitment. This mix can offer something for most tastes. I feel good about stocking all these brands this year. There are some things about the C-dale that have been worked out in their 2nd year that have improved their effort.

It has been cool to watch the 29" thing grow. I especially love to see tall guys get on one for the 1st time. It is almost like they have been cheated all these years and now they are home. Admittedly I never thought it would get this big but now I think it will be hard to stop.

Sorry to ramble. (red wine induced typing)..

j-

D

DANSPANK

Side note: Our company's contract logistics division is handling the nationwide distribution of Niner frames. I've just written an article in our customer newsletter about it. I have friends at Niner now too!

D

DANSPANK

I'll see what I can do. If you don't hear from me for a few weeks then it's likely that I got caught and am serving time for theft. Can someone please feed my dog?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I'll see what I can do. If you don't hear from me for a few weeks then it's likely that I got caught and am serving time for theft. Can someone please feed my dog?

I would but your dog is scared of me.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
That guy has sunset shots dialed pretty well, nice foregrounds and stuff. Nothing worse than a sunset shot that is JUST the sunset.

That being said, have I mentioned lately that people from the general monmouth junction area SUCK? :D

Top Bottom