Niner SIR 9 Cable Routing Bracket

Shaggz

A strong 7
I have an OG SIR 9 originally owned by @Fogerson. Was always setup SS, and is now being relegated to geared gravel duty. I reached out to Niner about purchasing the cable routing bracket, and they do not have no record of the serial number (possible format change). Based on the pictures, they think it's a 2009. They also offered to ship the part free of charge, but what arrived is not even remotely close. @jmanic has been overseeing the conversion and suggested that someone on the board could help narrow down my search. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it needs top be cleaned and yes, I need an SS in the quiver. That will likely be spring/summer N+1 project.

20211018_175242.jpg

20211018_175102.jpg

Why do you need the guide? Even with the guide, it looks like you don't have any cable tie downs on the downtube/chainstay and those type of guides are typically for exposed cable with cable stops on the downtube. Looks like a SS specific frame.

If you just need to tie down the cable under the BB, you can try some kind of push tie down like this in the correct size:
1640793945833.png

For the frame, I've used these successfully in the past, but they eventually may unstick especially if there's some pressure on it like the first one after the handlebars.

Don’t think this will help much, but I did have a first gen SIR9. I ran it SS and later sold it as a geared bike. It did have a plastic cable guide from what I remembered. This is the only picture I have that comes close to showing the routing.

E706A73C-1402-4E19-8DA9-1091A9E56CF1.jpeg

Don’t think this will help much, but I did have a first gen SIR9. I ran it SS and later sold it as a geared bike. It did have a plastic cable guide from what I remembered. This is the only picture I have that comes close to showing the routing.

View attachment 174540
1640796323527.png

I can see cable stops on yours. Can't tell if @Shaggz has them from the pics. If so, then there would definitely be a guide like Jmanic posted for the exposed cable. Those plastic BB guides are typically fairly universal. I got some no brand Amazon one for an older bike.

Ok, if you don't mind me chiming in...I wouldn't go with the original routing at all as it requires the actual shifter cable to be exposed to the elements and any impact with sticks, rocks etc. I would go with a full length guide from lever to derailleur and use the tabs under the top tube to anchor it with zip ties and then go down the right seat stay straight to the derailleur. I did this with my SS El Mariachi frame when i was using it as a geared bike.

If you don't want to use zip ties on the seat stay you can do as I did and use these...I bough color coded ones from China.

41lyPcxLzaL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

6A927011-EB17-4D82-BB00-0BCF41C8FD8E.jpeg

Shaggz Darlin…

I thought I gave you that in case you wanted to go geared again.

If I didn’t, maybe I still have it in a parts box.

You still looking for something?

I recall you threatening to smash it with a hammer, declaring the SIR will never see gears again. I just searched through the box of tricks you gifted me prior to leaving and the part is not there. If you have it, that would be great, but no big deal either way.

Good to see you checking in on us cretins!

Oh yes, right. It is/was a great SS. I've often regretted selling it to you over the years (it's been like 10 years now).

I'll take a peek. If I still have it, I'm mostly sure where it would be.

Yeah, I still stick my nose in around here every once in awhile. I do miss you guys and the mtbnj community -- nothing quite like it out here in Oregon (that I've found, anyway).

Back
Top Bottom