Niner CVA suspension

qclabrat

is the CVA suspension still relevant nowadays?
I've never ridden one, but a buddy of mine has one, he bought a Jet9 3 years ago and never rode it. Family and job got in the way and he wants to get out now. Asked me, and I had no clue. Seems not much talk about Niners like it was a few year back, which has me wondering whether they can compete with the DWs and multi linkages of today

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I got your relevant right here.... lol
CFF54D13-EC7F-45A9-AD53-3CB12F11CBE7.jpeg

I’m sure CVA is still quite viable.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I had a jet9 RDO (and the others too if I’m being honest). CVA, VPP, DW, Maestro....are very similar. It’s all about not feeling like you’re in a bouncy house going up hill and not breaking traction on the chatter. They (listed above) all address the issue from the same angle, with slight variations of course. The issue with Niner was the seat tube cracking on a specific run of carbon frames, then the bankruptcy/re-org thing.

Mr.Moto

Yeah, @Juggernaut pretty much covered it. CVA is pretty similar to a lot of current suspension designs, so I would say it is still relevant. I rode the first version of the RIP9 for a number of years and really liked it. Great at climbing but still felt plush going downhill. My split pivot Bucksaw has a similar feel to it.

Over the years they have had some quality issues, but always seem to take care of their customers. The V1 RIP had a cracking issue also, but they took care of the ones that broke and beefed up the frame.

I really liked the Niner concept and company, but they kinda pigeonholed themselves and held on to the 29" wheel while the industry moved on to other sizes. That plus Steve D. moving on signaled tougher times for Niner. My neighbor now reps for Niner and hopefully they can get back on track again with the acquisition and injection of funds. I think it will be challenging with all the competition and new comers to the industry.

goldsbar

As far as Niner taking care of their customers...I had a Sir 9 that cracked at the head tube. Tried warranty, no dice. Then they supposedly offered a frame at cost, but it never happened. I got the feeling the LBS wasn't exactly taking care of me after numerous years of various purchases. Whole experience helped shift me to buying more online.

Their EBB also had a known creaking issue. Certainly not the only bottom bracket that creaked, but their solution involved a drill.

Ian F

I understand they're much better than they used to be, but I gathered they were slow to accept "new school" 29'er geometry and that hurt them along with some rather questionable business decisions and dealer treatment.

I had a 2009 Jet 9 and that bike and I did NOT get along. Hard to explain how, but it just handled weird.

Mr.Moto

As far as Niner taking care of their customers...I had a Sir 9 that cracked at the head tube. Tried warranty, no dice. Then they supposedly offered a frame at cost, but it never happened. I got the feeling the LBS wasn't exactly taking care of me after numerous years of various purchases. Whole experience helped shift me to buying more online.

Their EBB also had a known creaking issue. Certainly not the only bottom bracket that creaked, but their solution involved a drill.

Sorry to hear you did not have a good experience with Niner. My first Niner was the first gen SIR9. Back then you could buy direct from them. When the frame arrived I noticed that the headtube was oval like someone dropped the box on the headtube end. I sent them a note and a return label was sent to me and a new frame shipped along with a shirt. Back then it was Chris S that answered a lot of the emails. There was much written about the EBB creaking. I use grease and Teflon tape and didn't have a noise issue. Then again I rode a small frame, so maybe didn't generate the torque to make it creaky.

The V1 RIP9 had the seat tube issue, but I never had a problem.

I had a WFO frame that had something wrong dimensionally creating a binding situation at the rocker arm. I sent a note to them and they had me take some measurements, which were off, so they shipped me a new rocker arm.

These were in the earlier years, so certainly things have change since then.

Mr.Moto

I understand they're much better than they used to be, but I gathered they were slow to accept "new school" 29'er geometry and that hurt them along with some rather questionable business decisions and dealer treatment.

I had a 2009 Jet 9 and that bike and I did NOT get along. Hard to explain how, but it just handled weird.

Yeah my V1 SIR9 and RIP9 did not do tight turns like todays bikes. I think most early 29'er were in the same boat. Now with the bigger offsets and slacker head angles, it's a big difference what they can do.

Danimal

i have been on my WFO for a few years and honestly think it's a fantastic climber, especially being a 150/160 mm travel bike. Have done a few suspension upgrades and the bike suites me very well on descents. As for build quality and customer support i'm not a fan. Had a chain alignment issue that both SRAM and the Niner rep were made aware of at Nemba fest few years ago. Niner rep said they'd take care of it. Took numerous attempts to get in touch with the rep and when i finally did his response was ship us the frame at your cost and we will measure it and make sure it's in spec. Told them that was unacceptable on a fairly new bike and i will drop it off at my lbs and they will look at it at Niners cost. My guys shimmed the chainring out and it's been fine. The bike was bought as a used 3 times demo bike for a huge savings, i would never have spent full money on their bike.

TonyC

is the CVA suspension still relevant nowadays?
--- Yes

CVA - the rear wheel stays planted and if you have the legs could climb anything.

I rode a Devinci Atlas 29er w/Split Pivot for a few years, had slack HT sub 17" CS and was truly amazing until cracked.
Their warranty didn't work out the way I'd expected so I'm back on my older Niner v2RIP9 (v1cracked). NIner sent me shipping label and got new frame quickly, that's back in 2010 so who knows now...
Although I miss the Atlas the Niner w/CVA does the job.

Ian F

These days, pretty much all of the suspension designs work well and can climb if you have the legs. Hell, a couple of years ago I did an unplanned trail ride on my M16C and was shocked at how well it climbed.

Top Bottom