Nine NJ state parks may close this summer (not April fools)

Mare

Well, instead of complaining, here is the governor's address. Send letters to him. I am also looking for an online petition...there has to be one somewhere. Rant to him and let him know how you feel and what parks mean to us, even if you think it won't help.

Office of the Governor (AKA Jack Ass)
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625
609-292-6000

Shaggz

A strong 7
I spoke to my Senator this morning. He is a Republican and said this was NOT a partisan move (i.e., Democrats versus Republicans). However, he did say that this and other cuts are being made expeditiously and not intelligently.

Some of the greatest impact will be felt by those in the Governor's voting block, the inner cities, when these people find themselves having limited access to the parks this summer, which are ultimately funded by our tax payer dollars. And yes, the businesses surrounding these parks will be impacted as well, which will reduce tax revenues - a vicious cycle as I see it.

Write to your Governor - I did. Use the address posted above or go here: http://www.nj.gov/governor/govmail.html.

Sean posted this yesterday: http://www.recallcorzinenow.com/

Write to your Representatives

I don't expect that knucklehead Corzine to pay much attention to the pile of letters he's no doubt already receiving (but I'm glad people are writing to HIM, nevertheless)....

I for one took Mergs' advice and wrote to my state assembly representatives (Pete Biondi just replied, see below)... We need to attack this issue from several fronts....

Peace,
MBB

Dear Mr. Birmingham:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding Governor Corzine's proposal
to close some of our state parks. I appreciate your perspective on this
issue and share the same view.

I agree that it would not be in the best interest to close the state
parks proposed by the Governor and doing so is not the answer to the
State's budget crisis. I am adamantly opposed to closing these parks.
I will not support this proposal and will encourage my colleagues not to
support this as well.

Thank you again and if I can do anything for you in the future, please
do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Peter J. Biondi
Assemblyman

-----Original Message-----
From: montclairbobbyb@gmail.com [mailto:montclairbobbyb@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 11:18 PM
To: Bateman, Sen. D.O.; Biondi, Asm. D.O.; Coyle, Asw. D.O.
Subject: Budget Cuts - Park Closures

I am writing in response to announcements relating to NJ State budget
cuts
and planned park closures.

As hikers and cyclists, my family and I, along with many of our
friends
regularly frequent the great parks in NJ, and are so grateful for these
places. The need for parks and open space is critically important to a
densely populated state like NJ. If you've ever visited Round Valley on
a
summer weekend, you would see how it serves as an oasis for thousands of
NJ city-dwellers looking for a brief respite from the heat and streets.

Surely there must be other ways to cut budget without jeopardizing such
a
valuable and sorely needed resource... THESE ARE OUR PARKS...Parks are a
God-given right in this country... Closing them down would be... well,
Un-American!

Please urge Governor Corzine and your colleagues in the NJ State
Government to NOT allow our parks to be closed!!!! PLEASE!!!

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Bob Birmingham
Belle Mead

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i just fired off some emails to my reps and the governor.

i'll do some phone calls later.

ebineezer

i can understand the budget problems(lets face it our country is not in the greatest financial state) but to take away access to the parks just sucks. there has to be other places they can cut costs

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
this happened once before

i remember this happining a couple of years ago. My take on it is that there will be personel cut backs, ie ticket takers, etc but the parks will always be there. You'll just have to park outside the gates. Please correct me if im wrong.

Mare

quite frankly, i do believe they can lay some folks off and still keep the parks open! no offense to those that work their butts off, but for those that don't... umm... many state employees don't do much. and to prove i am not trying to offend anyone, i am one of those state employees that doesn't have enough to do and i know what we can get away with. i have asked and asked for more work and i still get the same old crap. my guess is that the parks can still run with less employees. of course i do feel for those that may lose their jobs too and do not wish them financial crisis.

mtnbiker5

Park Closures

If they did in fact close the parks they mentioned I dont think it would have an impact. Your telling me that we can no longer ride in Ringwood? Thats just extreme I think.

Not wanting to get too political here but seriously, Corzine and the rest of Trenton needs to go. States been run by a bunch of democrats for how long?! And what do we have to show for it? Highest taxes, possibly more tolls (I heard he wants to put some on Rt 80-Allamuchy will now cost you to get there), park closures, state is broke, small businesses are struggling, sales tax raised. Its all the same crap with them, tax and spend, tax & spend. Sick of it.

F these guys. I'm going riding.....

Top Bottom