Night Rides

M

mike240se

I dont know who organizes nite rides but i have been thinking about riding at night alot..... i dont have a good lighting system yet but with the 90+ heat during the day riding at night would be real nice since its usually in the 60's or 70's...... let me know, never rode nite before though....

Shaggz

A strong 7
I recently moved to Sussex County and have not found a place to ride at night. I've been asking around but have gotten the usual "...parks close at night..." response.

I used to ride at Blue Mountain in Westchester (covertly) and occasionally, the MTA Lands in Brewster, but both too far now.

Brewster was great because the locals marked the trails with reflective paint, and held weekly rides on either Tuesday or Wednesday nights. There was always a big trun out and it reminded me of the opening scene from ET.

It's been a few years since I've been back to Brewster, so I don't know if these rides still go on. You may want to troll the forums at http://www.wmba.org/ and post up there.

C

CD1134

I know some guys ride Chimney Rock @ night, but that's in Central Jersey and I'm not sure if it's actually allowed.

M

mike240se

as far as i know, stokes state forest does not close at night........ I have been there at night several times, cause of the camp grounds and all. I dont know if it has good trails or not though.......

Shaggz

A strong 7
mike240se said:
I dont know who organizes nite rides but i have been thinking about riding at night alot..... i dont have a good lighting system yet but with the 90+ heat during the day riding at night would be real nice since its usually in the 60's or 70's...... let me know, never rode nite before though....

Mike240se - I just read a review in the July '05 (page 34) Mountain Bike Action on the Light & Motion Vega Light (Handle Bar mount). Let me know if you would like me to scan and send it to you.

Cheers!
Steve

M

mike240se

smarencik said:
Mike240se - I just read a review in the July '05 (page 34) Mountain Bike Action on the Light & Motion Vega Light (Handle Bar mount). Let me know if you would like me to scan and send it to you.

Steve - Is that a good mag? If so i will just pick up a copy and save you the work. I have been tryig to find a mountain bike mag for a while. I was thinking of the Niterider Trail Rat 2.0, its 10 watt halogen and 2.5 hours of battery for $100. But we still have the problem of no where to ride legally, and none of us want to get our bikes impounded and fined.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I think Mountain Bike Action is a good mag. The technical tip sections are very informative, and the product & bike reviews represent a good cross section of items on the market & riding styles.

A couple of years ago, www.mtbr.com had a discussion on light systems - including trail-view pictures with different light setups. You should check the product review boards on lighting systems - there is usually some good information there.

I used to have more disposable income (and time) in my pre-family guy life for light purchases (and races, festivals, etc). I purchased bought an earlier version of the Night Rider trail rat (handle bar) and flame thrower (helmet), and am very happy with the products. I would not spend the same money on a system now because I would not be able to justify the $$/hour of night riding to my wife. I'd rather save that argument for a new bike... :lol:

M

Mikey_C

havnt been here in a bit

night ride are amazing--they are no real workout but the adreneline rush of only knowing your next 6 feet of line is great.

used to do monday nights in the winter at ringwood--its illegal at all state parks after dark but that just makes it more fun(and no one really cares what goes on deep in the woods at night)

YOU NEED GOOD LIGHTS-- i went sheap and sent 120 and paid for it as i was the jerk who had to borrow back ups and secondary to get out fo the trails at night to justify the purchase do a 24 hrs at allamuchy wher eyou will need every watt u can get.

Top Bottom