Newbie with some questions.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Hey guys, I've posted in the Central NJ forum pretty heavily and I really haven't talked to anyone else.

I just started riding after I worked at Ski Barn (which turns into a bike shop in the summer). I then bought a Jamis Komodo for cheap and I've been riding ever since.
bike2.gif

I recently purchased a short cage derailer (I have removed the front derailer) to help with my shifting.

I've been splitting my time between trail riding (Six Mile mostly, Mercer) with urban riding (New Brunswick, Princeton). Now my questions:

1) I am curious on getting a set up for urban riding. How much will a urban tire/wheel set cost me?

2) I am also thinking about building a 24 inch urban cruiser; Single speed, rear brake, really simple.
Where are good places to look for parts and such? I want to make it with decent parts but not break the bank. Probably have a budget of $300 MAX.

Thanks a bunch :)

ArmyOfNone

im not quite sure what your gettin into but you can get a haro bmx ride for around that price. Talk to the halters men they stock em.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
If you can wrench the stuff yourself, check on Ebay for parts. If not, check Halters.

T

Timekiller

If you have parts, or can get inexpensive/used parts, check out Soul Cycles for an inexpensive urban frame. That is where I got my titan frame.

Setting up a bike for urban, as far as wheels/tires/gears, price depends on a few things. If your going to be hard on a bike, drop to flats ect. look for a wheelset like Azonic Outlaws or comperable. Tires are the same price as regular mtn tires. And as far as gearing, it seems that most people favor a singlespeed setup for the street. I am in the process of changing my titan to singlespeed and possibly rear only. We will see how it goes.

By the way... as far as best deals on parts, I waited till the new '07 parts came out late '06, and bought all of the closeout '06 parts (from pricepoint, jenson, bluesky, ect.) and saved a bunch of money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
James, did you ever build this up??

Man I was just reading some of these 1st time post intro's.. Still reading them now.. Funny stuff

Thought I would add/ruin TBT..

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i could have been a dirt jumper but kevin didnt have enough of an influence on me

now im racing bikes on soccer fields

that dirt jumper turned SS:
bikeSS.gif

sold it to a friend who sold it to a friend who painted it purple

Mountain Bike Mike

i could have been a dirt jumper but kevin didnt have enough of an influence on me

now im racing bikes on soccer fields

that dirt jumper turned SS:
bikeSS.gif

sold it to a friend who sold it to a friend who painted it purple

You, Me and Kev - Dirt Jumping this year... Cmon - lets do it

Come with me to a BMX race

Top Bottom