Newbie to MTB

Alex

Hey guys, newbie here.
I just purchased my first real mtb about a month ago as a new hobby and maybe lose some weight in the process and get in shape. I said being round is a good shape. People tend to disagree :(
Anyway, I've been riding Manasquan Reserviour just to get my stamina up and so far did 3 laps yesterday. Sometimes I tow my kids in the trailer as the view is very scenic and they enjoy it, esp when they see dogs.
I've heard a lot about Allaire and I've seen video in youtube (rollercoaster) but I'm still a newbie, not into very technical rides.
I'm very happy to ride and this is mine. Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29.

Attachments

• AC1_1436.jpg
    AC1_1436.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 164

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome! Yes, get to the allaire tues nite rides. good people there with a wealth of knowledge, and just fun.
head down south too. Look for some trail maintenance dates, and go help out - great way to meet people.

while you are at it, check out http://www.jorba.org - our coordinators, and advocates in the state.
join that team!

MTBing works great for losing weight - the board has lost over 45,000 lbs in total. (i made that up, but it has to be close)

Cheers!

jackx

Welcome Alex!

With a nice new 29er and theMTBNJ forum, you are in for a lot of fun exercise.

What they said above. ^^ This is a great forum to meet people to ride with.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Welcome Alex! Allaire is a good park to get started in. Especialy if yoou have a quide that knows the "easiest" trails.
My tips for a beginner: go at a pace you are comfortable with, dont try to keep up with everyone else, and it is ok to walk your bike when tired or dont want to try riding over something.
I would be happy to give ya a tour of Allaire. If schedule allows you, the Tuesday night beginner rides there are awesome.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome Aboard, and to the wacky world of riding a bike in the woods... remember some people will never understand why you do this at all and the main thing is to enjoy the ride.
I know for a fact that the Allaire Tuesday night rides are fun as posted before there is always people that will give you a tour of the park at you skill level.
We will be posting rides up on the weekend soon as well if you want to spend the time in the trails we can always use a hand on TM days and we get a ride in after them .

BTW round is indeed a shape....

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Welcome Alex!

+1 (and then some) on the Allaire Tuesday Night Beginner Rides. When you're new to MTBing, even the easiest parks and trails are exciting, but they can be intimidating too. Don't worry, it's normal.

Lots of people show up to the Tuesday night rides. Some with lots of experience, some with some experience and yes, some who are the actual target audience... True beginners.

Two things to remember, everyone there WANTS you to be there! They want you to go at your pace and feel good about the experience. The other is you will never be left behind or get lost on the Tuesday night ride.

Trust me, they know what they are doing and are passionate about getting people out there.

If you have a smart phone, Maprika is a great free app that can help you find your way around new parks when you start to feel adventurous.

Have fun!

Dan-

Alex

Thank you for the warm welcome guys.
I'll definitely try to schedule a Tuesday, you guys makes it sound fun for a newbie lol. I'm excited to see how the mtb world is. Maybe in 2 weeks I'll go (need to check with the commander in chief , aka wife). What's usually the time frame on Tuesday nights? Weather permitting, right? I hate to run in mud and ruining the trail. I got lights on my bike so I'll bring it.
Biking is really something to look forward too. After writing this, going to do a lap with the kids in Manasquan and a solo run. Fun and getting fit in the process, can't beat that.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Alex,
we meet in the hospital road lot for a roll out at 6:00 and last night for example we ended up with close to 7 miles and we were back in the lot around 7:30...
no need for lights this time of year so just bring you, your bike, helmet and a sense of humor...

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Welcome Alex. You have mad photo-taking skills to boot. Nice pic. You may also want to try 6 mile run once you have some of the basics down. Not a hilly place, but plenty twisty and fun.

Alex

It looks like a nice day this coming Tuesday. I hope I didn't just jinxed it.
Anybody use Strava app on last Tuesday's run? I want to see if my stamina is up to the task and see the speed/turns/incline, I just don't want to slow anybody down but always welcome the challenge. My knees on the other hand...

Thank you icebiker, it's my passion : )
6mile run in Allaire also? Looking forward to that as well but I'll take baby steps at a time. I already broke a leg during my youthful bmx days. Old farts don't heal quick they said.

Edit: Sorry, I'm still new to MTB and the trails so I just found out where's 6 mile run after posting this. Somerset,NJ is not too far and looks like Red, Orange and Blue trails are nice and twisty. Looks fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom