Newbie question

majikman

Whats up guys? I recently moved to Morris county (Randolph area) and and want to get into mountain biking. I intend to buy a decent entry level hardtail this week. Since I am close to Lewis Morris I definitely intend to go check out the trails there once I get my bike. My question is are the trails clearly enough marked that a new guy can navigate his way around without getting lost? Thanks for any tips or advice.

Yea they are marked pretty well. The basic idea would be just ride the yellow loop for starters. This is pretty much the perimeter loop and everything branches off of this. If you ride EVERY trail in the park at a decent pace you'll be done in under 2 hours. It's not that expansive of a park. Take some time to get lost and explore and you should have a good time.

yeah, yellow. i advise clockwise first. it breaks you in slowly that direction.

*one part i missed on yellow the first time is starting from rt24 lot, after you pass the lake, pass the picnic shelter, cross the little bridge, hang a left and then climb up the slow hill...then the road opens up a bit, cross over left onto the singletrack path. otherwise you're on a fireroad forever. if you miss it, you'll get it eventually.

yeah, yellow. i advise clockwise first. it breaks you in slowly that direction.

*one part i missed on yellow the first time is starting from rt24 lot, after you pass the lake, pass the picnic shelter, cross the little bridge, hang a left and then climb up the slow hill...then the road opens up a bit, cross over left onto the singletrack path. otherwise you're on a fireroad forever. if you miss it, you'll get it eventually.
+1 to that

I'll add, if you start out in that direction, at the top of the wind sucking hill, make a left on to the singletrack for some nice twisties.:D

+1 to that

I'll add, if you start out in that direction, at the top of the wind sucking hill, make a left on to the singletrack for some nice twisties.:D

If they are a true newbie, that'll be at the top of the 2nd windsucking hill. Actually the 3rd. :D

If they are a true newbie, that'll be at the top of the 2nd windsucking hill. Actually the 3rd. :D
Tru dat :drooling:...but I think the 3rd (last) is the longest.

I was so proud of myself the day I was able to get to that point without doing any bike-n-hike

I just started riding and find LM pretty easy to navigate. Print a copy of the map on this forum and you should be fine. Safe riding!

once you're done with the nice twisties, it will let you out into a small parking lot, you need to pick up the trail on the other side near the bulletin board. Another quick down and your legs are back to work.

No joke....The first up is a lung burner. That was my first intro to mountain biking. Didn't know what to do first, puke or crap. :puke: Once you conquer that fire road you are golden, until you reverse the trail...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions