Newbie looking for bike selection help

J

Jon FZ1

I am looking for a bike to ride 80% carriage trails/pavement and 20% light trails. This type of riding seems to lend it self best to a hardtail configuration more than a full suspension setup required for more hardcore riding.

I have looked at a couple of models:

Ironhorse Warrior Expert http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=19842
Marin Hawk Hill
Giant Iguana
Jamis Durango

I am leaning towards the Ironhorse, Iguana and Marin since the components seem better and I can get the Ironhorse for about 600 bucks shipped which seems to be a much better bike than what I can pick up locally. I really am looking to spend between 400-650 for a bike at this time, but am willing to stretch that figure somewhat if I can find something outfitted with better components.

The things that I have been focusing on whether valid or not is the following:

Hayes MX2 discs
External bottom bracket bearing
decent F&R derailleurs

What is your take on this stuff?

Where can I get bikes at a discounted price, internet, mail order?

Sizing? I am about 6'1, is a 21.5 too large when the next smaller size is 19.5? What are the pro's & con's of running a slightly smaller or larger frame than what you would normally spec?

ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED!

Shaggz

A strong 7
Hey Jon,

I am not too familiar with bikes at that price point (or hard tails in general), but I know that Giant is a good all around brand. Campmor on Rte 17 in NJ carries bikes and they were running a big sale on all their mechandise, including Iron Horse and maybe jamis (www.campmor.com).

I think you mentioned taht you were in NYC so check out Jeff's on the upper east side - 79th and second. I'll check my back issues of mtb action - i think they rated bikes at that price point recently. haro is another good bet - you shuld be familair with them from yuor BMX days :wink:

Steve

J

Jon FZ1

Steve,

I actually have been looking at Campmor, since I live in Bergen County. I think I am going to grab the Marin Hawk Hill SE. I wish that the frame was covered under war. for more than 5 years, but whatever.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Piermont bikes in in Piermont (near nyack) is definitely worth a trip. Glenn carries some awesome stuff at very good prices.... BTW - cannondales have a lifetime warranty for the original owner

J

Jon FZ1

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up buying a 05 Marin Hawk Hill SE. I rode it home from Campmor about 8 miles and I think it is going to work well for my needs.

Top Bottom