Newbie in Somerset County seeking other novice riders

This is my first year riding a mountain bike and tomorrow, 5/17, will be my first real ride. Going to ride trails at 6 mile run in Franklin Township (Somerset County) NJ.

If there are other novice riders out there who'd like to join me tomorrow at a future date shoot me a private message.

This is my first year riding a mountain bike and tomorrow, 5/17, will be my first real ride. Going to ride trails at 6 mile run in Franklin Township (Somerset County) NJ.

If there are other novice riders out there who'd like to join me tomorrow at a future date shoot me a private message.

Shouldn't be riding in groups - suggest waiting a few months.

Edit to add wait few months to ride with others. Explore on your own for now

I have postponed plans to ride with others, because I am the primary liaison with my elderly parents. Moreover, the fewer people who u are close to, the slower the C19 virus spreads. It's a math thing.

IMG_20190404_194017.jpg

I miss all my friends.

Don't listen to them - hopefully someone will ride with you for your first loop.
i'm fairly sure you can implement the needed safety protocol.

Have reasonable expectations -
Keep your vision up the trail, ie
When going over a bridge - look at the far side, not over the front tire.

yield to hikers - have a great ride!

(i kinda miss them, don't tell em tho.)

Not looking for a group. Just another rider or two. Riding with another is surely safer than riding alone, no?

Suit yourself but I'm not riding with anyone else for awhile.

The best beginner loop would be blue from canal lot to the end, turn right onto red, take the left onto white. When white pops out into the parking lot, take Jaques road back to the canal lot.

Don't listen to them - hopefully someone will ride with you for your first loop.
i'm fairly sure you can implement the needed safety protocol.

What would be a "needed safety protocol" for trail riding other than riding about 20 yds in front of someone?

Six mile is fun and you'll enjoy it. Hard to get lost in there but download trailforks app just in case. There will be plenty of people out there so just be courteous to the other trail users.

I'm staying more local lately but perhaps another time. Have fun! Stay safe!

Just an FYI, no one is social distancing anything at 6-Mile these days. Was there on Saturday and there were more people than I've seen anywhere in my life. We parked about 1/2 mile down the road in an office complex on Rt27 that was nearly filled. If you're even slightly nervous about getting sick and killing your family, don't go. I on the other hand, invited my family along ??

Suit yourself but I'm not riding with anyone else for awhile.

The best beginner loop would be blue from canal lot to the end, turn right onto red, take the left onto white. When white pops out into the parking lot, take Jaques road back to the canal lot.
I did the loop you suggested. It was more challenging than I expected. Either that or my skill riding wasn't what I thought it was. Either way it was a success. Fell/fell down a couple of times but never crashed. Walked over a couple of trees, over the bridge that was out and another that was very long and narrow and spooked me.

As for social distancing, I have no doubt I'd have been farther away from someone riding with me 5-15 yards in front or behind than I was when riders or walkers passed me going in the other direction. I'm pretty cautious about Covid but don't see a problem riding 30 feet or so from another rider.

Do you happen to know how long that ride is?

All in all a fine day. Look forward to doing it again.

I did the loop you suggested. It was more challenging than I expected. Either that or my skill riding wasn't what I thought it was. Either way it was a success. Fell/fell down a couple of times but never crashed. Walked over a couple of trees, over the bridge that was out and another that was very long and narrow and spooked me.

As for social distancing, I have no doubt I'd have been farther away from someone riding with me 5-15 yards in front or behind than I was when riders or walkers passed me going in the other direction. I'm pretty cautious about Covid but don't see a problem riding 30 feet or so from another rider.

Do you happen to know how long that ride is?

All in all a fine day. Look forward to doing it again.

Great! Just walk whatever you aren't comfortable riding - I'm especially conscious of that now. Don't want to end up in a hospital. That loop is about 7 miles.

Great report! It should be challenging, but rewarding the first time out.
solid 7 miles - you are off and running. if you can get out during the week, it is a lot less crowded.
keep rolling!

Don't worry about walking the bridges your first few times, this was my first ride at 6 mile and it feels like decades ago. Check out that sweet rig though, lol.
42252.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom