Newbie in Montclair NJ

• Thread starter mistersandwiches
  • Start date
M

mistersandwiches

New to the area after 10 years in CA...looking for ride recommendations 1-2 hrs from Montclair...

I ride a 5" travel Freeride/all mountain bike and am used to BIG Cali climbs and long technical descents and drops...anything around here for me? Or is it time to sell my big rig and get a SC Blur?

-jim

C

chainstretcher

im new myself, still check'n things out, just thought id say welcome!

btw... you can never go wrong with the santa cruz!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
yes, u need to sell it and get a 29er FR SS...:rolleyes:

i would say in Montclair you are centrally located and can reach a bunch of places within 30-60mins

welcome!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
New to the area after 10 years in CA...looking for ride recommendations 1-2 hrs from Montclair...

I ride a 5" travel Freeride/all mountain bike and am used to BIG Cali climbs and long technical descents and drops...anything around here for me? Or is it time to sell my big rig and get a SC Blur?

-jim

I am sure you can find plenty of east coast style rock gardens that will put that 5 inches of travel to use.
Ringwood and Jungle Habitat should suffice.

http://www.mtbnj.com/directory.php

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I ride a 5" travel Freeride/all mountain bike and am used to BIG Cali climbs and long technical descents and drops...anything around here for me?

Maybe check out Round Valley, it's got a pretty good long-climb/long-downhill ratio. And at this point in the game, 5 inches of travel is considered a trail bike, and sometimes even a race bike:D

-Jim.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
on second thought.. just go get a 29'er and join the cult

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
on second thought.. just go get a 29'er and join the cult

Wait, not yet!! It's too early. Let him get a few posts in and get comfortable. Then when he's not looking we'll run him over with a cement truck filled with kool-aid!!

-Jim.

RNG1

Seems like he is already on the dark side with his screen name...
misters-and-wiches :D

M

mistersandwiches

29er

yeah - i've been thinking about a 29er - i'm a big guy, and with the terrain here - it seems to make more and more sense...

kush

I like sandwiches.

Welcome

Ride what you got for a bit, and then demo some big wheels without gears.

ellbiddy

It really is scary to think how many of us ride 29er SS's. In any case I veto the EBB at this point. We'll see how the carver holds up.

Welcome to Montclair... great town!
I learned to ride during the 80s (at Mills, Eagle Rock and South Mountain), although I cannot officially condone riding there illegally...

Read the posting on favorite spots... Allamuchy, Ringwood, Wawayanda, Jungle Habitat, Sourland, Chimney Rock are just a few awesome places to ride in North/Central Jersey within an hour of Montclair.

Blue Mountain (in Peekskill, NY) is within an hour, and is AWESOME... some great technical riding.

Sourland and Chimney Rock are now my home turf (since I moved to Belle Mead), and you can expect to see big hit bikes at both places, particularly Sourland. This terrain is rocky and technical... It may be different than California, but Jersey has a great MTBing core... Once you settle in and get someone to show you around, you're gonna like it here, I'm sure.

Peace,
MontclairBobbyB

Last edited:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
welcome aboard.
yet another 29er zombie my god you guys are dropping like flies.... :)

Top Bottom