Newbie in Bridgewater seeking new friends and destinations

Hi all,

I just bought my first mountain bike today (Salsa Timberjack 27.5+), have pedals, shoes, a new helmet, and shorts en route, and was told about this forum.

I'm 61 and an intermediate road bike rider. I can do centuries without issue but don't love steep ascents.

My goal on the mountain bike is to complete the loop in Washington Valley Park ably by the end of the season.

I'd love some recommendations for nice trails for newbies in and around Somerset County as well as any bike clubs or riding groups I could ride with once it's legal again to do so.

Thanks.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome! You are going to love fun Monday at Washington Valley (we refer to it as chimney rock or cr). Six mile run is much flatter with more twists. Sourland mountain is more technical. Round valley is more climbing. Lewis Morris is comparable to cr

see you out there

Last edited:
Welcome! You are going to love fun Monday at Washington Ballet (we refer to it as chimney rock or cr). Six mile run is much flatter with more twists. Sourland mountain is more technical. Round valley is more climbing. Lewis Morris is comparable to cr

see you out there
Thanks. I suspect 6 mile is closed as is the towpath and the like, right? Have you any suggestions for a nearby legal place for a newbie and a mountain bike?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah, only not as much fun.
more of a size, difficulty thing.

im going to disagree there, (ok ill give you size of the park, but difficulty?) lewis morris has become washed out neglected doubletrack/fireroad for the most part, i wouldnt even consider it worth a trip at this point, CR still brings some fun to biking.

Patrick

Staff member
Thanks. I suspect 6 mile is closed as is the towpath and the like, right? Have you any suggestions for a nearby legal place for a newbie and a mountain bike?

Yes - all of that is closed. Hopefully not too much longer.

It looks like @Norm's backyard is coming along nicely, but not sure tickets are on-sale yet. :D

Probably should not just throw you in the deep end, esp alone, in the wildlife management areas.

There are some fieldside trails behind pickell park in readington, they lead back into cushetunk
trails - which is a hunterdon county park, but apparently is open. gets a bit wet back there, so
needs a few days to dry.

someone might come up with something.

Patrick

Staff member
im going to disagree there, (ok ill give you size of the park, but difficulty?) lewis morris has become washed out neglected doubletrack/fireroad for the most part, i wouldnt even consider it worth a trip at this point, CR still brings some fun to biking.

cool - perhaps that is why i haven't gone there in 3 years. maybe more.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
cool - perhaps that is why i haven't gone there in 3 years. maybe more.

you were there fall of 2018 prepping for the mountain man biathalon which you ultimately bailed on, i cant speak to anything more recent than that.

Patrick

Staff member
you were there fall of 2018 prepping for the mountain man biathalon which you ultimately bailed on, i cant speak to anything more recent than that.

i don't think i rode fall 2018, cause running - 2017 i ran the course, but had the thumb injury, so no riding.
whatevs. ;)

Dave02

For starters- check out Six Mile Run- it's close to Bridgewater and a great place to start mountain biking.
Chimney Rock is lots of fun but may be a bit too technical to start out at.
Once the world starts spinning again, check for group rides posted here and at Meetup.com.
And Welcome!

thegock

"In compliance with an executive order issued Tuesday, April 7, by Gov. Phil Murphy, the Somerset County Park Commission has closed all county parks to the public, including all trail systems within the parks.

As a result, all county general use parks – including Natirar in Peapack-Gladstone, Duke Island Park, North Branch Park and Torpey Athletic Complex in Bridgewater, East County Park in Warren, Colonial Park in Somerset and Skillman Park in Montgomery – are closed to the public.

In addition, all trail systems located in Washington Valley Park in Bridgewater, the Sourland Mountain Preserve in Hillsborough and Montgomery, the Environmental Education Center (EEC) at Lord Stirling Park in Bernards Township, the Little Brook Sanctuary in Bernardsville, the Raritan River Greenway Trail and the South Branch Greenway Trail, are also closed.

In a press release, the Park Commission said it intends to cooperate fully in ensuring compliance with this edict, and it will solicit the assistance of local police and Sheriff’s Officers in pursuing violations.A violation of Executive Order 118 is considered a disorderly persons offense which is subject to imprisonment for a term not to exceed six months and/or a monetary fine not to exceed $1,000.

In an effort to limit the spread of COVID-19, the commission requests full compliance.

Updates on postponements, cancellations and closures may be found at www.somersetcountyparks.org or by calling (908) 722-1200."

Closed

Dave02

I think Washington Valley park proper is open still. So you can set your goal of 930 laps of the ballfield loop.

CR >>>>>>>> LM
Washington Valley Park is a Somerset County Park- so I think it's closed.
Chimney Rock Park is a municipal park- not sure if it's open or not.
It's confusing because both parks together are known as Chimney Rock.
Washington Valley Park contains all of the trails (red, white, blue, yellow, orange), circled below (closed).
Chimney Rock Park I think is just the ball fields (open???)

CR.JPG

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Chimney Rock Park I think is just the ball fields (open???)

Yeah my bad, I reversed it. The trials behind the ballfield are not part of the county, though. We've been through this with the rangers. Washington Valley Park is closed, Chimney Rock itself is township.

I have no idea if they're open. It's less than a mile loop and not worth the 4 mile drive from my house to find out. It was really just a joke. I guess some people (not you, Dave) can't take a joke.

Lighten up, Francis.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
A good way to find trails is to use strava heat map. Look for tight turns in a small space. Now find those locally in spots that aren't county or state parks.. Repeat.

Yeah my bad, I reversed it. The trials behind the ballfield are not part of the county, though. We've been through this with the rangers. Washington Valley Park is closed, Chimney Rock itself is township.

I have no idea if they're open. It's less than a mile loop and not worth the 4 mile drive from my house to find out. It was really just a joke. I guess some people (not you, Dave) can't take a joke.

Lighten up, Francis.
I know I'm the newbie seeking info but I do have some to share.

There are some trails you can access from the bottom of Totten Road in Bridgewater off of Mountaintop Rd. If you turn right (east) you can go about 1/2 mile on Bridgewater property and then it's blocked off when the path goes from township to County as you officially enter Washington Valley Park. If you go left (west) there's a very short path that concludes in the Crim (school) fields. This too is open but it's short.

Top Bottom