Newbie from Bergen County Looking for Advice

N

Njpaulie

Hello All,

I'm Paul 36 Married 3 kids. I grew up on BMX bikes, Dirt Bikes and Three wheelers - Yeah 3 - we couldn't afford the 4th wheel when I was kid! Anyway I need to get that adrenaline rush again. So I bought a very cheap bike and I want to get ridding. Once i find my grove I'll invest the cash in a serious unit. (when I was kids we called our bikes Units - cause we thought it was funny)
After ready many posts on this site it sounds like Ringwood might be like running before I walk. Does anyone know of any simple backwoods trials I can start conditioning myself on? I want to get my feet wet and get my body back into it first. Thank you for any input - I look forward to this adventure and making some new Buds in the process.

Paul - Njpaulie :D

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Try Ringwood.
Download the great detailed map from the rvccmtb.com site start at the Shepherd's Lake lot or Lot C and explore the various fireroads that crisscross the park and, if and when you feel up to it, dip into some singletrack in your own time, at your own pace. I think you'll be surprised of what you're capable.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
welcome. i'm in westwood and other friends are nearby in norwood and closter. so there's a few of us bergen folks.
ringwood is tougher than some parks but it's also more fun. hook up with someone who knows the park and you'll have a blast.
also the westchester parks like sparin and blue are less than an hour away so hit those too. we just had our second kid a few days ago so i'm not riding much after tomorrow's race at blue, but check on here for ride announcements and jump on one. welcome!

N

Njpaulie

Try Ringwood.
Download the great detailed map from the rvccmtb.com site start at the Shepherd's Lake lot or Lot C and explore the various fireroads that crisscross the park and, if and when you feel up to it, dip into some singletrack in your own time, at your own pace. I think you'll be surprised of what you're capable.
Thanks VelocityBoy! Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll do some local road time and then head up there once the legs are ready for it.

Rock-N-Roll! I saw queensryche In 88 open for Def Lepard - SICK show!

N

Njpaulie

welcome. i'm in westwood and other friends are nearby in norwood and closter. so there's a few of us bergen folks.
ringwood is tougher than some parks but it's also more fun. hook up with someone who knows the park and you'll have a blast.
also the westchester parks like sparin and blue are less than an hour away so hit those too. we just had our second kid a few days ago so i'm not riding much after tomorrow's race at blue, but check on here for ride announcements and jump on one. welcome!
Thank you NJ-XC-Justin - Cool about the westchester trials I am up in that area often - I'll look them up. Congrats on the kid! I have a 2yr old boy 3 yr old boy and 13 yr old Girl - There is nothing like kids man!

Shaggz

A strong 7
welcome to the site, Paul. We will be getting back to our MTBNJ weekly rides soon, and these are a great way to learn parks and meet people in a laid-back group format.

N

Njpaulie

Thanks - Sounds good to me. I look forward to the adventure!

ebineezer

bergen county represent!:2guns: Im from bergenfield. let me know if you wanna go for a spin sometime

N

Njpaulie

bergen county represent!:2guns: Im from bergenfield. let me know if you wanna go for a spin sometime

Any good Local Trails around? Some basic stuff would be solid for getting my chops up.

ebineezer

there is some stuff around, but nothing great. your best move would be to hit the streets for a while to build up those leg muscles a bit. then hit up a spot like allaire (south jersey) or 6mile (central jersey). Allaire does beginner group rides...so keep your eye out for threads from the 501'ers

N

Njpaulie

Solid Info man! I am going to do just that. Put a few miles in a day and build up from there. We shall meet up and ride once I am in condition. Looking forward to it!

N

Njpaulie

Cool - I lived in New Milford when I was born - Berkley St. We moved when I was 2 so I don't know anyone.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Waldwick here.
Welcome Dude..
Hit Ringwood...start with the tough stuff immediately :D

Actually you can try Jungle Habitat too...

N

Njpaulie

Hey elzoller thanks for the welcome. I put some road time in tonight and man am I in sad shape! Where is Jungle Habitat? Is it a place? Or a type of trail? Sorry don't forget I'm a newbie. hahaha

robertg

Jungle Habitat would be great, I was there last Sunday and it was a lot of fun. It is in West Milford, not far from Ringwood actually. There are a lot of fun trails at Jungle Habitat and there is an interesting history to the place.

N

Njpaulie

Well I hope to take a shot at one of them 2 spots in the next few weeks - I have to see how my conditioning progresses. I don't want to be the guy puking in the weeds! :puke:

M

mondojoe

Hey Paulie I'm 35 two kids and just got back into biking too. After a few months of getting into some kind of shape...I used to be round but I think I'm now oval...I went on a beginner ride down at Allaire with the 501 crew, I can not say enough about Frank and the crew. I had a blast, was a little beaten up but felt great afterward.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
we arent that bad...:) just like riding I need to get out I hve been fighting either a cold or allergies and have not been out since last sunday..

Top Bottom