Newbie-Bike purchase question

You're better off spending a little more money and buying something used. Looks liek a great bike to get into riding though.

You're better off spending a little more money and buying something used. Looks liek a great bike to get into riding though.

2005 Giant Ranier -Large.........$250.00 BB7 disc brakes

what you guys think about this bike?

2005 Giant Ranier -Large.........$250.00 BB7 disc brakes

what you guys think about this bike?

If its the one in the classifieds here, I believe its sold already. But yes, look for something along those lines.

Someone help me out with the name of the fork that replaced the Judy. IMO if you are going to ride anything other than a rail trail you want to get a bike with a Judy (or equivalent) fork. Something with the Avid mechanical brakes would be a bonus.

I truly believe you will be unhappy with a lesser fork. I have friends that bought department store bikes and they have since broken. My entry level Trek 4500 (at 500 in 2005) is still going strong and can be fixed using quality replacement parts if needed.

I would also suggest finding a good used bike for around $300 than to buy a new one for that price for a couple of reason:

1) Assuming everything works a used bike for $300 will have much better components than a new one so off the bat you'll be getting a better bike.
2) You'll be taking a used bike off someone's hands so he/she will have the funds to buy a new bike to replace it with.

This way you'll get a great bike at a low price, the seller will have funds for a new bike, the bike shop gets to sell a new bike. It's a win, win, win situation.

New bike

tonyride has nailed it!.
Your better off buying from a local bike shop(LBS) if you have any issues and something goes wrong you can bring it to them and have them fix it, sometimes in most cases if within the (walk out the door warranty usually 30-90 days) it will be done no cost, again it depends on what has occurred. If you buy a bike from those department stores and something goes wrong who’s going to fix it for you? those type of chain stores don’t really have a warranty to fix it and you have to ship it back to the manufacture at your expense and it takes time to get your bike fixed and sent back to you..., If your bike you purchased from the LBS usually comes with a 30-90 day service guarantee for any issues will be fixed, then after that you have the manufacturer’s warranty depending on the brand, make and model and type of bike.
to sum it up, spend a little, get a better bike, a good bike shop to help you get fitted for a bike and then you have a bike shop with great people for life...not sure were you are in Central NJ, but under the bike shop section here all of the shops have an owner or employee on this site, and all the shops on this site, are all great! from the owners to the employees all will treat you very well...

I will echo all of what has been said here already...Get a bike from a local shop. I bought my first bike in 2006 for ~400 (a Trek 4300, very entry level) and while it's nowhere near top of the line, it has served me well and it is still the only MTB I own at this point. Granted, I didn't start riding much until later in 2008 and I don't do any crazy kinds of riding, but it is still much better than a dept store bike. The bike is built with name brand components and anything can be easily replaced if broken. Who knows what is on the dept store bikes these days. Some day I'll actually go out and spend the cash on a shiny new 29er but until then, my current ride will keep me on the trails.

Yeah id have to say a used bike or go to a local bike shop that will help you out with the right purchase. I looked really fast and specialized rockhopper models start at around 350 dollars. And GT has a model called the Outpost for 450 with disc brakes. At a bike shop you can really find a good starting bike for around 500. Also find a 2009 leftover theres great deals right now on em. Bike shops will starting loading up with 2010 models this month and next month.

I know for me i bought an 09 leftover bike for 699 and the list price was 899. you gotta look and shop around for a good deal!

But in all reality a used bike will be the best value if money limit is below 500.

Good luck!

Listen to everyone here, I bought a 29er from Walmart.......(yes, thats right! WALMART!) Who knew they even carried 29ers. It looked good, seemed decent and it cost around 200.00. I used it to commute back and forth to work riding on the D/R Canal. Let me tell you............not even a week into riding back and forth, I started having problems with shifting and the braking. When I shifted, it would sometimes skip, and the brake cables rusted very quickly. Mind you, I learned alot about fixing my bike because something went wrong almost everyday. But it wasn't worth it!!! If you can afford it, spend a little more. Or take some time and save up some cash. You wont regret it. I'm about to finially buy a bike from a LBS. I'm looking to spend anywhere from 1k to 2k, but I know its going to be well worth the money.

Last edited:
I suggest you look at the Motobecanes on-line if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. I got a 400HT last year and it is quite durable and can handle beginner abuse. The down side is you will have to do some assembly and fine tuning which wasn't too bad.

I have a fully upgraded Trek 4300 large for sale. Mavic cross ride disc wheels, Sram X9 shifters and rear derailleur, Rock Shox Tora 318 air front shock, Avid BB 7 mechanical disc brakes,Truvaitv Stem, and WTV Race V saddle. Bike is in great shape, not dents. I will let it go for $400.00. The upgrades alone are more than the asking price.

The Giant Yukon is around your price range and is the bike many of us started on.
It's a solid build that can take tons of abuse.
If you're in central Jersey go check out Halter's Cycles and throw a leg over one.

I second the Motion for going to Halter's and checking out an entry level Giant. I personally did not buy my bike from there, but my friend did and they gave him a good bike for $350. Adjustable fork, Hard tail, and light. My friend said that the guys there were pretty helpful.

The Trek above sounds pretty good for the price. It's waaay better than anything you would get for $300-350 new.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom