Newb Story

PTB66

Just droppin in to say hi. Been lurking on the site for a couple months and seems to be a very cool place.
Little backround:
Around this time last year my GF and I decided we were both really out of shape so we went shopping for mountain bikes. I picked up a Giant Yukon and bought her the Boulder SE. We rode a few times, all was cool. Then I managed to break my hand (not on MTB) and took some time off from riding...Then I bought a house and took some more time off.
Finally started riding about three months ago @ 6 mile run and realized how out of shape I was. So I made a commitment to myself to lose some weight and just work on my over all fitness.
Started @ 6 foot 215lbs and set my first goal @ 200lbs and promised myself a new ride when I reached it.
So I modified my eating habits, rode more often, and a couple of bruises, scrapes, and endos later I'm now @ 198lbs with a new goal of 195lbs.
I feel like a totally different person....I have 10x the energy I had before I started riding.
My GF however, chose the dark path....and didn't stick with it. Still, she's given me all her support, and the okay to get the new ride.

Bought a "Cannondale F29'er One" from Halter's Cycle.
I also have to say "what a shop!". I don't know how Jason and his staff do it. Every time I go in there they always have time for you. I see Jason helping three to four people @ once and doesn't get all frazzled...Keeps his cool and just gets it done. Most importantly they treat newbs and veteran riders with equal respect..Awesome shop and staff.

That's a wrap....I've attached pics of the new ride.

J

Attachments

• IMG_29er Lefty.JPG
    IMG_29er Lefty.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_29er One.JPG
    IMG_29er One.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

NJ Jess

keep it up

the good work on the diet, exercise, and simply being outdoors. What a great stress reliever. Hope to ride with you some time, rubber side down,..

F

Fourtyfell

Hi, i can relate. i went from 215 pounds to 160. But i did it the completely wrong way. Changing the eating habits stink i know but hey you rewarded yourself for it, which is awesome. The bike also looks looks sick.

PTB66

gorgeous bike, lose the reflectors.

took um off right after I took the pictures.;) and before the first time on the trail.
Love this bike. Almost went for the SS but I'm not quite "there" yet.

damn Fourtyfell....55lbs. Congrats..

next reward is pizza @ 195....Man I miss pizza:drooling:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude, welcome.

I'll take your reflectors. Seriously. Send me a PM.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome aboard and congrats on both the new fitness and the new ride.
what size is the frame my f7 is a large I tested a medium Gary Fisher 29're at jorbafest and it felt pretty good I was wondering if I go for the C-dale if I am going for a large or medium...

PTB66

Welcome aboard and congrats on both the new fitness and the new ride.
what size is the frame my f7 is a large I tested a medium Gary Fisher 29're at jorbafest and it felt pretty good I was wondering if I go for the C-dale if I am going for a large or medium...

Thanks...
Jason let me demo the large SS but I wasn't quite comfortable. I felt like I had too much weight over the front wheel and was gonna go over the bars on log piles....Got on an XL and it felt perfect....I have a 34" inseam and my arms are pretty long so the XL feels perfect for me.

Norm...PM sent

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
Welcome to our happy little website. I'm right down the road from you in South Amboy and I cut through your town on my road loop. And we have the same bike, enjoy!

xc62701

Great job on reaching and setting those goals! That's a sweet ride for sure. I've been down that same path. I was 210 and now a constant 170 with hopes of better fitness and maybe 160 or 165 next year.

Top Bottom