Newb question on pro gear

Ian87

Hi,

I've essentially been riding on asphalt with my old bike. New bike (Niner Air 9 two star, 29er) arrives in a few days. I know I should probably get some gloves and maybe knee or elbow pads/protective gear. I'd greatly appreciate and guidance folks may have on what to buy, a couple decent brands, etc.

I'm an active guy, but this will be my first time really off road. I'm 50yo, but look and act like a 30yo. I'm in ok shape (work out w/a trainer 2-3x a week) but have been away from cardio a while (messed up my knee in Iraq). So I won't be doing tabletops 30' off the ground but will push it a little and certainly get in a couple small wrecks.

I'll be looking to pick up some gear that I can grow into a little. Don't necessarily need top off the line, but I do have some money set aside for this. Oh, and I have a good Giro road helmet, so that should work fine for now.

Again, any guidance you may have on what to get, brands, or brands to stay away from, etc. would really, really be appreciated.

Seems like such a nice community here, I'm super psyched to get going.

Thanks again,
Ian

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!
What kind of trails are you planning on riding? If you're not seeking out rocky gnar gnar,I think gloves and helmet are all you need. Personally, I don't wear anything other than gloves/helmet, but I keep my wheels on the ground 99% of the time.

I think there may be a thread on gear here somewhere, check under "Gear Review" I think it's called.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A good helmet is the main thing. I would get some good rides in first and see what you feel could make the experience better. If you are riding flat pedals then I would get a good pair of shoes. 510 are king but Giro makes some good ones as well.

Ian87

Welcome!
What kind of trails are you planning on riding? If you're not seeking out rocky gnar gnar,I think gloves and helmet are all you need. Personally, I don't wear anything other than gloves/helmet, but I keep my wheels on the ground 99% of the time.

I think there may be a thread on gear here somewhere, check under "Gear Review" I think it's called.

Hi. Yeah, sounds like just gloves then. I've had enough surgeries for a few lifetimes. I hope to keep the wheels.no more than 12" off the ground.

Ian87

A good helmet is the main thing. I would get some good rides in first and see what you feel could make the experience better. If you are riding flat pedals then I would get a good pair of shoes. 510 are king but Giro makes some good ones as well.
Perfect, thank you. I forgot about shoes.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you're not seeking out rocky gnar gnar,I think gloves and helmet are all you need.

you know i told someone once they didn't need knee pads for kingdom trails and then they fell and banged up their knee pretty good... so i'm keeping my mouth shut on the knee pad requirements for certain trails.

i've always liked the g-form knee pads.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
For pads, the G-Form stuff is a pretty solid choice for all around riding. I use them myself. They’re light, Flexible, fairly breathable and are easy to pedal in.

If you’re starting with flat pedals, a quality shoe like any of the 5-10’s will be your best friend.

Please don’t let anyone talk you out of wearing pads. Do you NEED them? Probably not, but so what. If you’re nervous about falling you’re going to be stif and ultimately more likely to wreck. The more comfortable you are on the bike the faster you’ll progress.

TimBay

I like my alpine star paragons, though I've heard people say the gforms are even more comfortable. Don't get any hard shell DH pads, not worth it. Like Juggernaut said, a sense of safety can help cut down nervousness and that is a big contributor to falling in my somewhat noob opinion. My worst falls came from nervousness and not committing. A MTB specific helmet is something to look into as they have more coverage for crashes. Unlike road, falling/crashing is just a part of riding trails (including going over the bars). You will fall and will get cuts and bruises. Gloves are personal taste. Don't forget to have spare tube, pump, multitool, etc. Shoes are definitely a game changer too. They're designed to have a good platform for gripping the pedals and have a firmer soul to keep your feet flat on the pedals. You'll notice the difference. I think you just missed a sale from Adidas (510). Good pedals are another important piece. Chesters and one up comps are popular flats for around $50.

RickVaughn

I ride:
MIPS helmet for safety - Bell Super DH
Full finger gloves - Fox Ranger Gel
Knee Pads always - IXS Flow

Anything else is fine. I'd recommend a padded liner to save your bum and keep all the parts together but wear it under mesh shorts and I normally ride in a tank to show off the guns.

No elbow or shin for me but I know plenty of riders who whoop me in full gear (Al...). I also rock an Osprey Raptor 10 hydration pack. Best pack ever, have 2 of them and a 3rd osprey pack.

Finally, get good pedals and shoes. I ride Crank Bros Stamp 7s Large and 5.10 Freeriders.

RickVaughn

For pads, the G-Form stuff is a pretty solid choice for all around riding. I use them myself. They’re light, Flexible, fairly breathable and are easy to pedal in.

If you’re starting with flat pedals, a quality shoe like any of the 5-10’s will be your best friend.

Please don’t let anyone talk you out of wearing pads. Do you NEED them? Probably not, but so what. If you’re nervous about falling you’re going to be stif and ultimately more likely to wreck. The more comfortable you are on the bike the faster you’ll progress.
I started wearing my full face because IDGAF and the added safety can keep me out of the hospital where the 'rona lives.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome Ian!
Wait - you already introduced yourself :D

Full finger summer gloves are a must - protection and grip.
Your call on the knee and elbow pads - good recos up there.
Lightly tinted sun glasses - or clear.

Some gear - hydration pack, stores some food, water, keys, phone, bandages, tools, extra tube, bug spray
There are many options.

There aren't any clinics scheduled right now, but those could help you avoid bad habits.
Good body position on the bike is important.

Hopefully you can find a couple people to ride with, who will take you through the progression
of mountain biking (don't go to high mountain for your first big ride) -

Sport is a lot of fun, and good people. Even if they seem like they want you to puke. ;)
See ya out there.

Last edited:

trener1

I like full finger gloves but with minimum padding, it protects your hand when you scrape them on a tree and also keeps your hands better planted on the bars when you get sweaty.
If you have a bike shop near you go try on a few pairs and see what you like.

goldsbar

Another vote for full finger gloves. Also, a helmet with a visor plus lightly tinted sunglasses will guard your eyes (tilt your head down when going through brush so the visor blocks it). All else at your option. If you go clipless, get SPDs with the multi-release cleat.

Most important, don't push wildly beyond your limit. Getting better isn't about testosterone, it's about technique and there's much more to the technique than many people realize.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm in the knee pad club also. I wear the Fox Launch Enduro. Softshell, so not a super amount of protection but better than skin and never bother me. I hear good things about the G-Form also.
A good helmet and gloves, (I like Tasco currently for gloves) decent shorts and some kinda sports/wicking top. I've always have an issue with eye protection fogging but the "visor as battering ram" concept does work.
There are some newer helmets with removable chin bars if you wanna get really rowdy.
I'm a fan of flat pedals but in the minority. If you grew up BMX or Moto flats will feel natural. If you were a roadie, maybe clips. REI has Raceface Chesters on sale for $39.00 if you wanna try them.
Emergency on bike kit:
Tube
Tire tools
Pump or CO2
Patch kit (I carry a plug kit also)
Biking multi tool
Chain tool and spare quick link
Zip ties, maybe some tape
First aid stuff maybe
I also carry something to cut and/or pry with

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm in the knee pad club also. I wear the Fox Launch Enduro. Softshell, so not a super amount of protection but better than skin and never bother me. I hear good things about the G-Form also.
A good helmet and gloves, (I like Tasco currently for gloves) decent shorts and some kinda sports/wicking top. I've always have an issue with eye protection fogging but the "visor as battering ram" concept does work.
There are some newer helmets with removable chin bars if you wanna get really rowdy.
I'm a fan of flat pedals but in the minority. If you grew up BMX or Moto flats will feel natural. If you were a roadie, maybe clips. REI has Raceface Chesters on sale for $39.00 if you wanna try them.
Emergency on bike kit:
Tube
Tire tools
Pump or CO2
Patch kit
Biking multi tool
Chain tool and spare quick link
Zip ties, maybe some tape
First aid stuff maybe
I also carry something to cut and/or pry with

Ride with Dave, then you don't need to carry any of those......;)

Good list! well done.

PS.
Join JORBA, carry JorBAnd.

gpTron

Gloves, helmet, pedals and shoes. Pedal upgrades especially were a game changer for me. First ride with Race Face Chester pedals I shattered all my previous Strava segment records.

Top Bottom