New XC fork?

betta285

I'm looking for a new fork for my '08 hardrock. It came with a horrible Suntour coil fork with 100mm travel but it barely moves and has no adjustment. After suffering these past few months I'd like to throw on another either 80 or 100mm fork for next season, but not sure where to look. It must have v-brake bosses, too. I ws looking at Rockshox Recon and Reba's, and some Fox stuff but I'm not sure what would work best. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jim

alex_k

I have Rockshox Recon and 2 Tora 318 forks (coil and air). All of them are good. Recon is the lightest one, Tora coil is the heaviest but very plush.

Ian F

Paraphrasing Keith Bontrager: good, light, cheap - pick any 2.

These days, I dont' think any of the forks from the 4 major brands are bad. You'll get differing opinions on which is best, but it's just that... an opinion. For example, I'm partial to Marzocchi... and tend to look at other brands with skepticism... but that's just my opinion.

Pick a price point and see what's out there. Go to various LBS's and push on forks... beg for test rides... see what you like.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
for the price you are going to pay for a decent fork you may as well save up and buy a whole new bike. i have an 08 hardrock as well with that crappy fork. i considered the upgrade option but when push comes to shave i just stuck it out and im picking up a new bike soon. just food for thought man.

betta285

for the price you are going to pay for a decent fork you may as well save up and buy a whole new bike. i have an 08 hardrock as well with that crappy fork. i considered the upgrade option but when push comes to shave i just stuck it out and im picking up a new bike soon. just food for thought man.

Yeah I was considering the true upgrade value and whether it is worth putting money into the hardrock, but truth be told, I love bike. Everything about it works great and it handles everything I throw at it. V-brakes have plenty of power and are easy to maintain, drivetrain is smooth, I upgraded the tires, and the frame is strong. I read a lot about weight, but I haven't really noticed as it climbs good and rides quick. The only weak link I can notice is the fork. I don't plan on doing any more upgrades so it's not like I'll be pouring money into the bike, but I think another couple hundred bucks is worth bringing out the bike's potential. And if i were to get another bike (maybe next season:D) it will probably be a Pitch, so I figure this will be my hardtail for a while. If all this is crazy talk, let me know.:)

Jim

alex_k

buy a fork and you will be happy... at least for some time... I don't regret about my first big upgrade - RS Tora. I'm going to move it on my next new frame soon.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
Yeah I was considering the true upgrade value and whether it is worth putting money into the hardrock, but truth be told, I love bike. Everything about it works great and it handles everything I throw at it. V-brakes have plenty of power and are easy to maintain, drivetrain is smooth, I upgraded the tires, and the frame is strong. I read a lot about weight, but I haven't really noticed as it climbs good and rides quick. The only weak link I can notice is the fork. I don't plan on doing any more upgrades so it's not like I'll be pouring money into the bike, but I think another couple hundred bucks is worth bringing out the bike's potential. And if i were to get another bike (maybe next season:D) it will probably be a Pitch, so I figure this will be my hardtail for a while. If all this is crazy talk, let me know.:)

Jim

nah definetly not crazy talk. but is it worth it to put a 500 dollar fork on a 500 dollar bike is the real question. i plan on getting my trance next moneth and converting my hardrock to single speed for shits and giggles.

lmckee

I'm running an 09' sid team. A few months ago I would definitely of recommended this fork but now that I'm getting ready to move onto my third one I'm going to say to check something else out.

Engignar

Try looking for a used Rock Shox Reba. I have seen them go for 2-250 used, they are totally tuneable, light, and pretty easy to maintain.

Ian F

I'm running an 09' sid team. A few months ago I would definitely of recommended this fork but now that I'm getting ready to move onto my third one I'm going to say to check something else out.

You're not riding that fork during the winter, are you? :confused:

walter

Fourth Party

Are you over 130 pounds?

lmckee

Are you over 130 pounds?

How about 230 pounds. And yes I do ride during the winter. Rock shox knows that there are problems with these forks. 743power also uses the 09' sid team at 160 pounds and he is having the same problems. My first one had the inside of the stanchion walls scratched from the factory and air was passing from the positive to the negative air chambers causing travel loss. The replacement one I have now is slowly losing travel also. At least rock shox is backing up their product by getting us new forks, even if they are still messed up...

walter

Fourth Party
My main concern is that Sids are historically noodlely, and at 230 you may be a bit of a challenge for that fork

lmckee

My main concern is that Sids are historically noodlely, and at 230 you may be a bit of a challenge for that fork

The new sids are awesome (if I can get one that works). They went to 32mm stanchions this year and the fork feels just as stiff as a reba or an f100. I really like the feel of this fork, I just think that rock shox has some bugs to work out of the new product.

Top Bottom