New Trails At Tourne... Yes New!

RyGanley

We have been reviewed and accepted by the parks commission to make a new reroute at the Tourne this Saturday.. Volunteers needed (Meet at Base ball field at 06-09-07 9am ready to dig and rake. Bring gloves, (water, snack and bug spray).

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
will bikes be allowed on these trails? i'm only half being a wise@ss.

Glancing Aft

How did everything go on Saturday? I was busy Saturday morning so I wasn't able to make it. However, I was riding there Saturday afternoon and didn't anyone working.

RyGanley

Turn out great, even with the low attendance of 6 people, everyone kicked it into overdrive and did the work of 12 people. Thanks again guys.

Diverted the North Section of 711 into switchback and closed up some of the double track going up... Next time we touch up what we did.. then finish off the North side and get started on the South side..

See picts from the day:
http://www.rysight.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=47

ytc100

Rode the "new" trail today and I have to say I was way disappointed. It's obvious you guys did a lot of work and I certainly appreciate that but I miss riding up the rocks.
I feel there are other areas in the Tourne which could use the kind of work you did far more than the section of trail that is now, in my opinion, a snooze fest. I hope the rest of the park doesn't become a bunch of rock free, smooth, slow switchbacks.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Trail you like...

One way to ensure the trails inthe parks you like to ride in is by coming out and helping with TM. This does not just apply to the Tourne, but all parks. Get involved and make your voice heard if you (as in everyone) have ideas. Very rarly will someone be told thier input is not appreciated. On the other hand you get the opportunity to find out why something is being doen ina particular way.

Disclaimer: this comment is not meant to start a flame war.

Bob W.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode the "new" trail today and I have to say I was way disappointed. It's obvious you guys did a lot of work and I certainly appreciate that but I miss riding up the rocks.
I feel there are other areas in the Tourne which could use the kind of work you did far more than the section of trail that is now, in my opinion, a snooze fest. I hope the rest of the park doesn't become a bunch of rock free, smooth, slow switchbacks.

scott, is this the trail that comes off the rocks on 911? i wasn't sure what they were talking about.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
NEVER line a trail with logs or branches!!I take it back if that was old trail..........

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
One way to ensure the trails inthe parks you like to ride in is by coming out and helping with TM. This does not just apply to the Tourne, but all parks. Get involved and make your voice heard if you (as in everyone) have ideas. Very rarly will someone be told thier input is not appreciated. On the other hand you get the opportunity to find out why something is being doen ina particular way.

Disclaimer: this comment is not meant to start a flame war.

Bob W.

I tend to think that this forum can, and should, be used to voice opinions and give feedback. If it's good enough to praise the work people do, I think it's a perfectly fair medium to trade ideas as well as offer some constructive criticism as well.

I don't think we're in flame war territory. It's pretty civil overall.

bruce.b

Dickwad
>>No, this is the trail at the south west end of the park, part of the red trail. Probably the most technical climb.<<

I like the change to the trail. The switchbacks are more fun than the old section. The part that was rerouted was not at all difficult, it was an easy climb on a rigid singlespeed.

Did you mean that the rerouted section was the most technical climb in the Tourne? If so, that's not correct. There are many climbs that are harder and more technical than that was. Even that trail is *much* harder in the opposite direction. The steep climb coming back from Mt. Lakes is a total walker on a SS for me. Even when I rode a gearie mountain bike at the Tourne it was an excellent challenge. I'd only occasionally clear the bottom (technical) section, and then have to really concentrate to make it all the way up.

bruce

RyGanley

As one of the Trail Builders I am very happy to hear everyones honest opinions. But in the future sacrifice a ride day to come to a TM day. I welcome any present volunteers opinions in the beginning of a trail build.

As of the old trail compared to the "New One": The whole trail was threatened to BE CLOSED! From the small frog pond to the start of the new trail. The reasons were very valid: "The trail was becoming very eroded because it was built on a fall line (the way the water runs) and in a year or two WILL become a gully." The 6 of us took it upon ourself to not just "band aid" this trail, but preform "Surgery". With surgery there is therapy, going back to the new trail and making adjustments accordingly, removing Bandages (the logs running on the sides) and letting mother nature do its thing.

So I agree this trail is not finalized yet, we plan on making a few adjustments at the next TM day.. including: widening and burming the bends in the switchbacks, smoothing out the rocky parts, tightening the single track and removing the trees lining the trail.

So if you have any improvement ideas I will be posting the next Tourne TM date Shortly, we could always use Volunteers: More hands equals faster finalized trails.

Top Bottom