New Trail Suggestion @Chimneyrock

Dingo

Not sure who to ask about adding a legalrock.jpg connector trail. I was riding back from a Vossler high tech loop, and found myself riding on Miller ln.

This way we can stay in the woods. Maybe even continue it all the way to the lookout, and stay off the double track path. Of course it would be twisty.
What do ya think? @Kirt

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
There is a trail that does that on the other side of the road ??

there is also an old trail in the woods that goes from the museum to hawk watch. Not allclear now, and mightbe in private land

Dingo

There is a trail that does that on the other side of the road ??

there is also an old trail in the woods that goes from the museum to hawk watch. Not allclear now, and mightbe in private land
Yeah, I rode out to high tech on the trail next to the road, but on the loop back I was on the rd. The new connector would keep from repeating the same trail.

Patrick

Staff member
Yeah, I rode out to high tech on the trail next to the road, but on the loop back I was on the rd. The new connector would keep from repeating the same trail.

I see what you are saying, the trail I suggest is short compared to the overlap.

going East from the museum trailhead I make the first right, sometimes the second and come through the second chained access
point on/across miller

Duck back in on the south side, I think there is a guard rail? But that creates the overlap

i usually ride down to the yellow 4way rather than coming back towards the miller lot. Best Dh in cr.

in this one we came back granola from the 4way to ride down the middle

also has the bushwhack from hawkwatch

https://strava.app.link/4djcIvwKY6

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Are you parking at the hawk watch? I guess my question is: why not take the trail I call Luge Run down time the 4-way from there? I know, not what you asked.

The park pretty much doesn’t add any trails to the map. So it would be impossible at this moment in time. The org chart of the county park system isn’t full right now. And even when it is, brand new trails are a tall order.

Dingo

I love doing the DH to the 4-way, and always start from miller rd entrance.
It seems we always do the curly section near the museum entrance twice or ride the rd to get back to the dh.

Dingo

Are you parking at the hawk watch? I guess my question is: why not take the trail I call Luge Run down time the 4-way from there? I know, not what you asked.

The park pretty much doesn’t add any trails to the map. So it would be impossible at this moment in time. The org chart of the county park system isn’t full right now. And even when it is, brand new trails are a tall order.
We never park at the hawk watch. This is just a suggestion, if it is even possible.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I love doing the DH to the 4-way, and always start from miller rd entrance.
It seems we always do the curly section near the museum entrance twice or ride the rd to get back to the dh.

So are you riding that red line from left to right or right to left?

Dingo

Would be right to left after doing a loop of high tech. Miller ln would be on the riders left.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Would be right to left after doing a loop of high tech. Miller ln would be on the riders left.

So why not go downhill right where your red line starts (on the right)?

I don’t want to sound like I’m telling you how to ride...but I realize that’s exactly how I sound. Sorry!

Dingo

Uh yea we do, and it ends at a T. We usually come up from the right here, or from the lookout.
The new trail would continue to the top of the 4 way trail, hang a right and bomb down to the 4 way. This keeps us off the road.

Patrick

Staff member
What i think i've heard is you've already ridden that dh to the 4-way and want to
go down the middle (interior yellow / krams?)?
w/o reride ?

the link from granola to the top of middle yellow isn't on your map -

that space does look inviting!

1591100441586.png

Dingo

YEA! It would connect yellow middle to the right where all those trails/double track meet on the right.
It could also continue to the overlook, and keep bikes off the double track (and away from hikers/bird watchers).
Never realized there is trail closer to the museum, as you did in this ride.

sorry I didn't have this map when I made the red line

Patrick

Staff member
that trail from hawkwatch gets very close to Herb's property - would need to check where it comes out.
We rode in to check out the overlook, and one of his displays.

seems i remember a a trail that didn't follow the paved path after going through the fence to hawkwatch on the north side.
perhaps lost in one of the storms.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No shot at adding anything at the present moment. The last year or so have been a struggle dealing with them to get anything done. If I ask for anything it’s as if I’m asking for a favor. Super frustrating to say the least. I really dont think the management has any idea how much work we as a group put into the park to keep it useable. With no sessions planned I think they are going to find out if they actually care.
That said, If you want to reach out to them and see where you can get, go for it. Try to set up a meeting and present your idea. Doubt you’ll get anywhere but maybe a new voice will help.

Dingo

Do you guys think it's a good idea? Or just forget it...

Kirt who do I contact, if I decide to push for it when things go back to semi-normal.

Patrick

Staff member
Do you guys think it's a good idea? Or just forget it...

Kirt who do I contact, if I decide to push for it when things go back to semi-normal.

I think your best arg is to move cyclists off the road, and the paved path for safety reasons!
GL - of course i'll help - i'm sure that area is a mess because trees falling over. never stopped us before ;)

Dingo

I do notice the stroller pushers and binocular carrying types giving the stink eye while on the double track to the lookout.

goodvibe

I looked for this trail that connected the museum and the lookout and could not find it. I looked a couple of days ago. I also noticed that there was a realty sign at the museum as well.

Top Bottom