New to the site, also seeking input

How is a new rider to know what kind of bike they are really after?

good one - originally, i had the idea that i wanted to get in for exercise, then i got a little fitness, and wanted to race a bit,
I had ridden 25 years prior on a rigid 26r, and upgraded to a hardtail 29r for the comeback. Then a FS bike
to race, then a more-better FS bike. I'll still race to participate, but it is all about staying on the bike now -
which is why i ride fat. not worried about bombing the dh, but would like to conquer more tech.
can't always get over the bigger logs tho. :(

So it is fluid, and depends on budget. i'm in a funk at the moment, not sure why - thought the nice weather would motivate me.
new bike? :D

Last edited:
I agree what @pooriggy said is spot on.... But really... Who follows it? That itch for that fancy new rig is just too overwhelming.

giphy (1).gif

Thanks for all the responses. I'm more or less "window shopping" at this point, not in a rush for something new, but also keeping my eye out. I'm usually not great at holding out on anything but I will do my best. I think deciding what I like can be figured out somewhat through a demo day, provided I can get to one. Also trying to figure out if any local shops demo/ "rent" bikes. That way I could at least get a good feel whether I like or don't like something while still having the ability to hand it back for a small fee. I realize maybe you can't necessarily "do it all" on one bike but if I can get close I'll be good.

Here’s my 2 cents; I’m over 45 years old and have a chronic lower back condition. I think proper bike positioning is key combined with some built in suspension from the machine under you. Personally I need to be a bit more upright in the saddle. I achieved that with shorter stem/steeper angle stem in combination with riser handle bars. I ride a full suspension bike mostly with tubeless tires. Tubeless is a game changer for sure. I also have a fully rigid fat bike tubeless of course. Both bikes are set up for preferred positioning. Bottom line I think is ride what you have with good positioning, properly set up, tubeless tires. Oh and Aleve BEFORE the ride!

Back
Top Bottom