New to the area looking for some riding buddies

Andy Lev

Hey everyone,

I moved to North Brunswick about a month ago and am working in Summit. I am looking for some riding buddies. I've been mountain biking for 15+ years (I started young). My roots are in XC growing up on LI but have fallen in love with technical trail riding after going to grad school in northern MA. So far I have gotten out at six mile run and Clayton park. Looking for suggestions in the central jersey area. My fitness has dropped a bit with everything going on but am looking to get out at least once or twice a week going forward. Monday Wednesday Friday evening and the weekends work best.

Hope to meet some of you soon!

Andy

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Welcome Andy! :) Fellow NB'er here (Maple Meade section).... in our area the next closest parks would be Chimney Rock (near Bridgewater), the Sourlands (Montgomery), and Hartshorne (By Sandy hook). All three have more of what you're looking for than 6Mile..... But you really need to hit up the northern parks to get what you really want.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
welcome Andy!

We usually hit Chimney Rock (Washington Valley Park) on Mondays - Ride is casual, and fun - this monday we are going to
Nassau Trails.

There are Wednesday rides at lewis morris, and wildcat - this may be changing with the early sunset.

Keep an eye on the ride specific posts in the 'Rides, Races, and Events Section"

Meetup.com also has a few NJ MTB groups.

Videotrailreviews.com is a great resource to learn about the local parks

Join JORBA at the festival, its part of the natural order of things around here (used my tagline generator skills)

Enjoy!!

ps - Sourland Mountain Preserve for the tech, be prepared to climb a bit!!!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome Andy!! Definitely hit up the festival this weekend. Great way to get a guided tour of a new-to-you park, plus meet a lot of the MTB community.

Keep an eye on the What's Going On This Weekend thread also.

Since you're in Summit for work, pop into Hilltop Bicycles, some good folks in there.

And like @fidodie said... JORBA. Join up. They do a tremendous amount of work throughout the state all thanks to volunteers and donations.

qclabrat

Welcome Andy,
the parks you mentioned are probably the least technical in the area
Definitely give Chimney Rock a go and is generally on your way home from work. Also give the 3 Allamuchy parks a try as they are relatively close to NB

Andy Lev

Thanks for all the info! Hope to meet some of you at the festival this weekend and rides throughout the week. Definitely want to check out chimney rock and sourland. I did the enduro they had ad Allmuchy a few years back and it was a blast, exploring more there would be awesome.

Looking into a new bike, currently on a 2011 giant reign, any thoughts on a 27.5+ for the trails around here? Should I go with the FS or HT?

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for all the info! Hope to meet some of you at the festival this weekend and rides throughout the week. Definitely want to check out chimney rock and sourland. I did the enduro they had ad Allmuchy a few years back and it was a blast, exploring more there would be awesome.

Looking into a new bike, currently on a 2011 giant reign, any thoughts on a 27.5+ for the trails around here? Should I go with the FS or HT?

Hi Andy, and welcome! Hope you got out to the festival and met some cool people. I grew up on Long Island too, where did you ride there? Stillwell was my home turf. If you're used to a Reign and wanna ride tech, definitely want a full suspension for NJ. I live close to Summit so maybe we could meet up for a ride sometime.

Top Bottom