New to sourlands

Pklimovich

I've only been to trails twice and both times I had no idea where I was going. What are good trails or direction to start off with?? Going Wednesday morning

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
this one hurts.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2684860847

up the left side plenty of fun stuff to play on -
two primary trails up top are blue (chunky monkey) or red - cross the pipeline up top, then come back across midway. depending on time, do the loop again on the other trail.
i wouldn't recommend the north corner of the park unless you are a trials person. although it is fun to see the boulders - and the dh there is very technical.

getting a tour will reveal many alternate lines. i'm committed to a wednesday evening ride at wildcat, otherwise i'd take ya for the tour.

Pklimovich

this one hurts.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2684860847

up the left side plenty of fun stuff to play on -
two primary trails up top are blue (chunky monkey) or red - cross the pipeline up top, then come back across midway. depending on time, do the loop again on the other trail.
i wouldn't recommend the north corner of the park unless you are a trials person. although it is fun to see the boulders - and the dh there is very technical.

getting a tour will reveal many alternate lines. i'm committed to a wednesday evening ride at wildcat, otherwise i'd take ya for the tour.
Thanks sounds good I have a few hours in morning to tour. I love to see it all thanks

Pklimovich

I made it to sourland but made a wrong turn. Still had fun road some rock features. Would do more if I was with someone just in case Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/nu4gpg2Q5Z

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190918-175158_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20190918-175158_Video Player.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 212

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I made it to sourland but made a wrong turn. Still had fun road some rock features. Would do more if I was with someone just in case Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/nu4gpg2Q5Z
Looks like you found Chunky Monkey (blue) which i dunno if i woulda done on my first trip to Sourlands but good on ya! Nice self shot Whale Rock too. When you finished blue and met up back with red, shoulda went left instead of right to continue around the perimeter. Still a good loop though.

Patrick

Staff member
not bad - at that 4 way intersection, make the right and take the connector to the fence. more better.

not a bad day on the trail tho. will provide a proper tour when we can meet up.

Pklimovich

Looks like you found Chunky Monkey (blue) which i dunno if i woulda done on my first trip to Sourlands but good on ya! Nice self shot Whale Rock too. When you finished blue and met up back with red, shoulda went left instead of right to continue around the perimeter. Still a good loop though.
Thanks im no stranger to technical stuff do it didn't bother me. I'll have to give it another shot on another day thanks

abef

Jumping into this thread, I'm new to the area and have ridden Sourland just twice now. I've really enjoyed the technical challenges and discovering some of the cool lines/feature, but it would be great to ride with a local to see where the best stuff is. Are there any group rides that a newcomer could join?

Patrick

Staff member
Jumping into this thread, I'm new to the area and have ridden Sourland just twice now. I've really enjoyed the technical challenges and discovering some of the cool lines/feature, but it would be great to ride with a local to see where the best stuff is. Are there any group rides that a newcomer could join?

We don't have any regular rides there. I'd be glad to give the slow tour! I'll try to coordinate calendars with @gmb3 for another groupie this fall.

When do you ride?

abef

We don't have any regular rides there. I'd be glad to give the slow tour! I'll try to coordinate calendars with @gmb3 for another groupie this fall.

When do you ride?
I have a pretty flexible schedule, so midweek afternoon/evenings are usually free, but also Saturday am is a good time.

I usually just do like patrick said south side of the park. I make a couple loops with the pipeline trail then roll down the red trail southside(i think thats three amigos)to the bottom trails and have fun going down

Jeff Savlov

Hi All. Been riding for about 7 years and loving it. Have heard about Sourlands and hiked here with friends this past Friday. Buddy and I took the bikes out there today. Got a bit confused and I read all above posts before we went LOL.

We went up the huge hill to start - all the way up to chain link fence - made a right to the trail just before the chain link fence. Followed white square markers and all was fun and good. Then we took the "C" trail markers and hit some gnarly sh-t - walked over a lot of stuff for a while. Finally, got lower down mountain and hit more ride-able stuff. Our intention was to go clockwise around the perimeter as suggested above. Seems we went down the middle. There are alot of great names of trails/parts of trails on this discussion - hard to translate into being out there. What could we have done differently to have avoided the really nasty stuff down the middle (I think it is accurate to call it down the ,middle - hard to know).

If it helps anyone figure out where we went, we went up and did all I described above and then went down big hill at the end. Never quite made the clockwise perimeter!

Like @Pklimovich - it is hard to figure out. Any help appreciated.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
@Jeff Savlov - at the lot, ride to the pond. When you ride past the pond, continue straight up the grass to a small trail head. Enter in, and turn left. Cross the pipeline. Next intersection, turn left. Next intersection go straight or right. They end up at the same place.

You’ll find yourself at a break in a chain link fence. Go through and up the hill.

You’ll come to a huge cairn. And now you’ve got a choice, stay left to go up, or stay right and go up. I go left. Then stay left again. You’re on “Three Amigos” now. Follow that until you reach the pipeline again. Cross the pipeline. Ree

Find a way down from that point. You already took one of them it sounds like.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions