New to Racing

Engignar

Hi all,

I plan to participate in my first race at some point this season, one of the campmor h2h races at either Vernon or Ringwood depending on how my schedule works out. I know the basics, that I will be in the beginner category in my age group, and to be sure to bring plenty of water and a few gels, as well as tube, pump etc. I have read that I can get a one day racing permit on site, what is the cost of the permit, as well as the entry fee for the race itself? Also, what time should I show up for registration etc? Any other key info I need? Most of all I am just looking to go out and have a good time, push myself, and meet some new people. Thanks!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Don't forget your shoes....:D seriously...I known 2 people who have forgotten theirs.

I don't know about the costs this year as I am not doing the H2H series. I believe it was about $5 extra for the one-day permit. Check the Campmor website for details they have all the links there. There is a tiny link at the bottom for the rules.

http://www.campmor.com/html/h2h.shtml

Good luck!

ArmyOfNone

First thing i learned about racing is that you need to go out at your own pace. The start is insanely fast. My first race i went out with the like a bat out of hell w/ everyone else. I blew up not long into the race and it made the rest of the day painful. The next races it took it out on my own and settled into a good pace. I jumped on w/ a couple of guys for a bit but that was a bout it. But the start sets it off. Good Luck!

O yea a good warm up helps also. I dont know how long it takes you to get loose but about 30 minutes w/ some sprints seems to do the trick. For me atleast. Im new to this and im not all that good either.

M

Michael

First thing i learned about racing is that you need to go out at your own pace. The start is insanely fast. My first race i went out with the like a bat out of hell w/ everyone else. I blew up not long into the race and it made the rest of the day painful. The next races it took it out on my own and settled into a good pace. I jumped on w/ a couple of guys for a bit but that was a bout it. But the start sets it off. Good Luck!

Very true. I was in a few races where there was a running start. Had to run like 1/4 of a mile or whatever and jump on your bike. That was rough with the adrenalin pumping. At the same time, if you start too slow you'll get behind so fast you'll never make it up to the front. You'll keep getting held up by slower riders. Takes a couple of races to find the balance.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All good thoughts. My additions:

1. Have fun.
2. Nothing depends on this race. Win or lose you still gotta go to work tomorrow.
3. The beginner race will never be all that long, so whatever suffereing you're doing will be over soon enough :)

Panhead

The Vernon race was in May, Ringwood is in October. I think Peekskill is next in Sept. The races are usually around $20 -$25 plus $5 for the NORBA license. I just started racing beginner this year, and the suffering is what makes me come back.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Remainder of the schedule for the Campmor H2H Series:

Race 6: 09.09.2007 - The Chain Stretcher, Blue Mountain, Peekskill, NY - promoted by www.wmba.org :D :D :D :D :D

**Race 7: 09.23.2007 - Helen Back Hidden Valley, Hidden Valley Ski Area, Vernon, NJ - promoted by www.towncycle.com **( the location of this race may be changed, so stay tuned for postings)

Race 8: 09.30.2007 - Tymor Park Challenge, Tymor Park, LaGrangeville, NY - promoted by www.bikeway.com

Race 9: 10.14.2007 - H2H Finals - Ringwood Fall Classic, Ringwood State Park, Ringwood, NJ - promoted by www.rvccmtb.com

:D pixy's smile rating

Engignar

Thanks everybody for your responses. I have no intentions of winning this race, I want to find out where I need to improve so that down the road I can win one. Great advice about not burning myself out in the beginning so that I have some gas in the tank at the end, especially on a course I have not ridden and don't know how much to save. About the shoes, are there any rules regarding the usage of toe clips? At a demo day this year one of the guys told me that they were trying to ban them completely (first I had heard this) as they were unsafe. I can certainly see how they can be unsafe, but I have ridden with them for 10 years, and I am much more unsafe riding flats or clipped in.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
just FYI, the hellen back at hidden valley, in vernon, is a VERY hilly race. it's either really steep up, or really steep down. just so you know what you're getting into. ringwood is a classic north jersey woods course.

M

Michael

Great advice about not burning myself out in the beginning so that I have some gas in the tank at the end, especially on a course I have not ridden and don't know how much to save.

Get there early and you should be able to do a warm up lap. You'd want to do a short ride before the start anyways.

Top Bottom