New to New Jersey

E

expat

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've recently moved to NJ from PA and am looking for a decent place to ride that's less than an hour from home ( Ocean City area ). I moved from PA and rode mostly Wissahickon for the last ten years or so. Wharton State Forest looks like it might be decent ?

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
welcome aboard...Allaire is a bit more north but I think well worth it.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
yeah man hop in the car and come to allaire. there are plenty of us that will be willing to show you around. may be a bit different to what you are used to in PA, but youll have a blast.

E

expat

thanks, i'm planning to check it out. ever ride wharton state forest in hammonton ? it's about half the distance from my house that allaire is.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
from what i've read, they are still working on putting together a loop in wharton. not to say that you can't or shouldn't ride there but a lot of the trails may dead end. that's at least what the interweb says. i read all all this information somewhere but can't for the life of me remember where.

anyway, welcome!

Mare

Welcome! Now that you moved to NJ, you either have to move north, or out of NJ to get some good riding :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought there was a big Wharton loop done? I also do not remember.

Hartshone Huber Woods, Parkway exit 117, to Rte. 36 East after Atlantic Highlands befor Sandy Hook. Turn right at West Marine/QuickCheck. Park in the Buttermilk Valley lot. Ride left fireroad up 2 hills, cut right at the log bench, explore & enjoy great single track, plenty of hills & ocean views (also find Rocky Pt trailhead by water tower). It's my favorite NJ trail system. - Scott

frickster

I didn't know about that map -- having ridden Wharton myself a few times, the map is cool but not very helpful. It's a great single track ride for 80-85% of the ~5-6miles. Highly recommend it and I'm going to put a better description in the SoJo (hey! get used to hearing that guys!!) section under the newly created Wharton forum (Thanks for adding!). It's a bit flat but lots of challenging twists and turns throughout. I just rode Estell Manor for the first time and thought it was a blast and a little more challenging than Wharton. It's probably about the same distance for your from OC and you get off the AC Expwy at exit 17 and take Rt 50 ~5mi South to get there.
Mare45 -- SoJo ROCKS -- I'm gonna sick the New Jersey Devil on you for that comment!!

Last edited:

Frank

Sasquatch
Having ridden at Wharton, as well as many other places in NJ, I would have to honestly say that Mare is pretty accurate.

Last edited:

frickster

I rode in Milburn (don't remember location anymore) a very long time ago (maybe 15yrs ago) back when I was living in Brooklyn. Allaire sounds really good. Ringwood is a bit too far though. I'm thinking about heading down to Newark, DE to White Clay (~1hr) some time soon.

sj_john

Wharton State Forest

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've recently moved to NJ from PA and am looking for a decent place to ride that's less than an hour from home ( Ocean City area ). I moved from PA and rode mostly Wissahickon for the last ten years or so. Wharton State Forest looks like it might be decent ?

The Green trail out of Batsto parking area is a 5.6 mile loop that has about 1.5 miles out jeep road in it. You can ride down the first jeep road a little further and pick up some of the Orange and ride singletrack instead. THis option makes the loop about 6.3 miles.
The Orange trail branches off of the Green trail and adds miles to the loop to bring the ride to 19.6 miles. There are still 2 locations on the Orange loop where bridges are needed and you have to ride on Goodwater road to continue on the loop. We hope to have the bridges in soon.

We rode the JAR Jersey Devil/Full Moon ride there last night and had a blast.

Having been a resident of South Jersey and a cyclist for a long time our brothers/sisters to the north are correct. They do have more challenging trails.

I generally head out of state for more local challenges. Delaware has Brandywine, White Clay area, Iron Hill and just to ride the course pay the race fee to enter the Granogue race in the MASS series, nearby in Maryland is Fair Hill.

John

frickster

Ok -- so I'm not saying that SoJo has the most challenging single track, but it's pretty good stuff and not at all crowded like some of the other places that I've been to further north and west. The challenge is maintaining a good pace through the narrow pines on the twisty trails and there's lots of good sharp turns/cutbacks to keep you on your toes

AND you can pick pounds of blueberries at places like Wharton which is just outside Hammonton!

Sj_john - your Wharton info is helpful. Can you please repost that info in the newly established Wharton forum (http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145) ? I'm going to scan the maps and post as well.

al415

Banned
Welcome to the civilised north east. There is some quality riding in a pretty compact area, Hartshorne, Huber and Allaire are all within a 20 minute drive of each other. Beyond that you have the likes of Chimney Rock etc. Just one thing, since when does moving from PA make you an Ex-pat?

Top Bottom