New to MTB! Rutgers Preserve?

betta285

Hey Guys,

I'm Jim. I live in Bayville, a couple miles south of Toms River. I'm a sophomore at Rutgers University, New Brunswick. I bought an 03 or 04 Hardrock back in 03 or 04 and it has basically just sat in my garage. I figure that If i'm going to use it to commute between classes, i might as well get some trail time as well. Being so close, how is the Rutgers Eco. Preserve to ride?

Jim

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
welcome aboard,
6 mile is close too and a lot longer of a trail...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
welcome.

+1 on 6 mile. warning: only 29er's, preferably single speeds, are aloud!

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Rutgers alumni here!! I rode the preserve for 3 years and had fun, there used to be good stuff hidden back there. But watch out for the weirdos lurking around, buncha McGreevys I tell ya.

THATmanMANNY

Yea try not to wear lycra you'll attract too much attention haha.

I mostly ride 6 mile and ride the preserve like here and there. 6 mile is way diff than preserve and less technical. The preserve is actually pretty big and it could be so much more and better.

Hey, on the days you don't have a car, tight on time, or don't feel like traveling I would just go to the preserve. It doesn't hurt.

sixseven

Welcome. The Rutgers trail is a quick little rip...its good if you have limited time and are close by. The good stuff is still there, just a bit run down.
You might run into some lonely looking guys in there, just keep riding...unless that's your thing.
6 Mile is a great ride, much more variety and many more miles.
Check out both.

MST.ESQ

Rutgers alumni here!! I rode the preserve for 3 years and had fun, there used to be good stuff hidden back there. But watch out for the weirdos lurking around, buncha McGreevys I tell ya.

Ok. I keep hearing about this. Who are these people? Gypsies, homeless, pervs looking to score in the woods? Or just Rutgers freshmen looking to find themselves and reconnect with nature? Has anyone ever witnessed anything freaky going on?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
lol at the mcgreevy comment.

i too sit in front of the computer all day, and i as well suggest 6 mile, probably about 15-20 minutes from you without traffic.

sixseven

Just local trouser pilots out looking for a quickie. They lurk around the busted up paved trail in by the old barracks. They don't hike, they just stand there. Some will pretend to be exercising if you are pedalling by.
Totally harmless unique fauna.

Mare

Chimney Rock is fun (more technical) and only about 10-15 minutes away from you. I'd definitely suggest checking it out!

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
Just local trouser pilots out looking for a quickie. They lurk around the busted up paved trail in by the old barracks. They don't hike, they just stand there. Some will pretend to be exercising if you are pedalling by.
Totally harmless unique fauna.

hahahah holy crap thats hilarious.

betta285

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm definitely going to ride the Rutgers preserve either monday afternoon or tuesday morning. any general beginner's tips?

Jim

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
give me a good review, its kinda local to me as well, id like to check it out.

Top Bottom