new to mtb and question about riding trail

M

motozine

Hello I'm from bergen county and started mtb about month ago now i'm really addicted.
So far exploring mountains in NJ/NY and question about guide line riding on trail. Is there any rules where to ride where not (other than own safety concern)? or basically I can ride any trail I see out there unless is private land?. I've been places small trails branched out from main ones but no trail signs. Is it ok just ride? :D
Basically like to find out if there is clear distinction between foot trail vs bike trail.
Appreciate for any advise.

RNG1

Good to see we've got some new Bergen county blood as there are not many of us. Frankly there is not much serious legal riding off road too close. Doesn't mean there aren't ways to train that will kick your butt though.you do have to keep your eyes open for the no bike signs specifically around the palisades where they are pretty firm about giving summonses.

BiknBen

You may need to provide more info for us to help. You indicated that you are from Bergen Cnty and riding on trails in NJ/NY. Bergen County does not allow off-road bicycling in any of the county parks.

I do recall seeing (and riding) some trails along the Saddle River Multi-Use Trail. These trails are not marked and were just created by trail-runners and bikers exploring the woods adjacent to the MUT.

In other words, tell us where you've been riding and we'll explain further.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
If you live near Montclair go to the Montclair Bikery or whatever it is called. If you get friendly with those guys they will introduce you to the Bergen Co riding scene. Illegal riding isn't really discussed on the forums. You aren't far from good legal riding either.

M

motozine

Hmm.... I see.
So far i've been state parks like wawayanda, ringwood, etc. Mostly the ones listed in this web site and within 1hr distance from my house. Doesn't mean I road all trails there though, :p
Anyway I see fire roads/trails to follow then time to time some small trails. I wasn't sure I just ride nor afraid to get lost so haven't been those to explore yet but just wondering if it's ok.
Also any good trail to ride near GW.bridge (with in 10miles)? probably short run after work. I live in Leonia NJ.
thanks.

BicyclePhD

Jamis Bicycles
Shop Keep
If you live near Montclair go to the Montclair Bikery or whatever it is called. If you get friendly with those guys they will introduce you to the Bergen Co riding scene. Illegal riding isn't really discussed on the forums. You aren't far from good legal riding either.

We are actually in essex county not bergen

G

Greenman

Ringwood State Park has trails marked for specific trail use.

You will see them dispersed through out the park. They are markers brown on color with the specific symbols hiking,biking,horseback riding that the trail supports.

RNG1

Just so you know I really wasn't suggesting illegal riding, I was just letting him know specifically about the Palisades which if you happened to get on without knowing. I was actually referring to some of the hilly roads in the area (although now knowing that you are not that close to my area it is not that helpful).
I realize you are asking about trails so this is off topic but you could ride the scenic road that starts at the base of the GW and runs all the way up to the ranger station before it turns back onto 9w.Yes it is road but with some nice hills that will get you or help you stay in shape.

argyle

I realize you are asking about trails so this is off topic but you could ride the scenic road that starts at the base of the GW and runs all the way up to the ranger station before it turns back onto 9w.Yes it is road but with some nice hills that will get you or help you stay in shape.

heck yes. that road is tough. especially on a mt.bike. i ride it from time to time for some great fitness and excellent views.

Robson

I live in Northvale and there is nothing in the area for offroad riding. Ringwood is the only choice and then Wawayanda.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome aboard,
if you get a little south the is 6 mile which is a blast but there is all ways Allamuchy.

M

motozine

How about high mountain near wayne? looks like it isn't that bad from reviews here and pretty close from my house.

Top Bottom