New to East Brunswick...

Eddy-V

Good day gents. Just moved to EB from Rutherford and wanted to connect regarding rides and general info. I signed-up with MTBNJ 2 years ago, but haven't posted much. I have an On One Fatty, Gary Fisher hard-tail, Gravity road bike, and have ridden 6 Mile Run several times in the past. Frost Woods is 2 blocks away from our house, and so I'm planning on riding my Fatty there early tomorrow morning. I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate, but will pretty much ride anything that isn't insanely dangerous at my skill level :cool:. I'm always looking to learn new skills and lines from more advanced riders, while at the same time help along newbs to improve their confidence and technique. Hopefully we can meetup soon, looking forward to it.

thegock

Welcome to your guide to the Rock Garden State. Look for rides posted at Chimney Rock-Fun Mondays.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome...back? Only thing I got is don't eat the yellow snow tomorrow :D

qclabrat

well alright finally another Fatty owner, you must be poor like me, :D
mine at a svelte 38lbs
WP_20161124_10_20_13_Pro.jpg

Eddy-V

Thanks 'thegock'. More or less when do the CR-FM rides begin, around April? I've never ridden there, but looking forward to ROCKing it.

Hey 'rottin', good advice! I resisted the urge to taste the lemon Italian ice..... ;)

Mr. 'Juggernaut', you are my rubber that meets the road (trail actually)......as in Kenda Juggernauts on my Fatty o_O. I will DEF checkout those rides you mentioned. Hope to see you there.

'qclabrat', as you already know, you are either On One or you're not :cool:. Great handling bike and performs nicely in almost all conditions. I wore-out the original tires and have since gone with above mentioned KJ 120TPI. Very light tire (needs taller knobs though) and, with a tubeless setup on Mulefut 80 rims and 1x have gone down to about 32lbs. It's so much fun...

All the best gents, see you out there...

Eddy-V

image.jpeg
I rode Frost Woods today for about 1.5 hours and then hi-tailed it to Thompson Park for another 1 hour before THE BOSS checked in. :D

As I'm sure many already know, FW is short-and-sweet. Not much mileage but a good, quick cardio workout, especially if you ride the unmarked trails. There are some cool features in there and others which have good potential.

TP is a blast! Wasn't able to ride everything but it had nice flow and steepish climbs, along with several skinnies and a major ROOT garden along the river ;). Cant wait to go back there and explore all of it. Quick shot on blue trail.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey @Eddy-V

MTBNJ puts on some nice group rides so keep an eye out for when those are announced. And there are some Meetup group rides that are really nice and laid back... I try to make it to the Lewis Morris Wednesday rides (when NJ Transit cooperates)...

Anyway... Welcome and see ya on the trails!

Mountain Bike Mike

Check out Jamesburg park. There are a few trail heads on Crescent Ave and Old stage Rd. You can also park in the strip mall on Cranbury Rd and enter there... mostl flat quad trails. Good for beginner and lots of sand for fat bikes.. go explore. Lots of trails ready for explore...

Also check out Thompson park in Jamesburg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Check out Jamesburg park. There are a few trail heads on Crescent Ave and Old stage Rd. You can also park in the strip mall on Cranbury Rd and enter there... mostl flat quad trails. Good for beginner and lots of sand for fat bikes.. go explore. Lots of trails ready for explore...

Also check out Thompson park in Jamesburg

@Eddy-V,

To follow up MBM's post. You can also enter on Helmetta just SE of Old Stage. By Port. There's "home cook'n" stuff on both sides of the road you can thank MBM and @Flaubert for. ;)

Eddy-V

:confused: Sincerest (and quick!) apologies to ALL the female members on this site I dissed! What a knuckehead, sorry my bad! :)

@MissJR - Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and I also hope to see you on the trails soon!
@Arwen's Mom - Thanks for whooping my un-etiquetted butt! :D

Eddy-V

Thanks @mattybfat and @1sh0t1b33r for the warm welcome!

@Mountain Bike Mike and @Juggernaut I'm definitely going to explore in that area. That's half the fun for me, to just wander off-road (or on-road) and find new, cool places to ride. The other fun part is hitting the same trails over and over again, to improve skills, technique and overcome any fears.

Has anyone taken skills classes like Michaux MTB School or BetterRide.net? I'm interested in attending Michaux in the fall.

Thanks!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I used to work at the bike shop right in front of the mall and would ride Frost regularly after work. Many moons ago. Welcome. I'm also fat.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I second Ben (Cognition) for skills stuff... I've even had him help me out with downhill stuff too.

Eddy-V

@MissJR thanks for the input. Yeah I want to get better at planting dropoffs, do less pathetic bunnyhops and rail sweepers with vigor. I'll definitely reachout to Ben soon.

@jimvreeland we've never ridden together but I used to ride regularly with Russ, Mike, Keith and Doug in the FF a couple years back. Snow, ice, climbing, descending, night-time, I learned my basic bike-handling and trail skills with that fun, fat, motley crew. Now being settled in EB I'm looking to get more active once again. Let's ride together sometime.

Top Bottom