new tires?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ok, so when do you replace the tires on the matchy-matchy bike? i just looked at mine and there is some cracking and splitting that looks like spiderwebs. my guess it that means it's time to replace. yes? no?

also, what type of tire do i need? maxxis any good? i ride about four 20 to 30 mile rides a week. i do zero racing. i just need a good tire.

thanks!

BiknBen

If you are not racing and not getting flats, just keep riding. I use two sets of wheels and tires. One is a training set while another is for racing or super hard rides. I'll run the training tires down to the threads. Eventually, I'll get a flat and then accept that they need to be replaced. You should expect 3k miles on any decent set of tires.

If you are just riding around, I recommend using 25c tires. They will last a little longer and be slightly more comfortable (more air volume between you and the road).

I prefer Continental but we could endlessly debate brands. Anything you buy at a bike shop will be fine.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I quit Contis. I got sick of dropping good money on a tire that the sidewall would invariably rip on.

BiknBen

Great. I just ripped a sidewall on my Hutchinson's and switched to a Conti.:rolleyes:

As I implied in my previous post, we could debate the brands till the cows come home. Every tire is susceptible to a cut or flats from debris. Every tire will eventually give out from normal wear. Contis have a long reputation for having a sidewall that looks like it is falling apart. In the last five years, they have made certain models with an added layer on the sidewalls as a response to those critics. The Conti tread often cracks or looks dried out. I've seen this on many of my own tires. I've never found that it effects anything. I choose Conti most often because they have a wide selection of models and can be found at any shop.

The point is...If you think one brand is better than another, you are making a bad generalization. Find a model that suits your intended use and go.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Continental Grand Prix 4 seasons...they have been going strong for about. I did have 25 both front and rear and I just got a 23 for the front. One ride on it and I like it.

These wear great, I just had a really bad skid/almost collision with a car and I tore through the tread to the threads. That was after almost 2000 miles though...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The point is...If you think one brand is better than another, you are making a bad generalization. Find a model that suits your intended use and go.

I would agree with the first statement. I tend to look for the cheapest sale tires I can find that don't have terrible reviews on roadbikereview.com and buy 2 pair. If they work out great for you that's a few years of tires. If not at least you're not left with 10 tires of something that eats it.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
I have Conti's for racing, but for training I use Spec. All-Condition. Those I have a good 3k miles on, and still running strong.

Mich. Pro 3 is a really fast racing tire, so if you want more speed.. there you go.

The Spec. Roubaix is one of the most comfortable tires I've ridden. You can just see the extra rubber, very soft.

My vote: give the All-Conditions a try. They're reasonably priced too!

Top Bottom