new tires

SpartaBard

Looking for new wheels. Thoughts? I think I narrowed it to these three. Also, thoughts on kevlar vs. wire bead?

IRC Mythos XC MTB Tire - Folding
mythos

Panaracer Fire XC Pro MTB Tire - Folding
Panaracer

WTB VelociRaptor Race 2.1 MTB Tire
WTB

Also the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo
Panaracer Smoke

Last edited:
D

DANSPANK

Hi Brad,
I've got the Snoke/Dart combo on my MC Fury. They're great in the soft stuff but I found that they didn't roll very well on hard-packed stuff...

Shaggz

A strong 7
Brad - there are two tire threads floating around with real good advice. I was not impressed with the mythos, but really liked the panaracer. You owe it yourslefl to look at the Maxxis ignitor - i think pixx or maurice mentioned them to me. I don't have a lot of miles on them, but the the three times i used them, they were fantastic - haven't hit any muddy conditons yet.

Kevlar, i think, is lighter than the steel bead.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Brad,

First realize that every tire under the sun is going to work now. These are no conditions to test tires in since they're all great. I ran the IRC Mythos during the season and hated them. They grip like glue right now. I have that on the front of the SS and the Smoke on the back. Works well now but those are 2 sucky tires when the ground isn't like cement. My advice is to throw anything on the bike you don't particularly care for and wear them down this time of year.

The Panaracer Fire XC Pro is everyone's fave. I ran the Velociraptor before the FS. They were good but I was a lot slower then. I have a brand new set in the basement I'm going to try out this year at some point. Mike679 thought they were just ok. Woody (the guy who rode with us up at KVSP) swears by them.

If you're interested in the Panaracer Cinders, forget them. They're mediocre at best in all conditions. The Kenda Nevegals or Blue Grooves are popular but wear fast.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Brad - I should note that the ignitors were run in "normal", i.e., not frozen ground, temps, during the warm stretch in dec - early january at mahlon dickerson.

SpartaBard

This is what came stock with the MUSS:

WTB All Terrainasaurus, 26x1.95

So, really anything would be a step up. If I like what I end up purchasing, and the price is reasonable I may get a pair for my Epic.

The IRC Mythos XC MTB Tire - Folding @ $ 13 or $40 for three
Panaracer Smoke/Dart @ $16/17
Velociraptor @ $36
Panaracer Fire XC @ $20 for the Pro SE or $25 for the Pro MTB
- any idea what the difference is?

all costs given from performance to a get a basic cost range.

Mike679

My two cents on tires I've used in the past year:

- Specialized Adrenaline (or whatever the tires were that came on my bike) - Loved the way they rolled, nice and grippy. Downside there was that I got the bike in early '06 and the sidewalls on the rear tire didn't even last half of the summer and I only ride once a week (unless you count mind-numbing trainer miles on an old hardtail). Maybe the new Resolutions are more durable.

- WTB Velociraptors - Replaced the rear Specialized with this tire. These have been my default tire since 1998 or so. Had a relatively new one in the garage and put it on. Don't love them or hate them. They're durable, but don't roll nearly as well as the Specialized tires did.

- Panaracer Cinders - Put these on front and rear around New Year's. Got them cheap. Like Norm said, given that the ground is frozen, it's been tough to gauge their true performance, but I was sticking on some climbs better than with the WTBs back before the ground really froze.

May go back to the Specialized - the price on their website is pretty good. Tires are a personal thing from rider to rider. I tend to convince myself that anything new that I've spent money is good so I won't feel bad about wasting cash on something that may truly be shit, so my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

Mike

PatrickBrown

I gotta say, back in the day I found the best grip was velociraptors, but they were heavier and alot bulkier,

the smoke/dart combo I didnt really like.

my fav by far was...... (drumroll please) mythos and on some races even a mythos slick......

and I was am pleased to find out that mythos comes in a 29er (I think)

I did most of my riding at places like hartshorne/huber and roundvalley, then did all the races up north jersey on them.

Last edited:

The Rose

If you are looking for a good SS tire check out the Kenda Cortez. Tomac designed them with the SS's in mind. Also The Kenda Nevegal is a great tire. I have a set on my SS right now, 1.95 rear with a 2.1 in the front Both use the DTC compound. A harder tread in the center for faster rolling and longer life , and the softer rubber on the cornering knobs. For the single speed try and go with a tire that offers bothe good traction with low rolling resistance.

SpartaBard

argh. Too many options, I guess I need to seperate my needs.

I would like a more aggressive tread on my Epic as well as the MUSS, but I guess I also need to consider a wheel that rolls well on the ss since conservation of momentum is important.

Maybe I should move my Specialized tires over to the SS and get new tires on the Epic?

S

Stan LeCupp

I haven't tried them myself but quite a few people like the wtb weirwolfs. Kenda nevegals might be worth a look, i like them but the sidewalls aren't too tough. I tried the Irc mythos and hated them. Panaracer fires are nice tires but I like something bigger with more volume.

The Rose

There are so many tires out there that you could drive yourself crazy trying to make up your mind. MOST of the tires work very well , you just have to figure out which tires will wok best in the terrain you ride in and will compliment your riding style the best.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
argh. Too many options, I guess I need to seperate my needs.

I would like a more aggressive tread on my Epic as well as the MUSS, but I guess I also need to consider a wheel that rolls well on the ss since conservation of momentum is important.

Maybe I should move my Specialized tires over to the SS and get new tires on the Epic?

What's aggressive mean?

Conservation of momentum = lighter tire. Look at the Specialized Resolution, then get a super light tube. I once read someone's opinion that a super light tube will flat in the same places a regular tube will. Not sure I agree but they never seem to give me problems.

SpartaBard

...you just have to figure out which tires will wok best in the terrain you ride in and will compliment your riding style the best.

I think for the Epic, mostly northern trails, MD, KVSP, Allamuchy. For the MUSS, less technical places such as LM/PP, and southern trails.

Riding style... slow, mountain lion bait.

What's aggressive mean?

Conservation of momentum = lighter tire. Look at the Specialized Resolution, then get a super light tube. I once read someone's opinion that a super light tube will flat in the same places a regular tube will. Not sure I agree but they never seem to give me problems.

Grippy. I have the Specialized Fast Track Pro 2.0 on the epic. I think I will put those on the MUSS with a super light tube as you suggest. I will keep researching for the Epic.

walter

Fourth Party
I wasnt a big fan of the panaracers, in the front at least, to many close calls with me and the bike wanting to go one way, and the front wheel wanting to go another. I really liked the hutchinson pythons, and right now I am happy with the nevegals on my 29er. The nevegals getting my vote for the "aggressive" tire, and the pythons getting the vote for fast rolling summer tire. Again, many options to try, maybe we should start a MTBNJ TIRE TRADE, you got some tires, I got some tires, hes got some tires, you try mine, I try yours etc., could help everyone out and save you some bucks in the long run

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Grippy. I have the Specialized Fast Track Pro 2.0 on the epic. I think I will put those on the MUSS with a super light tube as you suggest. I will keep researching for the Epic.

Grippy, then you may want to try the Kendas. They wear fast but everyone seems to be happy with the grip on them.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
There are so many tires out there that you could drive yourself crazy trying to make up your mind. MOST of the tires work very well , you just have to figure out which tires will wok best in the terrain you ride in and will compliment your riding style the best.

That's exactly the problem I have too. I end up trying alot of tires, and end up not that crazy about some, like the ignitors. My basement of tires looks like some women's shoe closets. :hmmm:

Right now, I really like the nevagals, but am running tubeless, which probably exagerates the grippyness. They do shed mud well also, which is something I always look for, because if they get caked with mud, they will run slower and not hook up as well.

Good luck.

The Rose

Like I said in my earlier post I have the nevegals on my SS and Kinetics on my Marin FS. I really like the Nevegals in all conditions. I think running the DTC versions of the tire help them roll alot faster and last longer than the Stick-e version. The Kinetics, although they grip like crazy they tend to roll pretty slow.

Top Bottom