New SS Build which route?

P

pdm362

I was thinking about the Redline Monocog Flight and the Fetish Cycles Fixation. Ebay has the Fixation frame for $150 and the Redline Monocog Flight goes for about $700. Would it be cheaper to get the Fixation frame and build it up or is the red line the way to go?? Thanks

Paul:)

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I was thinking about the Redline Monocog Flight and the Fetish Cycles Fixation. Ebay has the Fixation frame for $150 and the Redline Monocog Flight goes for about $700. Would it be cheaper to get the Fixation frame and build it up or is the red line the way to go?? Thanks

I am looking at a new 29er FRSS too,

look at the REDLINE frame @ jensonusa
http://jensonusa.com/store/product/FR403A00-Redline+Monocog+29Er+Framefork+Set+07.aspx
only $189. Free Shipping. It is a beautiful frame, my buddy just build one up recently. The only thing, it doesn't have the EBB.

I am wondering the same, is it cheaper to build or to buy the whole bike. I haven't made up my mind yet.

walter

Fourth Party

You have come to the right place, many, many of us here are ss friendly, most of us use the ss as the weapon of choice. I am sure that many will chime in that if you are going to go the ss route, jump up to a 29er ss. A lot of great bikes out there that are really priced nicely. I ride a Haro Mary ss that is probably the best bike I have ever owned. Haro, Raliegh, Redline, Kona, Cannondale, Fisher and a host of others all have great 29er ss's, all priced from about 500-1500, roughly.

As far as you choices, I would pick the Redline over the Fetish, only because you are going to get the Redline from a shop, which is going to give you better support in the long run. I have no exp. with Fetish Cycles but they are an internet co. only, which, if something ever goes wrong, could be more of a headache than anything.

Like I said, stick around, hopefully some of the other folks here will share some insight, its a shame though, once you ride the ss, your Rush will start to feel a bit lonely.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
there's something about mary...

You have come to the right place, many, many of us here are ss friendly, most of us use the ss as the weapon of choice. I am sure that many will chime in that if you are going to go the ss route, jump up to a 29er ss. A lot of great bikes out there that are really priced nicely. I ride a Haro Mary ss that is probably the best bike I have ever owned. Haro, Raliegh, Redline, Kona, Cannondale, Fisher and a host of others all have great 29er ss's, all priced from about 500-1500, roughly.

As far as you choices, I would pick the Redline over the Fetish, only because you are going to get the Redline from a shop, which is going to give you better support in the long run. I have no exp. with Fetish Cycles but they are an internet co. only, which, if something ever goes wrong, could be more of a headache than anything.

Like I said, stick around, hopefully some of the other folks here will share some insight, its a shame though, once you ride the ss, your Rush will start to feel a bit lonely.

and it's not the goo dripping out of her hair. :D

i, like walt have the mary 29er SS. i ride this bike prolly in a 6:1 ratio over my fully suspended fuel. simply love it and have rode most parks in North NJ with the exception of 'mooch which i may or may not do. but i digress....

i agree 100% with walt. buy from your LBS...or at least give them a shot. bring in your internet special deal and see what they can do. most of the time you'll be getting a year + of free tunes at the LBS so you have to factor that in. at about $40 a pop for a BASIC tune...well...do that math for needing a tune once a month or every other month. you're going to see that the internet "steal" isn't such a good deal.

also, if you try to piece the bike together you're going to spend more money. yeah, you can cut corners here and there but you'll get a better quality product with minimal need to upgrade (unless you have an affinity for baby blue seats...) if you get the whole package. that's that whole cheaper for higher volume thing.

anyway, good luck with it. the 29er SS world is the place to be. drink the kool-ade...it tastes peachy!

P

pdm362

Lbs

I do prefer going to and LBS because I believe in supporting them as they can support me as well. Getting a SS 29er never really crossed my mind but now I can't stop thinking about the possibilities. I really want to keep the price well below $500 if I can. I have an '06 Jamis Dakota Comp. Is it possible to strip most of the components and put them a SS frame? I think the seatpost, handle bars, brakes, wheels, rear cog, and cranks could be transferred right??

Paul

walter

Fourth Party
you could just convert the Jamis to a single speed, for mere dollars. The regular Redline monocog, not the flight, can be had, complete, for like 500

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
yep, correct. the non flight version of the MC is at or around $500. alamuchy joe has one and loves it.

P

pdm362

Monocog 29er

I posted this without really doing much research on prices and I found that the Monocog 29er is $470 stock. Hopefully I can find a dealer that can give me an end of the season discount or something. Thanks for the help guys.

Paul

ArmyOfNone

Sell the old bike take the cash from that and put it w/ the 500 beans ya got and get yo self a mary. The new colors are perty.

I have heard more bad than good about the redline. The frame is not so great and it as alot of flex.

I have been on the mary many of day, and i love the freakin thing. It wouldnt be my first choice but it comes in a close second.

P

pdm362

Sell the old bike take the cash from that and put it w/ the 500 beans ya got and get yo self a mary. The new colors are perty.

I have heard more bad than good about the redline. The frame is not so great and it as alot of flex.

I have been on the mary many of day, and i love the freakin thing. It wouldnt be my first choice but it comes in a close second.

I don't think I would be able to sell my Jamis to anyone for $500. I don't know enough people who mtb. I also looked into the Surly 1x1 and that may be an option because the shop I talked too can get one for a decent price which will help me out. Thanks for the info/advice..

Shaggz

A strong 7
Really? There a couple of them on this board whose owners a big guys, and I have heard nothin' but love for the RL, especially at the price point.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Really? There a couple of them on this board whose owners a big guys, and I have heard nothin' but love for the RL, especially at the price point.

ditto. if the 29er boards are to be trusted :hmmm: then the MC is an incredible value and a stout bike...especially at that pricepoint.

Frank

Sasquatch
I have heard more bad than good about the redline.

I know of some folks with the "flight" that had issues with their sliding dropout.My Monocog 29er had horizontal dropouts with a bolt in axle and chain adjusters like a bmx bike. It's a VERY reliable setup. I'm 245lbs and I've had to upgrade to a half link chain because the others broke, that has been my only real issue with my bike.

Frank

Sasquatch
It's a chromoly bike...it doesn't have a horrible amount of flex imho. If you are expecting aluminum frame rigidity, you'll be disappointed.
As far as frame quality is concerned.....I have not been too nice to the bike and it always comes back for more. It's a tough bike, and I love riding it more than my squishy.

Top Bottom