New Spesh Status?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Have you guys seen that Spesh quietly rolled out a new Status this past year? 160mm, mullet setup, super slack, alloy only, just one build level available, and crazy budget-friendly for a store retail brand? $2400 gets you a complete with a fox 36 (rhythm OEM), Code R brakes and a dropper. That's YT territory there. Pretty much an ideal park bike but not many available and not even listed on the spesh site. Maybe they're worried about dipping into Enduro sales but I dont get the soft rollout. Anyone know more?

Attachments

• Specialized-Status-160-news-02-c41f1b7~2.jpg
    Specialized-Status-160-news-02-c41f1b7~2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 161

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thought this was a thread about when your new spesh order will be in.

i like these price point options, makes the likely good of my son riding a FS much higher

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
i like these price point options, makes the likely good of my son riding a FS much higher
I don't think there's another big bike within $600 of this among non-direct sales bikes. Giant no longer has a Reign under $3k, norco range, shore, tranaition patrol, trek slash etc - all 3k or more.

My son wouldn't be caught dead at the bike park on a single crown. He'd ride his 40lbs of 200mm dual crown travel on trail rides if I let him!

Reactions: don

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Looks like a solid park bike. I wouldn't want to pedal it uphill. I've noticed companies are putting out more "freeride" bikes ... 170-190mm travel park bikes that are not meant to see much climbing.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Looks like a solid park bike. I wouldn't want to pedal it uphill. I've noticed companies are putting out more "freeride" bikes ... 170-190mm travel park bikes that are not meant to see much climbing.

They're trying to do both with this bike weirdly enough. Just 160mm for the fork and has the sram eagle and 2.3 tires. Weird. Should just embrace it as a park bike and give it 170 and 2.6s. One guy bought the frame (only $1300) and built it up with a 170mm fox 38 which means the fork cost more than the frame lol.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
They're trying to do both with this bike weirdly enough. Just 160mm for the fork and has the sram eagle and 2.3 tires. Weird. Should just embrace it as a park bike and give it 170 and 2.6s. One guy bought the frame (only $1300) and built it up with a 170mm fox 38 which means the fork cost more than the frame lol.
Yeah I agree 100%. Especially for here on the east coast. I know out west you have these access roads that climb 1800' and lead to the start of sweet DH trails but here it's either ride the park or take your 35 lb "enduro" bike on a trail ride. The whole concept is dumb to me.

Last edited:

goldsbar

The Canyon Stoic 140mm HT alloy trail bike is $1,800 with a Pike Select, NX, Guide Ts, house brand dropper and other cockpit parts. I know, very different bike, but they're both trying to do the burly trail bike thing. $600 more for a FS and the backing of the Big-S name seems like a real deal.

The more similar Spectral 7 is more in the $2,800 neighborhood. Spesh wins again.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
The more similar Spectral 7 is more in the $2,800 neighborhood. Spesh wins again.
Yt and canyon will offer more bang for the buck without question (a capra starts at 2300 for 180mm though good luck getting one), but to get a big bike at a shop for 2400 beans is killer. Very smart move by spesh even if they're clearly struggling with how much to promote and make it.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My son wouldn't be caught dead at the bike park on a single crown.
Lots of people running the og Status with a dual crown at the park. I wonder if this one has the head tube for it. I don’t really know what makes a head tube dual crown compatible... but the Status is one bike I have seen plenty setup both ways.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Lots of people running the og Status with a dual crown at the park. I wonder if this one has the head tube for it. I don’t really know what makes a head tube dual crown compatible... but the Status is one bike I have seen plenty setup both ways.
The original one, definitely, but I think that had a bit more travel. This one is just 160 and already a 63 degree HA so a 200mm fork would be comedically slack.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
This one is the biggest setup I've seen and still just a 170mm fork. Though the coil looks juuuust right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201231-114401_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201231-114401_Facebook.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 427

w_b

The original one, definitely, but I think that had a bit more travel. This one is just 160 and already a 63 degree HA so a 200mm fork would be comedically slack.
agreed; but isn't the "new geo" comedically slack compared to just a few years ago?

In a couple more, 200mm on dat front is gonna be right in the sweet spot. For what, not sure, but definitely sweet.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
agreed; but isn't the "new geo" comedically slack compared to just a few years ago?

In a couple more, 200mm on dat front is gonna be right in the sweet spot. For what, not sure, but definitely sweet.
I think you could 200m fork if you swapped the 29er front wheel with a 27.5. Then 180-200 might not be crazy though the 40mm difference in travel between the 2 wheels may feel weird. But 200mm with a 29er may result in a 59 or 60 degree HA which I dont think we've seen maybe outside of a josh bender rig.

Reactions: w_b

THATmanMANNY

The OG status is definitely underrated. Majority would probably not take that to the limit. I have more fun at parks with single crown.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think you could 200m fork if you swapped the 29er front wheel with a 27.5. Then 180-200 might not be crazy though the 40mm difference in travel between the 2 wheels may feel weird. But 200mm with a 29er may result in a 59 or 60 degree HA which I dont think we've seen maybe outside of a josh bender rig.
Don't forget a duel crown forks AC height is much lower than a single crown fork

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
At 200 id say just get a dh bike . My current bike park slayer is an evil insurgent 150 rear with a 180 boxxer and it feels awesome. Handlebar height feels similar to the 160 forks I've always used on this frame .

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
At 200 id say just get a dh bike . My current bike park slayer is an evil insurgent 150 rear with a 180 boxxer and it feels awesome. Handlebar height feels similar to the 160 forks I've always used on this frame .
Yeah I would. Not sure what I'm getting for spring but I need something for creek because I rode a 150mm bike there every day last year and some trails did not feel safe with my sad skills.

Top Bottom