New Somerset/Morris County Rider

How's it going? I'm new to mountain biking and looking to get started at Lewis Morris, Six Mile Run, and anywhere else you all recommend. I grew up biking in the woods and streams behind my house, but no formal biking experience to speak of. Have backcountry snowboarded for the last decade+, and spent the winter in Montana where everyone wouldn't stop talking about how great the mountain biking was - hence my decision to get a bike. Anyway, looking for a group of newbies/patient riders to head out with, or anyone who's looking for a good laugh.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Welcome! Lots of good riding to be had in NJ. Lew Mo and 6MR are great places to start. There’s a Weds evening ride out of Lew Mo every week where you can meet lots of good peeps. NJ ain’t Montana but it’s plenty good. Plus no grizzlies. 😉

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome! What they said. And soon there may be more group rides with all levels of riding.

Welcome! Lots of good riding to be had in NJ. Lew Mo and 6MR are great places to start. There’s a Weds evening ride out of Lew Mo every week where you can meet lots of good peeps. NJ ain’t Montana but it’s plenty good. Plus no grizzlies. 😉
Looks like I know where I'll be on Wednesday night!
Welcome Herr Barbarossa! The Tourne is another good spot to get your pedals spinning. 🚲👍
Thanks for the suggestion, definitely adding it to the list! Any recommendations for a beginner trail loop at the Tourne?

Excited to get started mountain biking. Are there any biking apps (Trailforks, MTB project, Strava, etc) that you've found have the best trail coverage around here?

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome to the board @RedbeardRider I can't give guidance on Tourne, but if you're up for a slow ride around Hartshorne or Huber Woods, and even Allaire State Park, reach out to me. We can make it happen. But only if you do in fact have a red beard. Or you ride with a pirate helmet. :p

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like I know where I'll be on Wednesday night!

Thanks for the suggestion, definitely adding it to the list! Any recommendations for a beginner trail loop at the Tourne?

Excited to get started mountain biking. Are there any biking apps (Trailforks, MTB project, Strava, etc) that you've found have the best trail coverage around here?
Tourne is pretty easy, the red trail circles the place and there’s offshoots. It gets crowded with hikers so early or late is often better. If you want a tour one day after work let me know.

jklett

Pirates wear helmets?
9c1dcb1337fcb993f78a61195b15ed4a.jpg

Closest thing I could find.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
welcome!

there's weekly wednesday rides at lew mo if you're interested... and a tuesday beginner ride at six mile (which may become a fairly regular ride)

also check out this thread... which i'll be updating more regularly in 2021 now that rides and races are actually happening again:

Top Bottom