New Snowboard: Wax? or no?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
After 23 years of Burton snowboards, I've just switched camps to a Ride Yukon. Reason is I run a rear cant plate and the new ICS (Channel) system from Burton doesn't support this set up. The Ride is 4X2/4X4. My prior board is 13 years old and, as far I remember, all Burtons came pre-waxed and tuned, ready to ride.

The Ride, however, doesn't seem to come with wax. Can't really tell. If it is, it's an awfully fine coat. I could call the online shop I bought it from, but it's night time out west now. Does anyone know if boards usually come pre-waxed anymore?

Thanks

ellbiddy

Not sure how you boarders are, but I hot scrape all my skis a few times and then apply the day wax.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
After 23 years of Burton snowboards, I've just switched camps to a Ride Yukon. Reason is I run a rear cant plate and the new ICS (Channel) system from Burton doesn't support this set up. The Ride is 4X2/4X4. My prior board is 13 years old and, as far I remember, all Burtons came pre-waxed and tuned, ready to ride.

The Ride, however, doesn't seem to come with wax. Can't really tell. If it is, it's an awfully fine coat. I could call the online shop I bought it from, but it's night time out west now. Does anyone know if boards usually come pre-waxed anymore?

Thanks

They make a cant bed for EST:

http://www.snowboardconnection.com/...en's Cantbed GREY&CatID=13&PID=72458&LinkID=1

I don't even own any Burton EST bindings or boards but on a recent trip I had 4 days to demo this setup. I am sold.

On the wax thing. I would still always wax since the factory wax is a micro layer that is buffed smooth. Add another layer for the hell of is. If your season is over add a ton of way and don't scrape it. This will keep your base and edges in better shape for next fall.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After 23 years of Burton snowboards...

Thanks

holy hell, you're in the same decade of riders as me. i haven't given up on burton yet though. riding a 164 custom LE from a few years back. ostrich skin. buttery.

anyway, i've never waxed a board out of the gate, ever. after about 10 or so rides, or when i feel it start to drag, i'll get it tuned. please note, your results may vary. :)

Robin

The board should have a factory coat of wax when you purchased it.

If you are new to waxing, I wouldn't do it on a new board - it is easy to scorch/damage the bottom if the wax/iron are too hot.

They do make wax that comes like a deodorant stick, which is easy to apply/will do the trick for a day...

ellbiddy

hot wax > anything, buy an iron and learn how to do it!

:confused::confused:

Hot scraping is applying the wax with an iron, just not letting it cool and scraping it. Prevents dry bases (as well as cleaning them out). Then you properly hot wax the skis with the day wax.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Thanks folks...I checked a bit more this eve and there is indeed a very thin layer of wax. I have two more days left to board this season so I'll ride it as is, then put a fresh coat on before storing it.

jdog, thanks for the info on the cant beds...however I should have clarified that I ride Burton Torque 3-strap bindings, and also have a set of plate bindings, neither of which Burton makes anymore. I'm more of a carver, and the two strap bindings don't cut it for me. Burton gave up on the whole alpine/carving scene a while back. Unfortunately, getting an old 3D or 4X4 cant plate onto an ICS board is a no-go, which in turn nixes my bindings :mad:

Shame, though...as I think the ICS system gives MUCH more latitude for stances...I prefer an 18/19" stance between feet (which I can get on my 3D Supermodel, but the 4X2 Ride has a 20/21" stance)...guess I'm going to have to adapt.

Jake, I hear you. Remember the days when most places didn't allow boarding, and those that did required that you be certified (for an extra fee of course) before you could even buy a lift ticket? I also remember an article from a 1987 issue of People magazine that my boss showed me at the time, which said this new "sport" was nothing but a passing fad. LOL

Can't WAIT to get back on the dirt though !!

PlayAllDay

20 years here and mostly on Gnu's - got a new board this year after 4-5 years on a Salomon and Gnu's always been great for me. Magna traction and banana technology are amazing. Yes, pre-waxed but I wax often (twss).

Eileen

I demoed a Burton Feelgood ES with the ICS and I was sold by the end of the day. What a great binding system!!! When I got my new Burton I waxed it before it saw snow. I can't stand to ride a board that isn't tuned.

don

Congrats on the new board. The new stuff, IMO is pretty great. Way better than the Burton Backhill, Avalance and Kemper I started with and even better than the Burton's I rode about 10 years ago.

The new binding are incredible too. Sounds like you're pretty stoked on the 3 strap deals you have but I think some of the new bindings out there would have made you happy too (FWIW, I've heard great things about Burton's ICS bindings). I just got some Rome Targa's last season and they were a huge jump from some 5 year old Burton ElHabana's I had before. Tons of setup adjustments and with the toe caps you can get a stiff or loose feel or something in between. With the Rome's I immediately felt ultra connected to the board but could also flex enough to bone out grabs.

I hear what you are saying about carving but I think the new stuff gives you more options. The wider stance gets you lower/stronger and I think the ability to ride switch gives riding a snowboard even another layer of radness. As far as carving, last week with spring conditions I was laying it down toe-side carvers dragging my rear hand. That was after riding a run thru the bumps, a few small grinds, a bunch of jumps, and hitting all the blues swtich stance. I think laid down Euro carves are treats but with the modern equipment you can come very close without needing ski equipment.

don

20 years here and mostly on Gnu's - got a new board this year after 4-5 years on a Salomon and Gnu's always been great for me. Magna traction and banana technology are amazing. Yes, pre-waxed but I wax often (twss).

Next year I think I'll jump to a Mervin board. The day I demo'd a Magna board last year was a packed pow day and anything would have carved well but that Magna makes sense on a typical east coast scratchy day. I love the snap of a positive camber board but heard the banana works well too.

RootDKJ

Wax it. With these warmer temps, the snow will be very grabby with just an all temperature factory wax. Use a nice soft wax like Toko S3 Yellow or Racewax.com Red/Universal.

PlayAllDay

Next year I think I'll jump to a Mervin board. The day I demo'd a Magna board last year was a packed pow day and anything would have carved well but that Magna makes sense on a typical east coast scratchy day. I love the snap of a positive camber board but heard the banana works well too.

Also, banana technology is great in powder- you don't have to lean back - just float right through it. As for bindings, huge fan of Ride lately.

jdgang

icebiker I have been riding burton boards for a long time now...starting out with air 5.1 with three strap bindings and moved up to race plates/factory primes. I love to carve and while soft boots can never give you the feeling of plates, they have come a long way. ICS (which I have not used) does come with cant beds and did you try the Driver X's? Those boots are almost as stiff as my reactors. I myself have been riding 21/9 19 inch stance for the longest time. But over the last two year I have found myself going wider and more duck. Now I am 15/-9 and a 21.5 and love it. Until today I was going to get an new ICS board for next year but then I found out that burton close their Vermont factory and is moving all production overseas. As for the wax I usually do mine every couple of times out or if the temp changes alot...

Top Bottom