New rider needs a new ride...

J

Jp78558

A month or so ago I came across my fathers old ride, nothing serious, a decade old Columbia Mountainair and started riding a bit. I live within a mile of Assunpink Wildlife Area so Ive been exploring some trails around there. I know its not particularly great but again just exploring the sport.

Ive been having some fun and need to know more about everything related to biking. This seems like the place to be. So Im looking to make a purchase for my own ride so I can get out on some nice rides and really start grindin...

I realize thousands of $$$ can be spent on the sweetest of rides... For the time being Im looking to spend under $400 for all supplies (ride, helmet, whatever else you all suggest)

If I put enough time/miles between over the next 10-12 months I will have no problem upgrading to a more serious (expensive) ride. This is really just a test my desire...

So in the area 250-350 for a bike is what Im looking to do, hardtail/full or brands, styles anything you got! If anyone has any suggestions for a guy so new, he's rideless, Id appreciate it.

Im looking forward to getting it in with you all and having some fun... Thanks

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Howdy!

Welcome to the wonderful world of mtb'ing!

At $350, or so, it is a bit tough if you're thinking new. I see you're only about 17 miles, or so, from Halter's in Monmouth Jct. Halter's is a Giant dealer and Giant seems to have the widest selection of mtn (ish?) bikes in that price range. Stop by, or give jdog (aka Jason) a call and see what he can recommend.

You could probably get into a decent used Specialized Hardrock or Rockhopper, Trek 4500, etc. in that price range...something that was $600-700-ish new. Of course, you'd then have to find it in the right size, condition, and/or do the e-bay thing.

If you're a true noob it wouldn't hurt to have a know-it-all (;)) like jdog in your corner, though.

Regards.
Tim

Last edited:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
$350 just isn't a lot for a bike. One thing to consider is that you may not like biking as much riding a department store bike as you would riding a nice ride. Another is that in the world of eBay and online classifieds, you never have to worry about taking a huge hit. Drop $1500 on a bike and if you don't like it, you can always sell it for most of what you paid.

Head to your local bike shops and chat with guys there. If you're a decent height, a 29er hardtail may be a good idea to help keep cost down. I know Campmor had an SE 29er for like $500.

clutch

[...].

I realize thousands of $$$ can be spent on the sweetest of rides... For the time being Im looking to spend under $400 for all supplies (ride, helmet, whatever else you all suggest)

If I put enough time/miles between over the next 10-12 months I will have no problem upgrading to a more serious (expensive) ride. This is really just a test my desire...

So in the area 250-350 for a bike is what Im looking to do, hardtail/full or brands, styles anything you got! If anyone has any suggestions for a guy so new, he's rideless, Id appreciate it.

For 250-350 you're looking for a used bike. I'd recommend checking ebay, craigslist, mtbr, and the classifieds here on this site for a used bike within driving distance (saves on shipping and you can check the bike for fit) Try to stick with the entry level models of reputable bike makers like trek, specialized, gt, haro, fischer, etc...

Maybe Keroberos still has that 2007 GT Avalance 1.0 Disc available:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6525

Liv2Ride

What size frame you ride? I have a 2008 16" Trek 4300 Disk sitting in my garage having not been rode on since I picked up my new$$$ bike(08 Stumpy) about 2 months ago.If this interests you PM me,I'd unload it for 300$.

BiknBen

The money you have will only get you a new Columbia. Keep riding what you have and save your money until you can afford something worthwhile.

Welcome to the site.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
A month or so ago I came across my fathers old ride, nothing serious, a decade old Columbia Mountainair and started riding a bit. I live within a mile of Assunpink Wildlife Area so Ive been exploring some trails around there. I know its not particularly great but again just exploring the sport.

Ive been having some fun and need to know more about everything related to biking. This seems like the place to be. So Im looking to make a purchase for my own ride so I can get out on some nice rides and really start grindin...

I see a lot of people recommending an ebay purchase -- just be wary that, unless you know how to set up a bike, you are going to have to get the bike serviced at a shop. Don't just slap it together without the correct tools. I know someone who was riding around with a fork on backwards for quite a while until we corrected the problem for him.

Since you are new to the sport, check out the upcoming JORBA Mountain Bike Festival in North Jersey on September 13th. Should be a great time and there will be guided rides in three of the state parks up here. Here's the link:
www.bikefest.jorba.org

Take care.

J

Jp78558

Thanks Thanks...

What all these responses made me realize is that I might as well spend the extra cash now bc it will be worth it. I have the money so I may as well take it serious to start.

I will check out Halters his weekend and keep everyone updated on what I decide to purchase.

Besides bike... Any supplies people seem to always keep on them. I figure a bike tool, camelback for water, and helmet I should survive...

Lookng forward to catching up with everyone out on the trails

idbrian

Crotch Rot
definitely gloves.

how tall are you?

did you check out the marketplace section of this forum?

Last edited:

MST.ESQ

It is good that you are going to a LBS (local bike shop) for a first-time bike. I almost went the internet/craigslist route but did not know anything about mountainbikes at the time. Knowing what I know now - I would have made a mistake. I went to Marty's and they set me up with the perfect ride for the money (a left-over Trek 4500) and did not try to pry me from my budget. I guess they knew I would appreciate the good advice and come back when the bug hit hard... Only problem - the entry-level bike they sold me is damn near bulletproof so it is hard to justify a new bike until this one wears out... :mad:

For what its worth - I considered the Trek 4500 and Specialized HardRock and Haro seems to have some good buys out there on entry-level bikes...

Good luck and make sure to check the "Travelling Hooligan" ride series thread for some fun group rides...

J

Jp78558

J from Halters reached out and thinks the Giant Yukon is a good intro and one he usually recommends.

I will definitely be checking out the shop and spending much time on this site trying to gain as much advice as possible about all aspects of riding.

Thanks to everyone and Ill update you all when I finally make a move!

Robson

I would recommend bikesdirect.com if you not afraid to do some assembly. Good bikes for great price.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The biggest issue that I have with any Internet bike companies is what happens if you need to get something fixed?
I got my bike from my LBS and so far I have had it back a couple of times for adjustments and such at no charge.
plus I went and was able to ride a few different sizes and models to find what felt good the worst thing that you can do is get a bike that doesn't fit you right also different bike makers have different geometries in their frames so a large cannondale is not going to fit the same as a large trek or giant. of course this is just my opinion and everyone is different

Top Bottom