New/Old guy

KF2M

Hi,

Just an old guy that is new here. The wifey (who is retired) said let's get some bikes and go riding... Big mistake on her part... So we got Schwinn's. She got a Sidewinder (that'll probably never see a trail), and I got an AL Comp. Yes, I know Walmart bikes (they did get put up on a stand and got a once over after I got them home). But before anyone starts ranking on me there is a method to the madness. I am not about to go dropping bank on a nice Cannondale, or Pivot only to trash it since I haven't ridden in close to 40 years, and I'm in no shape or form ready to tackle black diamond trails. Also the Comp is no longer stock, by the end of this weekend the only thing left that is original would be the frame. It's been a long time since I wrenched on a bike (though I am quite fluent in Jeep, and MOPAR) and some of the tech has changed but it is something I enjoy (except on the side of a trail). Once I feel I'm ready then I'll move up (probably get a used Cannondale or something on Craigslist and unleash the wrenches). Last night I swapped out the old square-taper BB and upgraded to a Hollowtech BB, far cry from the old single piece crank. I couldn't wait, the box was sitting on the coffee table.. As for riding back in the day we converted our 20" bikes to what today are called BMX bikes (the OM was a Jersey City cop, and when they had bike auctions at the pound there would be several "new" bikes sitting in the garage), eventually I got into road biking (speed is king). Unfortunately life got in the way and I had to put my hobbies to the wayside.

In any event I have been riding at BBSF. I've done the Mt Misery, and Glassworks loops also just riding the dirt roads, and fire trails to get back into shape, and skill-building (also avoiding at all costs the extremely friendly Hoverflies). I hope to meet up with everyone sometime.

Welcome aboard!

Tbh- looking for a high get a pedal bike looking to have fun get an ebike. It’s a joke but maybe something you and the wife can get into. I know it has helped a few people.

Forty years no riding sounds exiciting- literally! Everything is new.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Dan, I will check those out when the time comes. Thanks for the H/U. Kalmyk, the wifey is slowly (abet very slowly) getting back into biking. She prefers asphalt/road over trails but recently she started warming up to the idea so there is hope but no matter riding is riding. Yes, almost everything is new. Quite comical the first time back in the saddle. Frank that's cool so I will not the only old fart holding up the pack lol. I will certainly be enjoying the ride. It's been a long time and I did not realize what I was missing out on. For now it will be the green/blue trails for me until I get the bike dialed in, and most importantly rebuild my skillset. Downhill looks fun but I am not ready for that just yet.

Welcome!!

I did a similar thing when I first started: bought a super low end, super heavy Trek bike. Wasn't sure I was going to stick with MTBing and it's $$$... Several bikes and a team later....

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes, BBSF is for the Brendan Byrne State Forest. Used to go out there with my old Jeep, and it is a new experience biking through sections I used to drive (or couldn't) through. Speaking of rail trails it is nice to see the ROW for the old CRRNJ being used for something other than taking up space. Both my Great Granddad, and Granddad worked for the CRRNJ back in the day. Though I would like to see some of the old RR ROW's be reactivated. But I digress.

Paul the ride is a Schwinn, but after this weekend a Schwinn in frame-only. It's a starter ride for me since I like building stuff the second batch of goodies will be arriving today (much to the wifey, and pups dismay since the pup goes nuts even when a leaf trespasses on the lawn) which include new forks, headset, handle bar, wheels, 10spd cassette w/shifter(already ditched the front derail, and swapped out the crank), and a dropper post. Busy weekend for me but worth the effort. Once I feel confident that I won't destroy an expensive frame then I'lll grab a higher end frame (like the idea of a full suspension), and move stuff over.

Hey Frug! Clint the Squint rules.. lol.. Thanks for the welcome fellow n00b.

MissJR that is pretty much my M.O. I stick my toe in to test the waters, and I fall in. Almost every hobby, or interest I ever got into always winds up becoming a job at some point. Got into cars, started working as a mechanic. Got into electronics (got my Amateur Radio license back in 1975), wound up first working on computers(if you saw Die Hard you saw some of my work), and now as a support person for communications (radio) company. Started volleying as an EMT, became a career EMT in the wonderful city of Paterson (and a private service EMT as well). Maybe when I finally retire I can work as a bike tech. The only hobby (and most expensive) so far that hasn't become a job is being a drummer. I am no Buddy Rich/Gene Krupa/Ringo Starr/Neil Peart by any stretch of the imagination though I can bang out a few Rush songs that are passable as music.

Again thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I really hope to catch everyone on the trails.

I liked Neil's solo from Rush In Rio. That was just epic. Here's a video from Neils' first Buddy Rich Tribute show that I was able to attend.

Here is a pic of my beast..
PXL_20211024_144529822.jpg

Back
Top Bottom