New Member, Looking for Beginner Trails

TimBay

@Paul H are there any somewhat easy loops or sections at HM he can hit up and develop on? Something I felt that helped me get started was riding a short loop over and over again. Learning that section helped me practice different fundamental skill and build confidence since I grew to know it so well and was a good booster for trying other sections and building up from there. I'm still noob as shit, but starting from 0 like I did can be tough, especially when you peeps live up in rock country.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@Paul H are there any somewhat easy loops or sections at HM he can hit up and develop on? Something I felt that helped me get started was riding a short loop over and over again. Learning that section helped me practice different fundamental skill and build confidence since I grew to know it so well and was a good booster for trying other sections and building up from there. I'm still noob as shit, but starting from 0 like I did can be tough, especially when you peeps live up in rock country.
Yes sir
I started from 0.... well.... I started from -5

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude. Really?
Yes. I've always seen a few dirt paths, but they were just shortcuts between the paved path. Never really look for anything since I didn't know. I rode it yesterday and noticed some trail that went off into the woods up towards Ridgewood side. I think it said white trail, maybe? Didn't have time to check it out as I had my fiance pick me up down there to go food shopping, etc.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Yes. I've always seen a few dirt paths, but they were just shortcuts between the paved path. Never really look for anything since I didn't know. I rode it yesterday and noticed some trail that went off into the woods up towards Ridgewood side. I think it said white trail, maybe? Didn't have time to check it out as I had my fiance pick me up down there to go food shopping, etc.
Ha. I thought you were joking since you ride in the area. I’m on the OOS thread so much that I just assume people are joking most of the time. There are a few miles of trails.

Mtbdog

Yes there are easy sections of HM on the west side of the mt. I have a very easy 1 mile loop right off the JVC lot, and the ride to Buttermilk Falls is very easy just 1 rock garden. Would be good practice for the rock gardens to follow. The 4 loop ride is also not bad(Junkyard, Wolf,Indians and Twisty Deer Loops) either. Anytime you want a tour feel free to ask, I'm ready!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Yes there are easy sections of HM on the west side of the mt. I have a very easy 1 mile loop right off the JVC lot, and the ride to Buttermilk Falls is very easy just 1 rock garden. Would be good practice for the rock gardens to follow. The 4 loop ride is also not bad(Junkyard, Wolf,Indians and Twisty Deer Loops) either. Anytime you want a tour feel free to ask, I'm ready!
Or... you can just take red north and back glass from the college lot
Short... but easy. Only thing would be coming down the wall but it can be walked.

TimBay

You guys should let the original poster know when your riding casual up there. I'm coming north for an OOS ride on June 9th. Not sure where, I just have it blocked off in my schedule. Could do High Mountain.

Mike628

Hey dudes, thanks for the Saddle River info. I went today on a mission to find those hidden trails. The paved path is a great workout and I did see some off-road trails, but they were mostly underwater. I’m away Mon-Wed this week, but gonna try again next weekend. I’ll post again when I’m going if any of you pros wanna give me the beginners tour! Thx and enjoy the weekend. Mike

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Hey dudes, thanks for the Saddle River info. I went today on a mission to find those hidden trails. The paved path is a great workout and I did see some off-road trails, but they were mostly underwater. I’m away Mon-Wed this week, but gonna try again next weekend. I’ll post again when I’m going if any of you pros wanna give me the beginners tour! Thx and enjoy the weekend. Mike
Mike,

I ride there some weekdays after work and sometimes a quick spin on the weekend. Should dry out by later next week.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Trails in emerson woods are fine for a short ride. There is singletrack and some jumps and you can get 25 minutes of singletrack riding loop. I wouldnt drive a half hour to get there but I can ride from my house there in 8 minutes so I ride here once or twice a week. Be warned it gets very muddy so stay away after recent rain.

The trails on the south side of the reservoir in haworth are less worthwhile. Really just for a cross bike or taking the kids out for their first dirt trail.

Top Bottom