New Member, Looking for Beginner Trails

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!

Lewis Morris is easiest as there are no rocks, but there is a fair bit of climbing. You'll get in shape pretty quickly riding there regularly.

Tourne is slightly more challenging, maybe. It has a couple of rocks, maybe less overall climbing though.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
NNJ parks... in general are not known to be the easiest but each park has easier sections
Don't be afraid to visit any park and walk any parts that you are not confident to tackle. There is no shame in hiking a bike.
We all had to start somewhere.

thegock

You may want to look through the North Jersey trails listed in the regional threads below.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
welcome!

if you're willing to travel a bit more, i can show you around lewis morris. not easy since there is a bit of climbing, but easier than a lot of the other stuff in north jersey area

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome new guy!

High Mountain is probably a good bet that's close and not as difficult. I'm up in Mahwah and the only other close stuff we have is Sterling, Ringwood, Jungle, not sure whatelse... but all of those are rocky.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Where? Lol. I saw some dirt pump track thing right off the path once.
There are no markers but if you look carefully there are trails going off the path and they are all over the place. Some just cuts in and out but other are bit more significant and lengthly.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Welcome Mike,

Yes, there are beginner friendly trails off the paved Saddle River Dunkerhook bike path. They will probably dry out soon but a little too muddy at this time. Feel free to send me a PM if you want a tour.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Welcome:)

So, you said you’re new to biking in general. Cool! It’s a great sport.

Most of the major parks have fire/access roads which vary in condition from paved to gravel to WTF, this is a road???

Riding those access roads will give you the opportunity to try running into and over rocks, roots, potholes, etc just to get used to the bike moving around under you.

Have fun!

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Top Bottom