New Invasive Species of Tick concentrated in NJ

Piston Honda

I'll do you one better. Buy the 10% concentrate at tractor supply. 1.4 oz of that 10% concentrate into a 28oz of water (I happen to use a 28oz spray bottle) and you get the same 0.5% active as in Sawyer. 32 oz of the concentrate for $16.99 gets you 5 gallons of the sawyer equivalent.

Edit I guess I'm saying the same thing as @Karate Monkey except I had the link and dilution ratio ;)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ivestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz?cm_vc=-10005
My only problem with that is the livestock version generally uses petroleum distillates, which makes clothing smell like gas. My nose is sensitive to that so YMMV.

jklett

My only problem with that is the livestock version generally uses petroleum distillates, which makes clothing smell like gas. My nose is sensitive to that so YMMV.
I'm pretty sure the type for grounds doesn't use petroleum distillate. Look for stuff for termites or yard insects. I think the brand I used was control solutions or something like that. It had dilution instructions for clothing.

Piston Honda

I'm pretty sure the type for grounds doesn't use petroleum distillate. Look for stuff for termites or yard insects. I think the brand I used was control solutions or something like that. It had dilution instructions for clothing.
Thanks I'll give that a look next time. I'm like 20 bottles deep with Sawyer so it will be a while.

wonderturtle

So someone educate me - is this stuff just useless to prevent ticks?
956EAAF8-A7ED-4C08-A957-CC80260C84FE.jpeg

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I'll do you one better. Buy the 10% concentrate at tractor supply. 1.4 oz of that 10% concentrate into a 28oz of water (I happen to use a 28oz spray bottle) and you get the same 0.5% active as in Sawyer. 32 oz of the concentrate for $16.99 gets you 5 gallons of the sawyer equivalent.

Edit I guess I'm saying the same thing as @Karate Monkey except I had the link and dilution ratio ;)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ivestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz?cm_vc=-10005
I researched this a little, this formula is different then the stuff made for humans. I bought some and decided not to use it. that being said i have a 32 bottle unopened.

Fat Trout

I researched this a little, this formula is different then the stuff made for humans. I bought some and decided not to use it. that being said i have a 32 bottle unopened.
I've done research as well and while the active is the same we should all do our own research and feel comfortable about the application and what clothes it is used on. In a perfect world the last thing id do is intentionally spray a pesticide on my clothing but it is what it is i guess. The lesser of evils.

Jbyrd13

It was a mild winter. The tick population didn't go fully dormant so it will be bad this year. I found two Lonestar ticks on my daughter this fall. Luckily they were not attached. The Lonestar tick has been found to transmit the allergy to red meat. As others have stated Permethrin spray to treat clothing and then a good insect repellent that contains 20-30% DEET are great protectors. Permethrin applied to clothing is good for about 6-washes. CDC info on preventing Tick borne illness: https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/avoid/index.html

Last edited:
Reactions: don

pygmypony

i got lyme disease in june 2013...it SUCKED

since then, i've been using DEET based sprays and doing thorough manual tick checks post rides, post shower, pre-bed, next morning, etc, etc, etc...

this thread gave me some more food for thought. seems the Permethrin treated clothing is really effective too. need to look into that.

also, i've been using DEET products that range from 25-40% DEET. they've generally been very effective at that level, and a couple of the links below suggest the same. they just indicate that more DEET = more protection time, however, 25% or more, gives you protection nonetheless.

here's a couple of helpful resources i checked out...
https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/avoid/on_people.html
https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/tick-off-most-effective-tick-repellents
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/insect-repellents.html

adogg

Ticks seem to be in full force this year. Went for a hike with the dog to Chimney Rock yesterday. Got back in the car and felt something crawling on my leg, look down and it's a tick. Got home and brushed my dog with a fine toothed flea catcher comb, got one more tick out. Spent about 20 minutes combing her to make sure I got all the spots. Went to pet my dog this morning, feel something in her fur and it's another tick. This one was barely moving so probably dog's Nexgard got it. Sucks tho. I got Lyme 8 years ago and really did not appreciate the joint pains before I got diagnosed with it.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yesterday I was winning
Today not so much
Out in deer park not feeling great, Doc calls and says you got a + lymes. Cycling the biotics for the month :thumbsdown:

jklett

Yesterday I was winning
Today not so much
Out in deer park not feeling great, Doc calls and says you got a + lymes. Cycling the biotics for the month :thumbsdown:
That really sucks, get better soon. I can't remember seeing more ticks than I have this year.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Yesterday I was winning
Today not so much

Un fucking real. You’re gonna have to stock up on probiotics to replenish the good bacteria that the antibiotics kills off.

Kielbasa and organic sauerkraut.......Silver lining?

Recover soon Matty.

phillychris498

My god, I just read through this whole forum and am now terrified.. but happily riding in northern Massachusetts now, where I’ve only found a tick on me once in my last 5 rides.

When I was in NJ earlier this spring and riding Allamuchy and Splitrock I averaged 6 ticks on my legs per ride... I’d never had more than 2 on me in one ride in previous years. Be careful

Top Bottom