New Invasive Species of Tick concentrated in NJ

Jforce

Just what we need:

As if things were not bad enough with ticks, a new invasive species from Asia has arrived in the Northeast. Get this, the new tick can reproduce a-sexually. This means the tick can basically clone themselves and reproduce without the need of the opposite sex.
The outbreak is concentrated in New Jersey, which also has the highest rates of Lyme disease in the nation.
Health experts suspect the new tick species are being spread by wild animals, such as deer.
From MSN – These invasive ticks can appear in such numbers that they drain cattle of their blood.
New Jersey residents know they need to look out for ticks. The state has one of the highest concentrations of Lyme disease in the country.
But one recent finding could lead Garden State residents to keep an even closer eye out for the bloodsuckers than normal.
Somehow, an east Asian tick that has the ability to essentially clone itself and is a noted invasive species in other parts of the world made its way to Hunterdon County.
And it wasn’t just an isolated tick. There were more than 1,000 found in the western area of New Jersey.​
The article goes on to describe how ticks would cover anyone who walked into the barn where livestock were kept. One poor sheep was covered in ticks.
More here: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/03/0...ent=2018-03-10&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

FitmanNJ

That's depressing news, but I'm glad that you brought it to our attention so we can be vigilant. Thanks.

adogg

Any recommendations on what we can do to prevent ticks attaching themselves to us? I saw the article mentioned 20% Deet applied to clothes. I wonder if there is anything extra that can be done.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is absolutely terrifying news.

I don't know how I can sleep tonight knowing that it's possible that I can reproduce without the opposite sex. I'm not ready for kids.

Seriously though, I need to move south of the Tick part of the country, north of the Killer Bee part of the country.

Any recommendations on what we can do to prevent ticks attaching themselves to us? I saw the article mentioned 20% Deet applied to clothes. I wonder if there is anything extra that can be done.

Perimithian or however it's spelled. You spray it onto your clothing and it lasts a few washes. DEET really can't be on synthetic clothes. Only issue is it's harmful to cats.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Seriously though, I need to move south of the Tick part of the country, north of the Killer Bee part of the country.
So, Spider Country?

Perimithian or however it's spelled.
Permethrin, I think? I always forget how to spell it too. The US Military did a bunch of studies on skin contact and permeability, etc because when you're the military you want to treat battle uniforms and equipment with durable repellant so that your people don't die from malaria and or also a toxic chemical. You can buy on Amazon, at REI, and a bunch of other places.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If only the government would replace the neuro chem trails with permethrin, that'd be cool.
Contrail.fourengined.arp.jpg

Or just send us up to Kindgom Trails for a week while the government napalms NJ.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lyme's has cut my last 2 MTB seasons short. Last year came at probably the most inopportune time possible.
You need to be very diligent about checking your self after being in the woods.

Karate Monkey

So, Spider Country?

Permethrin, I think? I always forget how to spell it too. The US Military did a bunch of studies on skin contact and permeability, etc because when you're the military you want to treat battle uniforms and equipment with durable repellant so that your people don't die from malaria and or also a toxic chemical. You can buy on Amazon, at REI, and a bunch of other places.

Aye, Permethrin. It's a synthetic preparation of a family of chemicals found in chrysanthemums, pyrethroids. In it's dried form, it has practically 0% toxicity to humans, but nearly instantly paralyzes biting insects of all stripes. It won't even kill you as a liquid, though it's not good--but it is super deadly to cats in liquid form--apply in a safe place, and keep it out of reach of kitties until it is dry.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Aye, Permethrin. It's a synthetic preparation of a family of chemicals found in chrysanthemums, pyrethroids. In it's dried form, it has practically 0% toxicity to humans, but nearly instantly paralyzes biting insects of all stripes. It won't even kill you as a liquid, though it's not good--but it is super deadly to cats in liquid form--apply in a safe place, and keep it out of reach of kitties until it is dry.

Thanks for the info, I've went a little crazy and bought a big highly concentrated jug of it. I'll keep it away from the kittens. If anybody wants to don some hazmat suits we can dilute a bunch!

Ian F

As unpopular as it is among mtn bikers, I saw a noticeable drop in ticks on me when I started shaving my legs.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Top Bottom