new here need advice

R

Rjcourg

Hey my name is Rob. I am new to this site, and also new to mountain biking. So new that i accually dont have a bike yet. Which is why i am posting this thread. I am looking at 3 bikes and i was hoping to get some opinions from people who are familiar with this sport and the bikes. ok well the first one on my list is the cannondale F5, second is the GT avalanche 2.0, then last would be the KHS Alite 150. I will be riding this bike to work on the road everyday but i will also be taking it to mountains and on weekend trips alot. Hopefully hit up some good trails around NJ and PA. well hope to hear some good feedback and if anyone has any other suggestions on bikes let me know what you think.

Thank you
Rob

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well, i dont know much about the bikes, but1 great tip I read on here when a similiar question was asked is this... Make sure you save some cash for gear. Shorts, gloves, helmet, shoes, camelback, etc, etc,

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hi rob, welcome to the site.

your budget is a little tight, especially after you toss in a helmet, tubes, gloves, etc. but here's a start for you. unless, of course, you don't want a 29er or a single speed. but, since you're going to be riding to work, i think a 29er could be a good choice. both bikes below could work.

haro ally single speed, msrp $655:
http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/ally_ss.php

haro ally geared (xc), msrp $875
http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/ally_xc.php

the other option is to cruise for a good, used bike. a few months ago i sold my trek ex7 for WAY less than it was worth simply b/c i wasn't riding it and wanted it to go to a good home.

but, do yourself a favor and visit an LBS. don't buy a walmart bike. there are a billion reason why you shouldn't, but only one (price) why you would.

good luck with your search.

R

Rjcourg

yea i was gonna go with a 29er. My work is only 3 miles and i accually have a trail that takes me half way so it wont be bad. ive been to all my LBS thats where i came up with those 3 bikes i listed in my first post.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
to be honest, out of all those listed, the only one that i would look at is the GT. the geometry on that bike looks to be more xc oriented. the c-dale looks a lot like a dirt jumper which isn't going to be great, but it'll due.

none of those is in the 29er world though, which i'm sure you know. you could look at the redline monocog too. again, a single speed but it's like $400 or there abouts.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/monocog-29er.html

R

Rjcourg

i was leaning toward the C-Dale F5 because around my house there is alota jumps and i use to ride BMX on the 20inch so i still wanna be able to do that, and it looks cool

warcricket

Like a Jerk
out of the three choices you gave, the f5 sits best with me. it has better specs than the gt and its not totally a jump bike.

Last edited:
R

Rjcourg

Ok ive decided im going with the C-Dale F5 im gonna pick it up thursday. Wheres the best trails around south jersey something kind of challenging??

R

Rjcourg

Ok i did pick up the cannondale F5 last week on thursday and ive been riding it to work everyday so far about 5.5 miles each way. Luckly half of my ride is down a nature trail in pemberton boro gives me a little change of senary. I was gonna go out to some trails on sun but rain stopped me so i havent really got to do anything challenging yet but soon enough i will.

Top Bottom