new guy needs to learn and get into shape

K

kmcesq

hey all, I am a NB at the whole bike thing. Have not rode since I was 14 on my BMX mongoose. Anyway, since then I have taken up smoking, drinking and chasing girls as my hobby. Well fast foward 17 years and now I am out of shape fat skinny guy. (skinny all over except the gut) I quit smoking some 8 months ago and want to use my "new lungs". I recently purchased some piece of crap dicks sporting goods ironhorse mountain bike which I think will get me started but I dont know. I went to Allaire to get a feel for the whole trail riding exeprience and I really like it but for the fact that I need to go at a very slow pace and need to catch my breath frequently. my question is what suggestions do you have to assist me in easing into trail riding and getting into shape.
I LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING SOME OF YOU AT THE NB RIDE ON TUESDAYS

B

BiscoJosh

hey all, I am a NB at the whole bike thing. Have not rode since I was 14 on my BMX mongoose. Anyway, since then I have taken up smoking, drinking and chasing girls as my hobby. Well fast foward 17 years and now I am out of shape fat skinny guy. (skinny all over except the gut) I quit smoking some 8 months ago and want to use my "new lungs". I recently purchased some piece of crap dicks sporting goods ironhorse mountain bike which I think will get me started but I dont know. I went to Allaire to get a feel for the whole trail riding exeprience and I really like it but for the fact that I need to go at a very slow pace and need to catch my breath frequently. my question is what suggestions do you have to assist me in easing into trail riding and getting into shape.
I LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING SOME OF YOU AT THE NB RIDE ON TUESDAYS

Hey man - just ride ride ride. It will def get easier. Also, I see that you have "esq" in your name. You a lawyer? I just graduated and took the ny and nj bars. lame. Anyway, if you come out to the Tuesday rides, you will LOVE IT. Lots of good people (myself included) and great riding, at a good pace.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Just ride as much as you can.

ride ride and ride...get a road bike it will bust you into shape and make you awareness go up as you do need that one the trails..but if no road bike is in your plans...just ride and hopefully MIKE243 will have this book i lent him and MEAN IRISH GUY they said it was real helpful...you know small tips on breathing and climbing, vision, body position, all sorts of good stuff...and people on the group ride will be more then willing to give pointers...just get behind a more EXP. rider and do what he/she does...i did 11miles with NJ Jess and did what i just said, i listened and followed her lead...im much better then i was b4 that one ride it put me over the hump so to speak...that was months ago...and LOTS of riding since then...good luck see you tuesday...

dualfisted

newb tips???

Ride as much as u can, road or mountain, mtb's work on the road too, so don't make the road bike seem like some necessity. U said u wanted to lose the gut and get in shape, well, that means pushing yourself harder and harder over time and improving, so set reasonable goals and try to meet them.
Also, if u enjoy mt biking, read about it, this is one of the few sports that u can learn about from reading, trail usage is a big responsibility as well as being a lot of fun, so find out the rules of the trail and the reasons these rules exist and then follow them. Reading also helps with things like riding tips to help overcome performance issues and to help u do things on a bike u may not be comfortable with or have trouble with. Reading can also help with maintaining your bike, or upgrading or buying a new bike. These guys at the big bike mags have been riding mtb's forever and they get to ride a handful of bikes ecvery month where as the average rider may only ride a handful of bikes in a lifetime. They can pick out different handling and performance characteristics in bikes that even the most experienced racer may not be able to. So, spend some nights on the interweb, or with yur hed in a book or mag learning about the sport.
Then there's the issue of the bike itself. Some department stores actually sell some bikes that ARE trailworthy, not Wal Mart or anything, but Dick's or something, up to the five hundred dollar range. The problem is, u don't know what crackhead put them together, or what. You're weight has a lot to do with whether or not u can get away with riding a four hundred dollar bike or not. Most bikes in general aren't made for people over 175 lbs, beyond that you're bike, or components of it may be prone to catastrophic failure, which is not good, hence the term catastrophic. The best way to know if you're bike is truly trailworthy is to take it to the LBS (local bike shop) and talk with the shop guru and be realistic with him as to the type of beating you're gonna dish out on yur bike and see if he feels the bike will hold for you're purposes. Many of the guys on this forum can direct u to a bike shop they trust and can probably give u the name of the honch that u should talk to. If a new bike is in yur cards, do the reading, talk with the bike guru's and come up with a price range and a number of bikes that u should test ride and figure out which one feels best to u and go with it.
I'm throwing a lot of crap at u, but really what it's all about is having FUN. If u enjoy the sport, then you'll do it more and get in better shape which is ultimately the goal. I highly recommend the beginner tuesday night ride at Allaire, very few of the riders can be considered true beginners anymore, but the pace is only as fast as the slowest rider, the breaks are plentiful and moreso if u need them, lots of good riders to get tips from and ride behind (as you've been told), and they/ we really just like to have fun and pass that fun along to new riders. There is a self torturing aspect to mt biking which kinda has to be appreciated to, but having testosterone in yur body probably makes us all accustomed to and appreciate that. Now stop reading this BS and go out and ride yur bike and have fun damnit!!!!!

RNG1

First off, great job with quitting smoking. That is the first and probably hardest thing in your recovery process so congradulations on that. Drinking, ok in moderation as in most things, however I noticed for myself that the more in shape I got with my lifestyle chang the less I cared about it. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a beer or two or a nice bottle of vino every now and then but i find myself just not thinking about it as much. As far as chasing the women well that could help you get into shape if they are faster than you:D
Seriously though, get on the bike no matter what it is and for starters maybe find a nice fairly smooth trail or paved path where you can ride non stop for an hour and just keep a steady pace and you'll find that you'll burn that gut and you'll just get stronger and you'll build a base so that the trails will be more fun. Keep at it and never give up and smile while you ride. Good luck.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
welcome aboard this is a great place when it comes to biking some of the best information can be had here along with witty conversations....all of the advice I would pass on has already been passed so I hope to see you out for the tuesday night rides....good place,good people and a good time...

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
As you have already read, ride, then ride some more. Joining us on our Tues. beginner rides could be of some help. At the very least you will probably have a good time.

B

BiscoJosh

"but the pace is only as fast as the slowest rider"

^^^ME!!! :)

idbrian

Crotch Rot
It is a long shot but there actually some decent Ironhorse bikes sold at sport stores. What kind of Ironhorse is it?

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
It is a long shot but there actually some decent Ironhorse bikes sold at sport stores. What kind of Ironhorse is it?

yes why our very own Josh rides one...

K

kmcesq

well thank you all for the advice and good wishes. I have every intention to meet some or all at those tuesday beginner rides. what do you all do when the weather gets nippy?

K

kmcesq

Hey man - just ride ride ride. It will def get easier. Also, I see that you have "esq" in your name. You a lawyer? I just graduated and took the ny and nj bars. lame. Anyway, if you come out to the Tuesday rides, you will LOVE IT. Lots of good people (myself included) and great riding, at a good pace.

yes i am a lawyer in NYC. Good luck with the exams. Did you find a job yet? if you have questions, please feel free to ask.

dualfisted

lawyers????????

I'm just stating for the record that I cannot be held accountable for any statements made or actions taken whilst on my bike, my legs and lungs get all the blood/ oxygen and my brain doesn't function..... That's my disclaimer lest any of u cats are feeling letigious, haha. Tuesday night ride comin' up, woo hoo

B

BiscoJosh

yes i am a lawyer in NYC. Good luck with the exams. Did you find a job yet? if you have questions, please feel free to ask.

exams are over. dont find out till november. clerking in jersey city for this year. no clue where ill end up after that.

Top Bottom