New Guy- Central NJ

joshmdean

Hey everyone! I just came across the forum and have enjoyed reading through the posts. I figured it was time to introduce myself and ask a question.

I live right in-between Sourlands and Six Mile and have been riding on and off (mostly off) for 25 years on a Fuji full suspension bike I bought when I was 15. Since I have more time now that the kids are older, I planned on getting a new bike in September when I turn 40.

Given the bike rush of 2020, can any of the shop owners/workers offer any advice on how to get a bike in the next few months? Are there waiting lists? Demos to ride?

Thanks! Glad to be here.

JD

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Welcome and do you know which bike you want or are you just starting to get a feel for it?

kidzach

Consider buying used. There have been a lot of people buying bikes that will most likely be looking to sell.

joshmdean

Welcome and do you know which bike you want or are you just starting to get a feel for it?

I have just been researching online but that is more for pricing and reviews as I do not fully understand travel, geometry, and components. I can only narrow it down as far as looking to spend ~$2,000 and leaning towards a hardtail.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I have just been researching online but that is more for pricing and reviews as I do not fully understand travel, geometry, and components. I can only narrow it down as far as looking to spend ~$2,000 and leaning towards a hardtail.
I thought that the LBS dudes have said that the sub $1k bikes are sold out but have some stock on more expensive bikes. Also, end of July is when they are expecting new inventory... i think... so your timing might work. But definitely email them (calling might not be a good option as there seems to be a broken RD pandemic going around and they are pretty busy) and see what their situation is.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hey everyone! I just came across the forum and have enjoyed reading through the posts. I figured it was time to introduce myself and ask a question.

I live right in-between Sourlands and Six Mile and have been riding on and off (mostly off) for 25 years on a Fuji full suspension bike I bought when I was 15. Since I have more time now that the kids are older, I planned on getting a new bike in September when I turn 40.

Given the bike rush of 2020, can any of the shop owners/workers offer any advice on how to get a bike in the next few months? Are there waiting lists? Demos to ride?

Thanks! Glad to be here.

JD

Sounds like you live in my hood. I’m in Hillsborough off Hillsborough Road. It’s a great spot to be. Hills and rocks on one side, flats and smooth flow on the other. Welcome aboard.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome!!! great place to live -

it is def upgrade time! will see ya at the next group ride!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
The advances in MTB’s since you got the fuji FS are astounding. 2bills gets you a nice HardTail that you will no doubt fall in love with... just running the wider tires (almost anything you get these days at that price point will be tubeless ready) set up tubeless Alone will bring a smile to your face.

If i can offer one bit of advice, you can make yourself crazy chasing the “perfect purchase”.... don’t. There are no bikes that any of the LBS’s mentioned on the forum will sell you that won’t be a phenomenal improvement over the Fuji. My advice is to call them up when you’re ready to pull the trigger (mentally and $$$$ wise) and tell them exactly what trails you ride, what trails you are looking to ride (if different) and honestly evaluate your ability and what your budget is. Then, please...please listen to them.

good luck with the journey.... and post up with the outcome!!!!

Dan

Last edited:

joshmdean

The advances in MTB’s since you got the fuji FS are astounding. 2bills gets you a nice HardTail that you will no doubt fall in love with... just running the wider tires (almost anything you get these days at that price point will be tubeless ready) set up tubeless Alone will bring a smile to your face.

If i can offer one bit of advice, you can make yourself crazy chasing the “perfect purchase”.... don’t. There are no bikes that any of the LBS’s mentioned on the forum will sell you that won’t be a phenomenal improvement over the Fugi. My advice is to call them up when you’re ready to pull the trigger (mentally and $$$$ wise) and tell them exactly what trails you ride, what trails you are looking to ride (if different) and honestly evaluate your ability and what your budget is. Then, please...please listen to them.

good luck with the journey.... and post up with the outcome!!!!

Dan

Solid advice and exactly what I plan on doing!

cfrone1

Shop: Pops Bike Shop
Shop Keep
We just got word that our backorder for 2021 Giant Stance models came in and should ship today/tomorrow. If looking for $1,550 duals, we have size runs coming in both 27.5 and 29er by the weekend. Stop in the Somerville shop to order...

joshmdean

We just got word that our backorder for 2021 Giant Stance models came in and should ship today/tomorrow. If looking for $1,550 duals, we have size runs coming in both 27.5 and 29er by the weekend. Stop in the Somerville shop to order...

Thanks. A little early for me to make a purchase but good to know there are bikes around. The Stance is one of the bikes I was looking at.

joshmdean

Any chance there are any Stances or Trance still available?

I seem to have weakened my wife to the "Just go get a bike so you stop talking about it phase"

cfrone1

Shop: Pops Bike Shop
Shop Keep
Any chance there are any Stances or Trance still available?

I seem to have weakened my wife to the "Just go get a bike so you stop talking about it phase"
We have Stances right now..Just received word a few Trances are shipping today, should see them Friday or Monday.

Top Bottom