New Green Trail Section at Lew Mo

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
As per prior threads, one of the first steps in revamping the Lew Mo network is a reroute of the northern section of the green trail. This section is now complete and will be opened this weekend. Details below. The new section is longer and twistier than the legacy section and also avoids the root infested mess just before the bridge. Thanks for all who helped with this trail!

2D421AD1-B244-492C-A409-F08DEF55F6CD.jpeg

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
saw the work on wednesday's ride (well... we rode past it)... can't wait to check it out :)

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is bittersweet.

Glad there's a new trail. But I also liked every running race I did there coming down that to-be-removed trail.

argyle

I’m so glad this trail map was posted here this morning. I headed out there, checked mtbnj again real quick, saw the map and figured out where it was. Never rode that area before since I usually stay away from the beach side.

It’s pretty nice and will be even better the more people ride it.

This gives me such hope for even more trails. Nice JOrBa!

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode the new section yesterday. (All the tape was down so I figured it was ok.) Very nice! Probably the only thing in Lewis Morris without roots! I'd love to see the current trails cleaned up a bit... Hoping this means lots of good things for the rest of the park.

Are they closing the old green section or just making it hiking only with the new section biking only?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Are they closing the old green section or just making it hiking only with the new section biking only?
Yep Lew Mo has way too many shallow rooted beech trees! The old section down to the bridge will be closed but there is more to come. The new trail will eventually link to a brand new trail to be built on the east side of the park near Doe Meadow. Over the course of the next 5 years you’ll also see most of the network revamped and replaced, with trails that follow the contour lines instead of fall lines. This will reduce the likelihood of erosion which is what causes the roots to be exposed.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yep Lew Mo has way too many shallow rooted beech trees! The old section down to the bridge will be closed but there is more to come. The new trail will eventually link to a brand new trail to be built on the east side of the park near Doe Meadow. Over the course of the next 5 years you’ll also see most of the network revamped and replaced, with trails that follow the contour lines instead of fall lines. This will reduce the likelihood of erosion which is what causes the roots to be exposed.
Liked, then unliked, so I could like it again...

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yep as much as I liked hitting that too, the new trail is a work of art. Perfectly pitched, follows the contours, effortless flow. I take no credit for it. It’s all MCPC and volunteers. If this first section is an indication of things to come, Lew Mo will be amazing.
Ive been off the bike for a while and have been thinking about hitting lewmo. Need to ease back into it. Can't wait to see the new stuff!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yep as much as I liked hitting that too, the new trail is a work of art. Perfectly pitched, follows the contours, effortless flow. I take no credit for it. It’s all MCPC and volunteers. If this first section is an indication of things to come, Lew Mo will be amazing.

Agreed. The park will benefit from more trails like this.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions