New Fat Tires ?

one piece crank

Thinking about my next set of fat tires. I’ve got the stock Ground Control 4.6’s on my Fatboy, which are more like 4.3” actual. I’d like my next set to be true 4.8’s - just alitel more volume. From what I gather on the web, this is looking like Bud, Lou, Vee XL, Maxxis Colossus. Bud and Lou were old-school and completely out of consideration until the recent introduction of true tubeless versions. While I care what a tire weighs, I really don't as it honestly doesn't affect my riding style or distances.

So, short of trying four different tires, does anyone have a strong 4.8” tire recommendation?

FitmanNJ

I'll throw-in a vote for Bud & Lou. It's a little tricky, but even the older, non-tubeless ready versions can be mounted tubeless, and I've been pleased with their durability and performance with regard to what they were designed to do (overall traction, cushion, float on snow). You don't buy them to maximize your speed, though.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The HuDu 4.8 is the most popular snow tire out. Of the 85 people at the ITI this year, 83 of them had them. All of the top 10 were on them. Or 9.5 being that I run a Dilli5 on the rear.

one piece crank

Thanks for the input. I'd really like to try 4-5 different tires, but since that's not going to happen ($$), I may start with a new front tire.

one piece crank

Right now I’ve only identified that I want more volume. I can see the advantage of the HuDu’s lower rolling resistance, so I need to decide if I want more steering input than my GC‘s currently provide (aka Bud).

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have had good luck with my jumbo Jim's
Probably not the best snow but I went with them for the WW effect. EXO model not pacestar as there is big difference in weight. I have a set of minions with very little time on them, those are not WW tires. @bonefishjake was once interested but he has not made a serious pick up.

one piece crank

I'm going with a new "tubeless" Bud for the front, and assuming I like it, I'll swap the less worn and reversed GC to the rear. At the same time I'll be able to tell if I can fit a Bud/Lou-sized tire in the rear.

one piece crank

I measured my old and new tires at 10psi on 80mm rims.

Gound Control :
- 112mm knob width
- 108mm casing width

The new Surly tubeless Bud after installation:
- 116mm knob width
- 116mm casing width

The big takeaway is the Bud installed on the same wheel is over 1/2-inch taller than a Ground Control. So, while my rim may prevent full 4.8” width, the volume gained in height was readily apparent when setting pressure and the test run around the yard. I’ll test it fully this week.

one piece crank

With a week of riding I’m really happy with the new tubeless Bud. Internet research says its ~100grams heavier, but in reality it feels like less resistance and rolls better (than the GC). Even with more volume and lower pressure there is no self-steer and they corner great on trail.

Bud would probably be an excellent rolling rear tire, but now I’m wondering how much slower the new tubeless Lou would feel?

FitmanNJ

I'm going with a new "tubeless" Bud for the front, and assuming I like it, I'll swap the less worn and reversed GC to the rear. At the same time I'll be able to tell if I can fit a Bud/Lou-sized tire in the rear.
On my 2015 Fatboy, I had Lou on a 90mm rim and it cleared the stays fine. I’d occasionally hear a slight chain rub when on the big cassette ring — minor, though, and not enough to go to another tire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom