New Dropper Post Creaking

Cassinonorth

Ordered a new dropper last week after my Command Post shit the bed. Looked up the specs for my frame, 30.9...cool. Order the new dropper and it's 31.6. No worries, I have a shim in my parts bin. Installed to torque spec, no play in the seat post at all. Take a ride yesterday...creaking like crazy.

Is there any option beyond trying to exchange it for the right size post?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looked up the specs for my frame, 30.9...cool. Order the new dropper and it's 31.6. No worries, I have a shim in my parts bin.
200w.gif

Also... maybe lube the pole, hot the hole?
bjjephgbdhz.jpeg

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can you have somebody sit on the bike and move around so you can listen and source the noise? It could be the seat rails too, which are often missed. Lube em up.

Shims aren't the best, especially on droppers. Definitely can see more possibility for noise.

Cassinonorth

Can you have somebody sit on the bike and move around so you can listen and source the noise? It could be the seat rails too, which are often missed. Lube em up.

Shims aren't the best, especially on droppers. Definitely can see more possibility for noise.

Had that thought as well. Going to pull it tonight, regrease it (friction paste since it's a carbon frame, right?), tighten everything else to spec and see where that takes me. If it doesn't go away I'll just sell it or see if they'll exchange it since it can pass for new.

serviceguy

I'm assuming the shim is alloy, so if the frame is carbon I would go with carbon paste outside the shim and anti-seize inside the shim, if the frame is alloy anti-seize on both sides.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Reached out to see what they'd say, no issue even with me missing the original box. Guess we'll never find out if this issue could've been solved.

with this kind of response i think you need to share which post it was ;)

serviceguy

PNW Loam...the one ride on it I much preferred it to the Command Post.

I'll be replacing it with the same...they don't have the 31.9 in 170 so I'll be probably going 200mm and using their micro adjustment to drop it to a 175mm dropper.
Yep, standard PNW procedure, send it back we’ll send you a replacement. I believe now it’s for the lifetime of the dropper post. Not sure if it’s worth the mark up from the equivalent Tranz-X but it’s nice enough for sure. And they are always great to deal with.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
PNW Loam...the one ride on it I much preferred it to the Command Post.

i like my pnw too. The lever is awesome.
I had a command post on an old bike. It was definitely one of the most reliable posts I’ve had. But it started leaking air and that was that.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yep, standard PNW procedure, send it back we’ll send you a replacement. I believe now it’s for the lifetime of the dropper post. Not sure if it’s worth the mark up from the equivalent Tranz-X but it’s nice enough for sure. And they are always great to deal with.
Loam says 3 years

Top Bottom