New Birthday goodies - iPhone GPS related

A

Andrew16v

Alot of haters on here, and thats fine. I expected it. Luke, I do bitch about the economey, the fact that people took on more debt that they could handle and spent money they didn't have. Thanks to them my house is worth 30g's less. I for one am not in that position, I can and will pay that ludicris amount of money for the plan because it make my life that much better. I pay 130 a month, that includes 700 min, 200 text's for me and 200 text for my wife, and insurance on her phone. Which personaly I don't think its so bad. Infact one could probably all the iPhone users spending all our money on this phone might single handedly save the economy. I certianly would never do that. If you feel so inclined to punch me in the face you are more than welcome to try. . . that be pretty lame tho.

I posted these pic to share with people that might appreciate them. If you don't thats fine. Cheers to you.

[/rant]

Thank Manny I appreciate you comment!

If anyone actually does care about the strength of it, I was able to go for a short 15 min ride today after work and I tried to put it through its paces. Took a couple of small jumps, nothing crazy and some rought terrian, It didn't eve come close to falling off.

syadasti

Wet Rag
you can't say that your pearl is better... the iphone users pay that $50 premium for the programs, the apps, music stuff, the games, the browsing, bigger screen, etc etc...

The Pearl is much better for my needs and I was able to do that because RIM has a much more diverse flexible product offering. I had a 3G reserved for launch by passed on it when ATT/Apple wanted even more for a device that has too many limitations.

RIM's products are better. They come in more form factors and carriers to fit the users exact needs. Their security is better than most other wireless devices as government and business use have been its core market for almost ten years now.

RIM's BIS (consumer/small business) and BES (corporate) emails solutions are best and Apple/the iPhone still lacks any push notification which Apple promised and still can't deliver.

The RIM platform has been completely rock solid (I've been using them at work since 03 in addition to Palm, WM, and OSX smartphone I've also supported) until a few hiccups due to the big growth in consumer popularity the last year or so though I've seen more infrastructure problems with ATT data network than RIM based problems - that's why we stopped using ATT. This is reality in a huge sample of about 100 smartphone users and hundreds of lines of cell service used all across the US and the world with all the major providers, not clueless fanboy end-users who have their single statistically insignificant sample.

You've always have the ability to use third party apps for anything on the BB, end users did not have to push RIM to allow it - its always been that way and no jailbreaking was never needed. This means so you can usually get what you are looking for even if RIM's official applications aren't appealing to you. For example, Opera Mini works just as well as Safari does on the iPhone. Apple took years to get to the point where they'll let third party browsers or auto GPS apps in their app store.

RIM has been around longer and its what companies use to get the job done in the real world, not the latest fad toy. Its a mature polished product. The President pushed for and now uses a smartphone, a blackberry, not a iPhone, to finally bring his office some modern technology.

RIM has always been at the front of technology too. RIM has had a 3G BB over over three years now starting with the 7250 on Verizon's EVDO network in the US.

If I wanted more battery life I've always had the option to swap my battery if I carried a spare or buy an extended battery. On my Pearl if I wanted more memory I just buy a cheap microSD card to suit my needs and I can swap them any time I like. I got an 8GB Pearl for $25 (phone was free, 8GB microSD card was $25). I can upgrade to 16GB if wanted or larger when the format has bigger capacities. RIM gives the users the key important features and flexibility they need, they don't hold them back to make a profit and force an upgrade.

Apple likes to claim they are all that, but they still can't beat Nokia or RIM. Nokia is by far the biggest in smartphone sales:

smartphonesales.gif

Last edited:

jontotman

I posted these pic to share with people that might appreciate them. If you don't thats fine. Cheers to you.
Thank Manny I appreciate you comment!
If anyone actually does care about the strength of it, I was able to go for a short 15 min ride today after work and I tried to put it through its paces. Took a couple of small jumps, nothing crazy and some rought terrian, It didn't eve come close to falling off.

Andrew thanks for posting it, I'm actually interested on the case and the handle bar mount and wondering where you got it?

A

Andrew16v

Man, I wish this didn't have to turn into a pissing match "mine is better than your's" everyone's phone suits them in their own way. I won't try to push anyone into anything. I have always been the techno-geek getting the new phones every year (for usually pennies on the dollar), and trying to keep up on all the new gadgits (damn near impossible). For me, my first iPhone was paid for by holiday giftcards to ATT and the sale of my previous phone on ebay, I rmeember I paid exactly 37 dollars for the first one out of my own pocket. Then I got my 3g for $299 by renewing my contract (been with the company 8 yrs now, never had an issue in MY area). I bought that 3g because I was able to get $454 for my old mint cond. jailbroken iphone on ebay!! I actually made out on that deal!

It took me a while to figure out what case I wanted. I ended up siding with the Otterbox "defender series" which retails for $50, it had alooooottttt of great reviews. The mount is called the Arkon universal smart phone mount, which retails for $20. Buy.com had the best deal I could find. The case is $34.24 w/free shipping, the mount was $8.99 and shipping was $7.47. So all said and done the whole package was $50 and change to my door. Not bad if you ask me.

They're are videos of an similar mount on youtube, so that way you can see how it works. The side arms clamp in, you can hear it clicking as it gets tight. There is a button on the lower side that you push to release the clamp. The one on youtube, I couldn't find under $16, plus I was concerned with the side clams hitting the volume buttons. The Arkon has little half moons on the top of the side arms. Which in the end didn't matter because the volume buttons are a good 1.5" above the arms. If I designed it, I would do somethings differently but, it seems like it will be just fine. The phone w/ case just fits into the mount but you can still squeeze the clamp together tighter on it.

I'm really planning on testing it out this weekend, I'll keep you updated.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks cool Man. If I were not an engineer for an AT&T competitor, I would have an iPhone without a doubt. Maybe.. just maybe.. one day.. apple will make a CDMA version... (probably LTE by the time anything happens)

But, about the case. Its waterproof? It is a bit big on the handlebars, no? In the summer time you have to be careful about all the sticker bushes that overgrow and may grab hold of that thing. Is it very secure on the bars?

A

Andrew16v

The Pearl is much better ...

Hey Syadasti, I just want to personaly thank you for ruining the joy of my new toy. I am kicking myself for being such a "fanboy" and buying this junk overpriced phone. I also want to thank you for completely pissing in my topic about what a peice of crap my iPhone is since page one! I thought you were done thowing stones when you corrected me on how inferior my GPS chip is. Here all I wanted to do was show my set up for other's who might want to know their possiblities with their iPhone. Damn good thing you came in here and let us all know whats really up!

Why don't you delete your post's and go creat your own topic called "Why the iPhone sucks, why everything else is better, and why you're all such and idiots for buying one." Then you can climb up onto your soap box and shout to the world your opinions. I'd rather it get no more bumps to the top and fall into oblivion and just be able to be searched for someone wanting to know there options instead of you letting everyone know where you stand!

If you can't tell, now your starting to annoy me with very informative posts. And you doing your part for RIM, Nokia, and everyother phone that's better than the iPhone to sway them away from purchasing the iPhone! You should be getting a commission check, well maybe not that much, but aleast a thank you card!

As far as I'm concerned you can take your nice little diagrams and proven stats (which make it so obvious why it was such a mistake for me and anyother iPhone users to purchase and like their phone) and stick them you know where and let this topic get back to topic!

Peace!

Last edited by a moderator:

kush

You're not the first to have such a reaction.

Congratulations on your iPhone / setup.

On reflection, I think if I was a bit smarter about it, I would've done what you did, and saved some dough on the 705. iPhone rocks for sure. Especially that my work will cover the monthly plan. :hmmm:

A

Andrew16v

:cry:DON'T IT KUSH, THE IPHONE SUCKS AND ITS WAYYY OVER PRICED:cry:

J/K! Well, they'll be around for a while. The next gen iPhone is supposed to be even better, and I don't see them stop making them anytime in the near future so, wait it out till your 705 breaks (that should be a while) or you get sick of it! Then get one, but beware of haters! ;)

Top Bottom