New 7-Mile, Multi-Use Trail Loop Opens in Sterling Forest

Kaleidopete

New 7-Mile, Multi-Use Trail Loop Opens in Sterling Forest
https://www.nynjtc.org/news/new-7mile-multiuse-trail-loop-opens-sterling-forest

Image2.jpg

06BlueBeauty

Has anyone ridden sterling forest? Could anyone give me a suggestion as to where to start and what trail to hit? Thanks in advance...

Brad

Mr.Moto

Has anyone ridden sterling forest? Could anyone give me a suggestion as to where to start and what trail to hit? Thanks in advance...

Brad

There are two parking areas. The good one to start at is at Buttonwood and South Gate road entrance in Tuxedo, NY......GPS coordinates: 41.176501,-74.227159

The trail is essentially a loop. You can download the trailforks app and use it as a guide. Don't know if it has the newest section on it yet though.

May join up with some friends tomorrow morning at 9 for a loop if you are interested.

oobaa47

Brad

I second what Mr. Moto said. I start at the Buttonwood/Southgate lot. The first 10 or so times there I've always gone clockwise for some reason. However once I tried counterclockwise, I think there's no comparison...... Ever since, I've only been doing it CCW.....I'm sure you'll love either way.....place is amazing

06BlueBeauty

Thank you guys so much for your reply. I was going to the Lot on Long Meadow but I am going to take your advice and go counter clockwise from the buttonwood southgate lot. I would actually love to go early but my son has a game. Thanks for the offer though. I'm going with a buddy of mine around 2pm. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.

rxpxskier

I second what Mr. Moto said. I start at the Buttonwood/Southgate lot. The first 10 or so times there I've always gone clockwise for some reason. However once I tried counterclockwise, I think there's no comparison...... Ever since, I've only been doing it CCW.....I'm sure you'll love either way.....place is amazing
I finally got here and went CCW from a friends advise, it seems like some of the stuff we climbed would have been real fun coming the other way, but i have to say that long downhill was a lot of fun (except one tree that interrupted the flow.) Is the "hike a bike" trail open? i did see 1 sign but wanted to know for the next time? trail forks says coming

MuniMan

I finally got here and went CCW from a friends advise, it seems like some of the stuff we climbed would have been real fun coming the other way, but i have to say that long downhill was a lot of fun (except one tree that interrupted the flow.) Is the "hike a bike" trail open? i did see 1 sign but wanted to know for the next time? trail forks says coming

The “Hike a bike” section of Redback is not recommended. Most of it is on old haul roads. Some parts are quite eroded and have become streams.

A proposal for a major rebuild/reroute of this part of the trail system is out for approval by the park administrators. Hopefully work can begin on it next spring. It will be a multi-year project.

bucknejo

am i loco if i want to ride this loop on my HT? i did the loop one time last year clockwise on my FS and remember the redback and hutchinson sections being kind of flow-y but don't remember if the palisades parts were super tech-y. this time i want to do it counter-clockwise.

understood that people will read this post and say to themselves (or out loud), just go and find out for yourself p-ssy.

Mr.Moto

am i loco if i want to ride this loop on my HT? i did the loop one time last year clockwise on my FS and remember the redback and hutchinson sections being kind of flow-y but don't remember if the palisades parts were super tech-y. this time i want to do it counter-clockwise.

understood that people will read this post and say to themselves (or out loud), just go and find out for yourself p-ssy.

Can be done on a HT. See fat bikes, HT's, SS out there. There are only a few really rocky spots.

Cannonbill

Easily rideable on a HT. I prefer a 120 mm bike in Sterling, so I do have travel, but it is not big. I think a 29r hardtail would be plenty fun

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions