Never mind E-bikes ... what about E-boards???

blackburn1973

So, on Tuesday @ 6MR I saw my first E-boards on the trail. Couple were riding on those single wheel E-boards (similar to this one: https://onewheel.com/products/xr?gc...g495QVYXVim7Krqrr7CmsM6m7kIpm8ohoC8XgQAvD_BwE), and they were wearing helmets and were taking it slowly. Honestly not sure how they were going to manage certain sections but they seemed to be having a good time. I actually think it's pretty cool but could also see a lot of potential issues if the trend takes off and the Mountain-Dew-Heads get into it. You all seen this before and any thoughts as to how it contributes to the E-discussions we've been having?

There's a lady who uses one on my local rail trail, always wearing a helmet, she zips right along on it...pretty neat.

A dew years ago there was a guy at 6 mile all the time with one. Saw three at CR about two weeks ago not doing too well. Kinda 20 feet at a time.

I remember seeing dirt boards back in norba nationals at mount snow and snowshoe. Hsvent seen them since. Not sure if they are still a thing. Looks cool though.

The full size Onewheel is ridiculously fun and more capable than you’d think...that has a lot to do with who’s riding it tho.

Holy crap, those things are expensive! They do look like a lot of fun - I've seen guys using them in Wiss a few times - but they seem to be limited. In the rockier areas, they usually walk them. I've seen them ripping along Forbidden Drive, though. They look like they'd be hard to keep balanced evenly front to back on rough terrain, but I guess that's a skill thing you'd probably get used to over time.

Looks like a lot of fun. Would also be awesome for an urban-style commute.

Fender - $85 value; Carbon Fiber Fender - $175 value - yup, they've learned how to price from the cycling world.

I'm already lucky enough to still be alive from all the crazy sh!t I've done and still doing, I don't need to up the anti anymore by trying to skateboard with a motorized wheel on the trails.

I’ve been seeing people riding them at 6MR as well. Group of 3 yesterday. A pair a couple weeks ago. It was getting dark yesterday and the one board had a light on the front. The light was what caught my attention because I wasn’t sure what was coming towards me. I’m not sure how I feel about running into these things on the trail, but I guess it’s a thing now. The trio were pretty pleasant and had good trail etiquette. I can’t say the same for the pair from a couple weeks ago.

Personally I think those things look pretty fun for riding around town or a light trail, but looks really sketchy for anything technical. I don't really see them doing any real trail damage because they don't go that fast, and the tire is wide (like fat bike wide i believe). Also they aren't cheap. I believe $1500+ which is a pretty high cost of entry. Even MTBs start a bit less than that, and are way more capable.

Speaking of e-boards...

I saw someone was the shore this past week with a version of this, considering the beach breaks are about a 2 second ride, did help the guy get to the next set quicker, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom